Righty...

Time for my slow and relaxing build after all the stress before the expo and everything :D

After a lot of pondering I was about to start a MiG-15 project...but at the last minute this here Sufa screamed for my attention!

So Sufa it is!

And it´s not a bad choice since I got all I need for it! And what I don´t have I can scratch build!

Let´s start with taking a look at what sort of goodies I´ve got shall we?

Well the kit is the venerable Hasegawa F-16D, nothing new or exciting there :P

DSC00723.jpg

Now we get to the Sufa part.....

It´s the Isra Cast Sufa conversion set, Isra Decal Sufa decals and 4 paragorn Python 4´s :woot.gif:

DSC00724.jpg

So what I don´t have in the way of resin is exhaust, cockpit nor wheel wells.... I think the Gawa exhaust is good enough and the cockpit and wheel wells I´ll scratch the

details!

Ok le´t have an in depth look at the stuff...

The Python 4´s fro paragorn.... well I have 4 of them but I´m not sure I´ll use them all for this kit....I have a Barak waiting for me in the stash as well somewhere!

DSC00725.jpg

And the Isra Cast stuff....

The spine and and the CFT´s...

DSC00726.jpg

And the rest of the odds and ends that ´s needed for this Sufa to happen...

DSC00727.jpg

And there was even a little PE sheet that might come hande when dealing with that cockpit ;)

DSC00728.jpg

There you have it :D

If you think there´s something missing don´t hesitate to shout!

In the next post there will be an update on how I dealt with all that resin!

Cheers!

Edited by Aigore

The First update...and it´s all about resin!

If you´re already proficient in dealing with resin you might not be that interested in this but everybody´s welcome to have a peek at how I do things anyways :cheers:

The resin parts are stuck on castingblocks and it´s important to remember how fragile resin parts are. They don´t flex much and are hard, so care when removing them from the casting blocks is a must!

I start either with a hobby knife or a scriber and make a mark along the part. Mostly I use a knife but when thicker parts are involved I use a scriber.

DSC00731.jpg

After the part is removed from the block I clean it and sand it a bit adn then I drill a small hole...

DSC00732.jpg

...And put it on a toothpick and stick it into plastic foam, like so

DSC00733.jpg

As I remove pieces from the blocks I alse see what Improvements I can do further along, in this cas I think clear parts would look better for the positioning lights, so I sand away the resin detail.

DSC00735.jpg

And here we come to some advanced stuff really, you can get away with using a razor saw...but I have a Dremel and it´s a lot faster to use and I don´t get blisters :P

The parts are cast with thick casting blocks and there are lots of material that needs to be removed.

A warning, resin dust is not healthy so always wear a mask of some sort when dealing with this, specially when using powertools!

This here spine need the Dremel treatment, and I´m using a cutting disc for the dremel and this here mask with a filter.

DSC00736.jpg

I cut the casting block away pretty roughly....

DSC00737.jpg

And then I use a sanding tool to smooth things oout and do the finer work.

DSC00738.jpg

And here are all the parts ready for priming or assembly...and I´m beat :P Tomorrow is another day...we´ll see what happens then

DSC00739.jpg

I hope this was useful for somebody :P

Cheers!

/edit

Oops, for got a pic...

Edited by Aigore
Hehehehe...you´re just watching it for the accidents :cheers:

We expect nothing less Janne! :P BTW, when you drill into the parts to put them on a toothpick, what adhesive if any do you use? Cant wait to see more!

We expect nothing less Janne! :thumbsup: BTW, when you drill into the parts to put them on a toothpick, what adhesive if any do you use? Cant wait to see more!

Oh I just stick them in there...no glue or anything.

When I don´t drill a hole I stick them in clay and stick the clay onto the toothpick

Well, well, well.

Here he is again doing something marvelous.

And I bet he'll be done before the weeks out too.

You just can't give a regular guy a break. :worship:

Well jokes aside, Great choice Janne, :cop:

Good luck, and I'm for sure is going to save your pics since I got four of the older set from Isra in my stash that hasn't got built yet.

Congrats by the way on your medals last weekend.

I'll have to go to IPMS Göteborg some time.

Best Regards

Bosse from Sweden

Update time!

And it´s time for some PE and resin assembly and preparation!

This will also be a pretty basic update in how I deal with the stuff...in fact I took so many pics that it´ll be two updates!

I hope noone will be annoyed by the basic level and ammount of pics...if so, just don´t read the thread :D

Well let´s get down to business!

The Sufa differs from an ordinary F-16D in many ways and IsraCast has supplied very good pictures of the areas in need of corrections.

There will be other things that needs to be detailed even if they´re in both versions of the aircraft... just for the H of it :thumbsup:

If we take a look at the bottom part of the airframe first, first thing I noticed is that the main gear well is pretty spartan ( the well in the Mitsubishi F-2 is far more detailed) that has to be dealt with later.

Secondly I started marking wing a pencil where modifications are needed, all those circles if you can see them. Some areas will be filled with putty, like the are infront of the gear well and the flare/chaff dispensers.

Other areas will recieve extra parts out of PE, resin or scratch builds.

It´s nice to make an overview of the build, it makes it easier to plan ahead!

DSC00742.jpg

Ok now it´s time to start messing around!

First I filled the spots that needed filling and then I started at the rear and worked my way from there.

Let´s move on to the PE and how I attach it. First of all you need to get the part off the sheet and I´ve found that this straight knifeblade is perfect for the job! It makes straight cuts

and you rarely have to sand away brass pins from the parts, just a few quick moves with a file and you´re done!

DSC00754.jpg

After I´ve cut out the pices and trimmed it I look at where it´s going and if i need to bend it in some way, this part needs to be a bit curved with no sharp bends. So I just roll it around the shaft of a hobby knife or something similar.

DSC00745.jpg

Then I dryfit the part and mark the edges with a pencil...

DSC00747.jpg

Now I have a sillouette of the part in place..

DSC00748.jpg

I then put a drop of CA glue and smear it around with a toothpick right inside the shape I´ve drawn.

DSC00750.jpg

Then I put the part in place carefully and press hard on it! Don´t worry if a little glue leaks out around the edges, you

can easily sand that away AFTER it´s dry! otherwise you might make a mess of things :D

DSC00752.jpg

Right, and a few more small pieces attached in the same fashion...

DSC00755.jpg

That´s pretty much all about the PE, lets move on to the resin...

Resin parts often replaces kit parts, that means you have to cut things away!

This might be a bit scary at first but no worries! Even if you mess upp terribly, don´t panic...you can repair pretty much anything with

plasticard or putty! So don´t be afraid of making rough cuts into things!

First thing I removed was the front of the cockpit and the area infront of the cockpit...it´ll all be replaced by a resin piece.

Once again my Dremel comes in handy with a cutting disc.

I mark the area to be removed and then I cut with the dremel about 1mm off the line I´ve drawn with a pencil...it´s better to leave some material

than trying to follow a perfect line. You´re bound to mess up! So leave a little material and remove it with a file later...harder to make a mistake that way :D

DSC00744.jpg

Well that´s it for part one...

in part two I´ll show how to remove parts without a dremel and a little more PE assembly

Cheers!

Edited by Aigore

Part 2!

Here I´ve added a few more parts, both PE (the same way as before) and a resin gun port..nothing to fuzz about very simple, just remember to dry fit before glueing!

The PE...

DSC00756.jpg

...and the resin...

DSC00758.jpg

Now then, here´s some tricky modifications to be made! The top of the tailfin needs to be replaced by a resin part and the tail fin needs to get the base removed since

it´ll be attached to the new resin spine.

I´ve marked the material to be removed with a pencil.

DSC00759.jpg

You might thing that it would be easy as pie to use a razor saw and just saw off the pieces! But there´s actually a big but...er that didn´t come out right.

Anyways,if you use a saw you´ll lose material, there´ll be a thin strip of material reduced to saw dust and that´s pretty noticeable if you´d saw away parts in both ends.

Well. what do I suggest you do then? Well use your scriber and hobby knife! First use the scriber and draw a few really deep lines and then you follow the lines with

the knifes edge....

DSC00762.jpg

And then you just break off the part! It´ll break in the fine seam you´ve made with the scriber and knif...no material lost to saw dust and you make a saving on plasticard :D

Might look a bit ragged but just sand off that excess and you´re home!

DSC00763.jpg

Same with the top of the fin, I use some dymotape to draw a straight line with the scriber ans then the knife edge..

DSC00764.jpg

..and then just break it off!

DSC00767.jpg

Here´s what it´s supposed to look like when done...

DSC00770.jpg

Same thing with the wing tip pylons that are to be removed...

DSC00771.jpg

And here´s the replacement wingtip pylon...look at all that neat PE! pretty small stuff there....I don´t know what it is but it looks good!

Really fiddley stuff :thumbsup:

DSC00772.jpg

Well end of class :D

Hope my idle rantings comes to some use :D

Cheers!

Naaah...just don´t have a life outside work :woot.gif:

Thanx Awan :woot.gif:

BTW... does anybody have any pics of the bang seats the Israelis use in their Sufas? of what I´ve found they look a bit different from standard ACESII seats.

I´ll continue to google but not found anything really useful yet...

Cheers!