Yikes... It's been almost two and a half years since this was just an idea...

Anyways, here's the in-progress thread.

I made many buildings and in the end choose the garage/shop structure as it confined the action more. I sculpted most of the guys in back. The helicopter is Italeri's 1/72 MH-60K with heavy modifications to update and correct the kit. I used all sorts of stuff and to be honest, I can't remember, but it's all in the in-progress thread, so if you are so inclined, grab a cup of coffee and read on! Anyways here's some pictures. I wish it wasn't windy so I could go outside and take pictures. The helicopter is supported by the fast ropes, and it's not the most stable (esp in windy conditions), but it holds and holds well.

001.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

020.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

030.jpg

021.jpg

There's my two cents, so what's yours?

Take care,

Austin

Amazing! :banana: Absolutely astonishing! It's really hard to believe this is in 1/72 scale. :pray:

The loaded rotor really adds to the realistic impression. And all those sculpted figures. :)

Do you intend to make a dio base for the whole dio? Some street with a (tiny) bit of surrounding neighbourhood?

Well done Arkhunter!

A couple of things strike me about your diorama:

1) It tells a story and captures the intensity of moment.

2) It's dynamic, it actually seems like the soldiers are moving and that the chopper is wallowing as it off loads the troops.

3) It seems very natural as though the chopper is actually hovering one doesn't get the sense that it is attached to the base.

4) It is very creative and well executed.

Whats Next?

Thanks guys! The base is almost done. Pics with my dad's DSLR will be next week I'm guessing. Next time I'll be sure to look for finished wood so I don't have to go through the whole staining/varnishing process again....lol

Take care,

Austin

• 2 weeks later...

This is REALLY nice, Austin! I can't believe I missed the completed project, as I remember checking your WIP thread periodically and thinking "this should be interesting when he's finished..."

Awesome job!

Edited by TomcatFanatic123