Their going to ruin Top Gun?

history suggests that most sequel ends up being POS. The only exceptions that came to mind were the "original" Star Wars trilogy and Lord of The Rings trilogy.

*cough*Aliens*cough* :crying2:

Cheers,

Andre

history suggests that most sequel ends up being POS. The only exceptions that came to mind were the "original" Star Wars trilogy and Lord of The Rings trilogy.

*cough* The Godfather: Part II *cough*

*cough* Wrath of Khan *cough*

*cough* Terminator 2 *cough*

Top Gun was a Popcorn movie. I think I was 14 when it came out and left thinking the F-14 was the coolest plane ever. Mission accomplished. It was no art film nor was it a documantary. A sequel will probably be pretty much the same deal. Keep your expectations real low and enjoy the airplane pictures and you will get your money's worth. Wouldn't Maverick most likely be retired by now anyway?

When somebody finally did give us a real documantary in "Speed and Angels" it totally blew Top Gun out of the water and it was actually more exciting than the original. Thus proving that the facts are often far more interesting than the fiction. It actually cranked up the F-14 a few notches above #1 if that is possible.

SO the F-14 remains the coolest plane ever.

Man, the years just haven't been too kind to her.

Robert

She was quite the party animal in those days. I had a conversation with one of the "MiG-28" pilots, and he said at the "wrap party" he was at the bar talking to her when she literally passed out drunk. He said the funny thing was the lack of reaction to her passed out on the floor; people just walked around her, since it was evidently a regular event. Once she was revived by her bodyguard, she stripped nekkid and went for a swim in the hotel pool, and there was much cheering.

Regards,

Murph

What's the big deal?

The first one was entertaining, the second one will be entertaining.....and all the self-proclaimed experts will do what they do best....dissect every scene and talk about how it isn't realistic.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

If they make it, it will return HUGE profits, period.

I say make it. I'll watch.

Yes indeed, I will also add the Dark Knight to that fine list.

The best news about this Top Gun II is it might open up the flood gates to a host of even worse sequels, reboots, and other quick buck hunks of junk... I bet Top Gun 7, Revolution/Resurrection will be as good as Saw VII.

Maybe its Time the Top Gun Mafia just concedes that Top Gun is a fine stand alone movie and just claim that anything else made after it isn't even real Top Gun.

(Trekkies do this all the time)

r151092_538084.jpg

^What the Tomcat Mafia may look like^

At least one actor hasn't changed.

cruiserisky21.jpg

Tom Cruise, circa "Risky Business"

tom-cruise-couch-jump-oprah.jpg

Tom Cruise, on Oprah...

See...NO DIFFERENCE. :rolleyes: He's still $%^&ing weird.

Sorry to hear about Kelly McGillis and Val Kilmer though. Oh well... c'est la vie.

Not watching TGII though.

Your Tom Cruise Wall of Weird Trivia Tidbit for the day is: "October 10, 2006 was declared "Tom Cruise Day" in Japan; the Japan Memorial Day Association said that he was awarded with a special day because he has made more trips to Japan than any other Hollywood star.[42]"

Well...now we know...the Japanese "celebrity loving" public is bat$*** insane TOO!

Edited by The_Animal
Guest Hoban Washburne

Assuming they actually make this movie, the best part will be watching the Hornet or Super Hornet skyrocket in popularity. You will see an explosion of F-18 toys, t-shirts, kites, die-cast replicas, kids wanting to fly the F-18...etc.

So finally, the F-18 will be more popular than the F-14, and the fat, old, balding Tomcat mafia will have no choice but to gingerly shake their liver spotted clenched fists at the younger generation and claim, "they don't make 'em like they used to." And the slacker generation will shrug, turn away, and mutter something about "crazy old men" while eagerly scanning through the glowing pages of their latest download from Modern Air Combat magazine on their KindleIII, full-color HD reading tablets...

Your Tom Cruise Wall of Weird Trivia Tidbit for the day is: "October 10, 2006 was declared "Tom Cruise Day" in Japan; the Japan Memorial Day Association said that he was awarded with a special day because he has made more trips to Japan than any other Hollywood star.[42]"

That's because once in Japan, Tom Cruise is "almost" normal height.

IMO, they ruined Top Gun the instant they made it. The first couple of minutes were great, but as soon as the Tom Cruise diva drama started, along with the cigar chomping over the top CAG, I was done with it except for some of the flight scenes.

I always thought The Final Countdown was the definitive modern Naval Aviation movie. Even though it was science fiction, it was a far more serious and accurate treatment of the subject. I reported to the Nimitz a couple of years after I saw The Final Countdown and was amazed at how well the movie had captured the atmosphere of the ship. Oh, and the best flight scene EVER put into a movie was that inverted dive/roll/level out scene during the F-14/Zero sequence.

In Top Gun, they made it look as though Navy squadrons were populated by a bunch of college frat boys that were given jets to play with. And Kelly M. as a fishnet hose wearing "tech rep?" Yeah, that is likely. More probable would be some crusty Vietnam fighter vet. "Her callsign is Charlie. She is a civilian, so you do not salute her." Like the pilots and RIOs weren't going to be able to figure that out. As was mentioned, it was a popcorn movie aimed at a broad audience.

I know it helped the Navy a lot with recruiting, though, and for damn sure now practically everyone on the planet knows what an F-14 is.

As a thread goes, this is just hilarious, and IF the movie is released, I would watch it with you guys so I could hear all of your comments.

In any case, regardless of accuracy, or anything else...several facts are incontrovertiblwe. Well they are true.

1. Pilots love the movie. Especially Military ones. As an airline pilot I can say that we know ALL the words.

2. The F-14 was cool before the movie, but is a legend now.

3. The movie was made for the time, SU-22's were getting splashed by F-14's so the "threat" was plausible....

The New TOP GUN has a different set of realities...

1. UAV's are the "top" of the fiscal food chain.

2. F-22 and F-35 are in danger....or have diminished futures...

3. What is exciting about dropping an LGB thru the overcast on a 4 runner?

The things that remain the same...

Any woman can look like a kajillon bucks when she is talking about planes to pilots.

Bar games are always entertaining.

A Super Hornet will look great on the big screen,,,,just the the Tomcat.

Shameless predicition...

Tom Cruise will make a cameo as "son of Viper on the ramp at Fallon.

Then you have those that are a little of both...Avator comes to mind.

Anyway, you know what MIGHT make a decent Top Gun movie? A prequel. Put it back to the early days of Top Gun. I don't know if it's accurate but throw a few F-4's in there and BAMMMM I'm sold.

Bill

A prequel, done right with all the right people behind the scenes, would be worth seeing. Otherwise, Ill wait till it shows up on Netflix.

Big deal! :D

Top Gun sucked, Top Gun II will suck, just like almost every "remake" or sequel or "old-TV-show-turned-into-a-bad-movie" churned out by the morons in Follywierd sucks. :rofl:

There are so many fantastic books written every year, that would make excellent screenplays, but does Follywierd do them? NOOOOO! They don't have enough collective brain cells to do that. And most of the "actors" are no better.

They will probably now come out with the movie Leave it to Beaver next year.

Just my 2¢.

Larry

Guest Michael Bay

I can't wait to direct 2OP GUN: ALL I DO IS WIN

But why is everyone talking about the Rhino? The F-18 won't be the star...

AIR_F-35C_Launch_Concept_lg.jpg

But what's TOP GUN without a catchy theme song? The original had

and
, which were fine for the time but TG2K10 demands something fresh, so it'll feature
Jay-Z and

And don't worry Tomcat fans, F-14s will be in the movie plenty...

p_F_14A_IRIAF.jpg

Swear to god, this will be like printing money. BOOM!!!!

Guest Michael Bay

You left out Bad Boys II. Now go get me another Power Gel. I'm about to beat my top score on Duck Hunt.