Anybody taking bets on Tamiya's 1/32 announcement??

I came up with over 25 nations that have flown the P-51D off the top of my head. I think there are many more than that as well as numerous civilian operators. The color and markings possibilities are mind boggling. I don't build 1/32 scale but I will buy at least one from Tamiya anyway. I have already submitted some of my markings choices to a decal maker.

I have had the privilage of a flight a P-51D. It was magnificent. The sound of the Merlin winding up to takeoff power was absolutly wonderful. One of the most memorable experiences of my life.

:rolleyes:

I like the Corsair far more than the Mustang, far far more. BUT, a Mustang means i can build a Swedish one, or two or three, and Ferrocious Frankie as a complement to MH434 and Biltema's Cavalier Mustang. The Packard-Merlin 266 is already produced, in the Spitfire mk XVI kit. And i do hope this isn't an april fools day thing..........

(And does it not make sense, given that they've already got the Merlin engine tooled up from the Spit? Only slight differnece between the RR and Packard Merlins, right?)

No difference to the modeler, other than nameplate.

Tim

Someone's disinterest in Corsairs is showing - too bad, because you'd expect a decal guy to get it right.

FOUR USN/USMC schemes: blue-gray/gull gray, non-specular sea blue/blue-gray/gull gray, tricolor (not "three tone", where did that come from?), gloss sea blue. Post-war reserve -1Ds had bright orange markings. Late-war aircraft had G symbols on the tail and wings.

Royal Navy camo

Salvadorean Air Force schemes - they had a couple, including a very complicated "jungle" camouflag

RNZAF aircraft - allover blue but NOT always allover gloss sea blue

P-51Ds - OD/NG, natural metal with OD or DG tops, natural metal or aluminum paint (same difference on a model...), Dominican AF camo. Same ol' same ol'... plus it's Air Farce. AND a Mustang. Boring aircraft. :moai:

The Corsair would be an awesome choice for their next kit.

I don't even think the blues are a bad scheme, it takes a real talent to get the shades and fading correct. And what is more significant to the Japanese market who Tamiya markets? A Corsair or a Mustang? I'd say a Corsair as it fought there Zero in the Pacific.

No difference to the modeler, other than nameplate.

Tim

Ohh, but there are visual differences. Edgar could tell you in detail. I know of the header tank for the intercooler coolant and some piping in connection to that tank.

My guess (or is it fond hope) is that they will release a 1/32 scale Japanese Nakajima B5N KATE with the torpedo with the shallow running rig as used at Pearl Harbor plus the bombs they carried as an alternative.

Or, they will offer us the 1/32 scale Japanese Aichi D3A VAL dive bomber.

Either will be acceptable.

Stephen

And what is more significant to the Japanese market who Tamiya markets? A Corsair or a Mustang? I'd say a Corsair as it fought there Zero in the Pacific.

So did the Mustang, over Japan itself and other areas of Japanese occupied territory.

The question is which would make them more money. Mustang hands down. So many more air forces, so many more possibilities. Just the RCAF itself offers a number of very attractive schemes, including wartime. I'm in for three... to start... one Polish, one RCAF post-war and one 8th AF scheme.

Not saying the Corsair wouldn't be a great choice, just not this time I don't think.

Cheers,

Richard

So did the Mustang, over Japan itself and other areas of Japanese occupied territory.

The question is which would make them more money. Mustang hands down. So many more air forces, so many more possibilities. Just the RCAF itself offers a number of very attractive schemes, including wartime. I'm in for three... to start... one Polish, one RCAF post-war and one 8th AF scheme.

Not saying the Corsair wouldn't be a great choice, just not this time I don't think.

Cheers,

Richard

But it is what the Japanese market buys that really drives this market. I am sure the Mustang will sell there well too but I have to wonder what would sell better in Japan.

I agree with your Mustang comments for the rest of the world.

I'm amused by someone who includes the FAA in a list for the Corsair but not the RAF for the Mustang.

However, if you really want to judge on "most colour schemes" we would never have got any Zero, and the leading subject has to be the T-6 (and its variants). Plus it fought for the Japanese throughout the Pacific War - if you doubt that, don't you ever go to the cinema?

Someone's disinterest in Corsairs is showing - too bad, because you'd expect a decal guy to get it right.

Not remotely true. I love the Corsair. But I've also been in the business for a long time. A 1/32 Mustang has WAY more sales potential than the Corsair, no matter how much you, I, or anyone else may love the Hog. It's a simple truth. The P-51 has, arguably, MUCH more interesting, colorful markings possibilities than any Hog ever dreamed of having. If the Hog had equipped the VIII Fighter Command the situation might be different, but those units alone weigh much more heavily in the Mustang's favor as a subject matter for a new kit. And that's just a drop in the bucket.

Corsairs are (about 99.9% of them) blue, blue, or blue. Some of them have some white markings, and some have some black markings. How many red/yellow checkerboards, green noses, blue noses, gigantic nude women, big fancy script names, etc have you seen on Corsairs - with great regularity? None, that's the answer.

Regardless of any of this argument, I can tell you Tamiya isn't doing a 1/32 Corsair. Not this year.

J

I certainly hope a Corsair series is next for Tamiya, I know I'd buy a few.

The Corsair would also sell well, it still is one the most iconic and beloved WWII aircraft and a good 1/32 line-up is sorely missing.

I'm amused by someone who includes the FAA in a list for the Corsair but not the RAF for the Mustang.

True enough, but my point was that FAA Corsairs had unique schemes that did not involve "blue". RAF Mustangs, at least as concerns Mustang IVs (D models) were, as far as I can recall, the same color(s) as US D models. I don't recall any sea gray/dark green Mustang IVs, but I am willing to be corrected on that.

True enough, but my point was that FAA Corsairs had unique schemes that did not involve "blue". RAF Mustangs, at least as concerns Mustang IVs (D models) were, as far as I can recall, the same color(s) as US D models. I don't recall any sea gray/dark green Mustang IVs, but I am willing to be corrected on that.

How about this one?

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR...f4k1QO1uwZJc93H

I'm wondering how marketable these large scale, expensive kits are in Tamiya's home market. They are not cheap and I have to wonder how many of them each modeler purchases. Perhaps Tamiya does not care much about how many different schemes can go on a particular aircraft if the Japanese modeler generally purchases only one each of these big kits.

From a marketing perspective it may be much more important to be able to produce different boxings of the same general airframe, thus generating more sales that way. I have no evidence to back this up, but it seems people would prefere to buy/build one each of the Spit's Mk.VII, Mk. IX and Mk. XIV rather than buy/build three Mk. IX's. Notice I said "buy/build." Collectibility and plastic fondling are more attractive with different boxings also, no?

Just some thoughts!

What if they saw how well the Kinetic S2F was selling and decided to "go for it" in 1/32nd! To some of us, it would be a dream come true! But reality says the manufacturing folks will take the safe route and come out with another Me 109, after all that's what the world needs more of!

In less than a month we'll know! :) My bet: it rhymes with "P-51D"
How about this one?

Well, that's a warbird for starters, so doesn't count... but yes, you made me look and I was mistaken: there were indeed sea gray and dark green Mustang IVs. My bad. I'll plead willful ignorance - while this will probably incite some to grab pitchforks and torches and start searching for my house, I personally consider the P-51D to be one of the most, if not the most, boring aircraft designs ever. It just looks unbalanced to me. The B model was no hot shakes in the design department, but it looks a lot better than a D to me. And the H seemed to correct the "balance", I will admit to finding the H design more aesthetically pleasing. But the D.... bleh. Best thing that ever happened to a P-51D airframe was the Piper Enforcer. :rofl:

Well, that's a warbird for starters, so doesn't count... but yes, you made me look and I was mistaken: there were indeed sea gray and dark green Mustang IVs. My bad. I'll plead willful ignorance - while this will probably incite some to grab pitchforks and torches and start searching for my house, I personally consider the P-51D to be one of the most, if not the most, boring aircraft designs ever. It just looks unbalanced to me. The B model was no hot shakes in the design department, but it looks a lot better than a D to me. And the H seemed to correct the "balance", I will admit to finding the H design more aesthetically pleasing. But the D.... bleh. Best thing that ever happened to a P-51D airframe was the Piper Enforcer. :whistle:

Yes..it is a warbird...but it is painted up as close to the original as we can get. There were at least 4 P-51's painted in that scheme right at the end of the war.

Sean

I know what it is! It's an OS2 Kingfisher complete with catapault in 1/32nd scale!!!

glt

As long of a shot as that sounds, I'd be first in line to buy one if not two. As far as the Corsair or the Mustang goes, even though they are more likely, I'll pass.

I'm still hoping someone will do an F7F in 1/32 someday, that way you can have all of the prop driven Grumman cats in 1/32.