These people need to be boycotted.

For as little as they pay their workers there is no reason to charge these prices. I mean the Chinese not the retailer. thank god for someone that at least gives a decant discount. Otherwise this thing would be completely out of reach.

http://www.greatmodels.com/~smartcart/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=GWHL4807

GWHL4807.JPG

Edited by Otto

For a little as they pay their workers there is no rite to charge these prices.

:sign_spam:

Why don't you check your facts before calling for the boycott of someone's business.

Pretty much everyone else charges as much for it or more.

SB is a bit cheaper but that's the same price range.

I suspect he's suggesting a boycott of the Great Wall Hobby, not of GreatModels.

I do apologize, YES I did mean "Great Wall" Not Loik at Great Model. He is a great guy and I buy a lot from him. It's just that I got my E-Flyer from him and saw this thing advertised. retail $80 Without getting the 20% the reds can shove the thing. For me no more Trumpeter, Great Wall, or Hobby Boss. Tamiya just released the 1/48 Hurricane for $62 list and it's a hi discount at 25%. Fourty six is still a hi price for a single engine 1/48 airplane but it's still better than $64. I will edit my initial post to say what I meant.

You get a TON more in that box than most manufacturers offer: canopy masks, insignia and wingwalk masks, photo-etch, multiple options on ordnance and canopies - totally worth the $55-$64 range but what sold it for me was the fellow who posted the shot of the main assembly together -without- any glue, precision like that. It is indeed a hot potato (at least in the US) and from the info going around folks are truly 'voting with their wallets' - More Please, and thank you GWH.

Edited by metroman

You get a TON more in that box than most manufacturers offer: canopy masks, insignia and wingwalk masks, photo-etch, multiple options on ordnance and canopies - totally worth the $55-$64 range but what sold it for me was the fellow who posted the shot of the main assembly together -without- any glue, precision like that. It is indeed a hot potato (at least in the US) and from the info going around folks are truly 'voting with their wallets' - More Please, and thank you GWH.

I''m in the paint stage on the GWH TBD kit. A bit of advise, don't use the canopy masks. The adhesive is too weak to hold them in place, especially on a curved surface and 60% don't fit- - either too long, too narrow or both. Otherwise, no real problems so far, the wing center section did need a bit of massaging to get it to fit.

Cheers, Terry

Then don't buy it. Simple.

Please pass go and collect your $200!

It's really simple isn't it? This isn't food or fuel, it's a model. Don't like the price? Don't buy it. The most important value rating of a luxury like this is the value *YOU* place on it. Your kids won't starve if you don't have it. And you won't suffer.

All this wailing and gnashing of teeth over kit prices just shows how easy we have it.

Boycott? Have at it. We'll sit here in the gallery giggling.

Edited by Dmanton300

So, let's see who'll be hurt by your boycott; the manufacturer? Well, no, since they've sold it to the wholesaler/distributor. Then there's the distributor; well, no, since they've sold it to the retailer. Now we arrive at the retailer, who has shelled out for the kit, that you're going to refuse to buy. If his sales dry up, and he's forced to close, will you joyfully transfer your business to another (if you can find one,) or will you be buying from a foreign stockist, who might be based in Hongkong, and saying how delighted you are that your money is going into the economy of another country?

Incidentally, do you actually know the wage structure at Great Wall?

Edited by Edgar

I do apologize, YES I did mean "Great Wall" Not Loik at Great Model. He is a great guy and I buy a lot from him. It's just that I got my E-Flyer from him and saw this thing advertised. retail $80 Without getting the 20% the reds can shove the thing. For me no more Trumpeter, Great Wall, or Hobby Boss. Tamiya just released the 1/48 Hurricane for $62 list and it's a hi discount at 25%. Fourty six is still a hi price for a single engine 1/48 airplane but it's still better than $64. I will edit my initial post to say what I meant.

You really do need to keep up with the current exchange rates of your currency against active manufacturing nations. xe.com is a great eye-opener if you do a search of the history page.

G

I''m in the paint stage on the GWH TBD kit. A bit of advise, don't use the canopy masks. The adhesive is too weak to hold them in place, especially on a curved surface and 60% don't fit- - either too long, too narrow or both. Otherwise, no real problems so far, the wing center section did need a bit of massaging to get it to fit.

Cheers, Terry

Same goes for the Fw-189 masks...and there are a lot of them. I fell back on Tamiya tape and Maskol

on mine.

You really do need to keep up with the current exchange rates of your currency against active manufacturing nations. xe.com is a great eye-opener if you do a search of the history page.

G

I check the exchange rates every day, sometimes a few times a day. There is still no excuse for these prices.

I'm with you, Otto, but as long as there are enough guys out there willing to spend the money, those prices are only going to go up.

And yes, I'm not a stupid, I do realize that this IS only a hobby (and yes, my bills, family and church come first), and the exchange rates vary, etc, etc, but, you guys really don't think these prices for 1/48th scale single-engine aircraft are getting out of hand? :tumble:

Oh, and I do make my vote on these prices with my wallet. If I can't afford them, I don't buy them.

Edited by DonSS3

I check the exchange rates every day, sometimes a few times a day. There is still no excuse for these prices.

Not sure what the gripe is here and why you threw in the bit about what (you think) they pay their workers. Are you concerned that the price is too high, or they don't pay their workers enough?

If they paid their workers more, would you be OK with the current price?

If they dropped the price, but didn't change what the workers are paid, would that be OK?

Just trying to figure out if your concern is their workers or your pocketbook. Besides, if there really was a boycott, other than the company shutting down and the workers being fired, what would change? Really don't see what this "boycott" is supposed to acomplish. In any case, people who think the kit isn't worth the price already aren't buying it, so some people are boycotting it already.

With the price of oil rising it will only get worse.It is crazy what some importers charge for the kits when the same thing can be bought in China,Japan,S Korea for half the price or less.And then when you get it there are inaccurate mold problems with the kit.

I do it once per day and before any foreign exchange transaction.

Nevertheless, if the exchange rate is in favour of the seller the buyer will either stump-up or forgo.

I've had decades of just such imbalance when the Aussie was in the US$0.70 range, now we're above parity, the only hangup with USA dealers getting my good money is exorbitant shipping. I may be silly, but not stupid.

There's my 'boycott'. No $ale.

G

Edited by Grant in West Oz

For as little as they pay their workers there is no reason to charge these prices. I mean the Chinese not the retailer. thank god for someone that at least gives a decant discount. Otherwise this thing would be completely out of reach.

http://www.greatmodels.com/~smartcart/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=GWHL4807

GWHL4807.JPG

I have some very good Chinese friends working in Xiamen and Shanghai and they earn a very respectable living working in their industry. Can we Please keep the politics and personal vendettas out of the discussion of plastic modeling. The broad statement of the wages that the Chinese businesses pay their workers has little bearing on the high prices of plastic kits....a petroleum product. Taken a look at the Hasegawa 1/48 prices lately? $60 retail on a 1/48 Bf-109G-6 isn't "out of reach"? I don't see any Japanese political comments on how little they pay their workers.... Oh and before you wrap yourself in the American flag, at least recognize that if you use the word God in print, it needs to be captialized.