Tamiya 1/48th IL-2 Shturmovik

Times 2 on the La-7 since the HobbyCraft/Academy and Eduard are in left field. How Eduard could have screwed that one up is besides me since they have them in Czech museums and they could have photographed and Measured it. I have enough of the Eduard kits and Zvezda kits to kit-bash a good La-7 at this point.

1. 1/48 La-7 is NOT an Eduard kit, all design, masters and probably molds were done by Gavia-a separate entity. Eduard only re-packaged that kit later on.

2. What's such a "screw up" with this kit? All the whining I have read so far was about l/g length and canopy width, based

on (which?) drawings ONLY!

How can people possibly more interested in F4U than Il-2? I honestly cannot wrap my mind around that. None WW2 planes screams more bore as much as that one.

Then again, lots of people build F-16's, -14's and -18's...

:sarcasm_on: Are you sure you didn't forget to put a sarcastic note on this before you posted?

Cheers,

John

Edited by CF104

Then to add insult to injury, I'm at the local LHS yesterday afternoon. They have two 1/48th Tamiya Lancasters on the shelf for the cheap price of $135!!!

Who else makes a 1/48 Lancaster? Until there's a competitor of equal/better quality out there, if a modeler wants one, they just have to live with that, wouldn't they? Same goes for the 1/32 Mustang/Spit.

I bought the Tamiya JagedTiger the other day when it had a 50% off sticker on it. Nice kit, but not for what I could buy the Dragon kit for.

This. Tamiya's tank models may indeed be nice. But for the same price, if not lower, Dragon's offering equal if not better quality kit, plus aluminum barrel, photo-etched, etc. In this simple content-for-the-money game, Tamiya does not win.

So they are banking on their reputation, history, and "brand value." Having the 2 stars on the package makes that kit relevant, if you will. When modelers go beyond that and see the price/content gap with a competing brand and vote with their wallets, Tamiya will surely be in a world of hurt. Kind of like Korean TV makers vs. Sony in the TV-making world nowadays.

Edited by razgriz

1. 1/48 La-7 is NOT an Eduard kit, all design, masters and probably molds were done by Gavia-a separate entity. Eduard only re-packaged that kit later on.

2. What's such a "screw up" with this kit? All the whining I have read so far was about l/g length and canopy width, based

When you can verify with a real one there is no excuse for a mistake. If it is so right than the new existing La-5s are wrong than . I once thought the same thing about the Gavia/Eduard kit that it just can't be wrong.

I've always liked the Il-2, but I'd nuch rather had a Yak-9. I also like to see Zvezda do the La7 and 9 in the same quality as they did the La-5. I really liked the La-5 kits

gary

Yeah, agree. But first in line seems to be Su-2 (which has been pushed again, all the way to 2013...), and then Yak-3. Which will probably be released around same time we will have operational F-35's...

Because there is not a single decent F4U-4 out there. The new Hobby Boss one is not even close so that still leaves the 70s Hasegawa kit as the only one that is even remotely close to scale outline. It is still with raised panel lines and lacking in detail. The -4 is about the most famous of all Corsairs since there is the most of them still flying.

Okei, that is understandable.

Besides a few people in Russia, Poland, Czechoslovakia and North Korea, who can go to a Museum to see one? What other part of the world knows what a real Shturmovik looks like? I doubt that a hand full of Japanese will ever see a IL-2 in real life anywhere. And would ever be able to tell how scale it is. There is more Yak-11s world wide than most any other prop driven vintage Russian aircraft ever made.

There is one in a museum here in Norway. And the only flying Il-2 is as far as i known built on order by some Americans, and that is where it will live. Besides, that is pretty moot point. Is there many living He-111 or Ju-88 around the world?

I think fuselage is way too fat. I remember a thread where fuselage had to have many cuts to lower it. It wasn't based only on drawings, but one could certainly feel fuselage was too fat compared to pictures.

:sarcasm_on: Are you sure you didn't forget to put a sarcastic note on this before you posted?

Cheers,

John

Why exactly? It is my personal opinion that Corsair is bore, and so is F-14, F-16 and F-18. Lots of people have problem with that opinion (and some people have trouble understanding it is just an opinion) so i am not bothering saying it aloud too often here on forums.

Yeah, agree. But first in line seems to be Su-2 (which has been pushed again, all the way to 2013...), and then Yak-3. Which will probably be released around same time we will have operational F-35's...

I didn't know they pushed the Su-2 back to next year. They do seem a bit slow on their aircraft line. It's seems to have taken them a long time to bring out the 109f-4, considering the small changes needed from the f-2 kit. Anyway I've got plenty to build so no rush, I'd would rather they get things right than rush them out Trumpeter style!

There is one in a museum here in Norway. And the only flying Il-2 is as far as i known built on order by some Americans, and that is where it will live. Besides, that is pretty moot point. Is there many living He-111 or Ju-88 around the world?

By living do you mean flying? There are He-111s out the kazoo. all the ones that belonged to the Spanish AF that were used in the Battle of Britain movie (CASA 2.111s)OK so they have RR Merlin engines but otherwise they are the same. If you are talking about Ju-88s in museums, there is quite a few. There are a few just here in the US. There should be a He-111H (LB-77) in the Czech republic. since they were flying a few of them well after the war. Also He-219s. The one "ordered for some Americans" is that a restoration or a reproduction? Either way if it is being done today, who knows how true to detail it actually will be since it most likely have a modern engine most likely a RR or Allison if it will be in the US. Don't get me wrong, I like the Il-2 as also the IL-10 but the Accurate miniatures is more than good enough and all the update parts that are available for them can be bought for a song. I have two of the wooden wing updates sitting in my stash alone. There is a lot available for that kit. I believe that someone out there that has cough the "improper spinner" has made one out of resin and is available for a few bucks. As far as Spit Mk-IXs (which someone else has mentioned as required) there is a ton of good ones out there also. The second generation Occidental and the ICM kits are quite nice, and as close to scale outline as Tamiya will come if they ever decide to do one for 4x as much money. I have a bunch of those kits and really like them. The LaG-3, -5 and La-5s coming out of Russia are also extremely nice kits and very affordable.

Edited by Otto

I wouldn't say that. I appreciate a new mold kit, with all the hub-bub about the hobby dying. However, the subject choice is a headscratcher to me.

Ken

First of all, I don't believe the hobby is "dying" per se. It is evolving in a direction where we don't know what the outcome will be. I don't think of a new tool IL-2 as being a head scratcher any more than say Italeri doind a 1/48 Hurricane Mk 1. Some people asked the same question as to why they would do one when Hasegawa has done several and Airfix still has their kit. The price point of an Italeri Hurricane is also about double of what one can find a Hasegawa Mk1 for on the secondary market.

BTW, maybe we should have considered the Hurricane as a hint as Tamiya has reboxed the Italeri Mk 1 complete with Finnish markings (and the box art has the Finnish swastikas on it, albeit on a side panel, but not the typical "white circle" that we might more typically see from Hasegawa). Now I am kind of wondering if maybe we might see a retool of a Tamiya Buffalo into a Finnish version if Tamiya is indeed on a Soviet/Finnish kick? I built their older tool Buffalo last year and it still fit together like a dream for vintage 1970s tooling. Do a new fuselage and motor for it, yet still keep most of the rest of the parts and they could have something cool considering the Classic Airframes kit has been OOP for awhile.

It looks to me like Tamiya's strategy now for WW2 subjects is to do the hyper accuate kits in 1/32 since the market is somewhat untapped there, but leave 1/48 for the more esoteric subjects. Frankly, given how some of the more common aircraft types have had their holes plugged, I kind of welcome this approach to say another kit of a Mustang or a Spitfire Mk IX (even if the perfect Mk IX has yet to be done in 1/48 it seems).

When you mentioned Hurricanes, don't forget the truly exquisite one that came out from Ark Models in Russia. BTW they also have a Beautiful Yak-9K. I think I paid about $14US for mine. I ordered them from Russia or the Ukraine. When it comes to Italeri, Don't even get me started. to charge 50% more for their primitive junk Skyraider as what Tamiya charges for their work of art is beyond me. Italeri I think is actively attempting to go out of business. I think that the Italeri employees should get together and do to their management what the Italian people did to Mussolini. If they want to stay in the market with their kits.

Same here. I will get one

a Bf109G14 would have been better, but I am happy with an Il-2

The Fujimi G14 is exquisite. I had four and just sold two on eBay. The UM Models and Hasegawa are also at the top of their game. I also have a couple each of those as well.

Edited by Otto

The Fujimi G14 is exquisite. I had four and just sold two on eBay. The UM Models and Hasegawa are also at the top of their game. I also have a couple each of those as well.

I wish you'd have posted them on this board Otto, I'd have bought both of them in a heart beat! Please don't tell me the decales were mint

gary

This is still an utter head-scratcher to me. I know there were gobs of Sturmovik's built, but for one thing it's a mud mover and nothing else (usually the death knell for a model kit), and for another the vast majority of people know (if anything) almost nothing about it compared to, oh, say the Spitfire VIII/IX/XVI.

I kind of welcome this approach to say another kit of a Mustang or a Spitfire Mk IX (even if the perfect Mk IX has yet to be done in 1/48 it seems).

And it just happens that Tamiya has done the most accurate Spitfire kit ever made or likely to be made, so all they needed to do was bump the CAD files down to 1/48 and let the machinery have at it. I can guarantee they'd have sold an accurate new family of mid Spits 500 to 1 over any Sturmovik, no matter how good the Sturmovik might be. In a year you'll see the Sturmoviks at shows for $15 and we still won't have a decent 1/48 Spit VIII/IX/XVI. I just don't get it...

I wish you'd have posted them on this board Otto, I'd have bought both of them in a heart beat! Please don't tell me the decales were mint

gary

They were in sealed boxes with the plastic still on them. I still have the UM kits which I will be selling if you are interested. PM me if you are. They are done up like the Fujimi kits with the multiple tails and noses to make multiple variants. The Fujimi kits have some of the most complete decals I have ever seen. I have a set of G-10 decals from them which I will be selling since I plan on doing the aircraft in Czech post war markings. Also the Hasegawa ones. The UM kits have a tiny amount of flash that needs to be trimmed but they fit beautifully. The best part I love about the UM kits is the FULL engine detail and separate flaps.

Edited by Otto

For all of you who are complaining about nice Yak-9 kits ARK Models has very nice kits I own a bunch of their Hurricane kits and I love them. They have a whole series of Yak 9s. They have Jak-9, Jak-9T, Jak-9DD and Jak-9K. Yes it is spelled Jak not Yak. Just like Iosif and not Joseph. Hence the IS series of tanks and NOT JS. :whistle:

For all of you who are complaining about nice Yak-9 kits ARK Models has very nice kits I own a bunch of their Hurricane kits and I love them. They have a whole series of Yak 9s. They have Jak-9, Jak-9T, Jak-9DD and Jak-9K. Yes it is spelled Jak not Yak. Just like Iosif and not Joseph. Hence the IS series of tanks and NOT JS. :whistle:

I'm pretty sure the Ark Yak-9s are repops of the ICM kit(s), and as such, they've got a lot of accuracy issues -- windscreen, nose intake, forward fuselage contours, exhausts to name a few. They were definitely not ICM's best effort.

Pip Moss

Yes it is spelled Jak not Yak. Just like Iosif and not Joseph. Hence the IS series of tanks and NOT JS. :whistle:

That depends entirely on how you choose to translate it. One is not right and the other wrong. The Russian letter "Я" can just as well be translated "Ya" as "Ja". It all means the same thing.

And it just happens that Tamiya has done the most accurate Spitfire kit ever made or likely to be made, so all they needed to do was bump the CAD files down to 1/48 and let the machinery have at it. I can guarantee they'd have sold an accurate new family of mid Spits 500 to 1 over any Sturmovik, no matter how good the Sturmovik might be. In a year you'll see the Sturmoviks at shows for $15 and we still won't have a decent 1/48 Spit VIII/IX/XVI. I just don't get it...

And it won't surprise me if they eventually do that, but it is too soon to do that right this instant since they aren't quite done getting their investment out of the 1/32 tooling from what I can see. As for "decent" Spit VII/IX/XVI variants in 1/48, lets see we have ICM... Airfix... Hasegawa... and Occidental (reissued by Italeri, so Tamiya has access to the mold for the Japanese market). Sure, all kits have their issues. ICM is a bit fiddley in spots if you get one that isn't short shot, Hasegawa's kit is too short in the tail region, Airfix has some issues and of course most of us who were on RMS way back when remember the tar and feathering the Occidental kit got (which I believe ended up killing the company). Still, all the kits are buildable and look decent OOB. If you want Bubbletop Mk XVIs, ICM, Occidental and Airfix (as a club issue) have all done them as well and Airfix as I recall even did the different shaped XVI Packard Merlin cowl (which Airfix included in their IX kit giving it a Razorback XVI option as well). I should know as I have most of these in my collection already and I'm well aware of the issues. If you are a Spit purist, then okay each one has some issues. But that is what model skills are for, to overcome those issues if they really are indeed a bother to your eye of what the perfect "Spit" is.

So, does one go again with the subject everyone else has done, or the choice that few others have gone with. Okay, maybe in the US and the UK an IL-2 might not sell for as much. But, Russia is a growing model market, mainland Europe already is and then there is the Asian market which is growing as well. So frankly I think Mr. Tamiya's choice is about as rational as any other yardstick out there. Considering Tamiya's prime market has been and likely will ALWAYS be RC cars, I welcome the fact that they can do riskier choices than other model companies.

That depends entirely on how you choose to translate it. One is not right and the other wrong. The Russian letter "Я" can just as well be translated "Ya" as "Ja". It all means the same thing.

As in "Toys Ya Us" :rolleyes::whistle:

Kyen

Just to be gramatically correct - it's 'Il-2' - not 'IL-2' - in English 'Ill two' not 'eye ell two'

From the first two letters of the design bureau founder's name - Sergey Vladimirovich Ilyushin.

Here's a few pics of 'eel dva's' taken at various sites in Russia....

day02_24.jpg

day02_25b.jpg

day02_26.jpg

day02_008.jpg

day02_009.jpg

day_01_123.jpg

day_01_124.jpg

Ken

:huh:

Pardon?

I like it a lot better than the ones from Hasegawa. That's for sure. At leastt he fabric covering looks like it is suposed to and there is a lot of nice detail and the fit is quite good. I don't require a snap together model. a littyle of work is quite fun.