U.S. Air Force vs U.S. Navy

Which do you prefer to build and why? Some build all and anything that is a modern jet but there are those who have a preference. F-16's and F-15's seem very popular subjects and these are presented well in all scales (look at the nice Tamiya F-16 kits). Seems Airforce is more popular but shocking that there is not more hollywood movies with airforce jets. Look at the biggest jet movie ever Top Gun which is Nacy, TV series JAG which is Navy, makes you wonder. Thought this may be a good discussion.

Edited by Viper88

My favorite airplane is the F-4 Phantom in all variants, however I prefer the air force ones only because I was in the air force. My second favorite is the F/A-18 in all variants because it looks cool! After that I pretty much prefer USAF jets because they just look awesome. That's not to say Navy jets are not, but like I said before I was In USAF so hence the preference. The funny things the F-4 was originally for the Navy and the F-18 was originally for the Air Force.

U.S. NAVY all the way! They have had better looking planes and better movies than the air force and the airforce bought more Navy planes than the Navy has bought their planes phantoms, sluffs, skyradiers all were Navy planes to begin with, and the Navy has U.S. arifeilds you can put almost anywhere in the world. :monkeydance::taunt:

I have no clue why but I would guess I build 3 to 4 times as many Navy planes

versus Air Force. It may be that the Navy has a more diverse and interesting

"flock" as compared to the Air Force. The only other thing I can think is it

is something "subliminal". Maybe something in all those cool old Navy movies?---John

Although I build varied subjects from all branches (yes, Army and Coast Guard as well), I've always preferred Naval Aviation. I don't know, when you're able to bring down tons of airplane into a pitching ship and still catch a 3-wire, there just something special about the Navy.

Rob

USAF hands down! ...excepted for Adversaries!

USAF got a lot more variety of jets, bases/assignments , camo/schemes...

they might not be the most modern jets, but there was not much century series in the navy...neither A-10...nor spy-planes or real stealth jets...

USAF might not have the hornet... anyway i prefer canadian CF-188 over any navy/usmc hornet... so it doesn't really counts!

there was not much century series in the navy...neither A-10...nor spy-planes or real stealth jets...

An excellent point, and I find most of the Century Series (except the F-107 -what was that about?!!) absolutely sublime in elegance and pugnaciousness combined. Too bad some of them never got active and 'went CollectAire'!

However, the salt-water guys did have some equally drop-dead kit: F-8, A-4, A-7, RA-5...

A-10? Well, there was never gonna be an answer to that!

Spy-planes: U-2 or SR-71, the latter still the greatest aircraft design ever in my book. Now, I KNOW the Navy had these, cuz I seen one on a carrier (Intrepid?) in 'I Am Legend' -would love to have seen that sucker trap! :rofl:

Real stealth jets: you got an F-117 -sorry, a highly capable aircraft but looks like an outbuilding collapsed in a gale! Or B-2 -again a fine machine, but aesthetically a boomerang designed by committee.

I'm looking at these purely as modelling subjects, of course, where personal taste outweighs any other consideration. Now whatever happens, do NOT look at John Vojtech's Testors B-2

Oh well...

Edited by ChippyWho

Of the two? Generally Navy, they have more interesting paint schemes for modern aircraft. But really I don't do a lot of modern US stuff, I like the designs, but since I generally prefer to do demo birds (for the more interesting schemes), I tend to do Canadian CF-188's or European F-16's instead. Better demo schemes. The exception is the CoNA schemes, which are just frikkin awesome.

Now for classic stuff, it's A-5's and F-8's, the best looking jets ever built.

they might not be the most modern jets, but there was not much century series in the navy...neither A-10...nor spy-planes or real stealth jets...

USAF might not have the hornet... anyway i prefer canadian CF-188 over any navy/usmc hornet... so it doesn't really counts!

The Century Series was a bit of trial and error for the USAF. The F-102 being a bit of a disappointment and the F-104, while beautiful and fast, not really being the answer to any problem the AF had.

The Navy had the F-8 as the rough equivalent of the F-104 (The Crusader arguably better for its role), the A-5 as the rough equivalent of the F-105 (carry a nuke in a supersonic dash across enemy country) and the F-4 as the rough equivalent of the F-106 (supersonic, all weather, bomber interceptor).

The USAF got the F-111 to fill the A-6 Intruder's role, but never had anything like the Skyhawk (small, lightweight, maneuverable, versatile) until the F-16, which in the 70s and 80s would be the rough equivalent of the F/A-18A/C as a multi-role jack of all trades, master of none (and probably doing that better than the baby Hornet).

Edited by dmk0210

The Century Series was a bit of trial and error for the USAF. The F-102 being a bit of a disappointment and the F-104, while beautiful and fast, not really being the answer to any problem the AF had.

The F-104 was actually a solution to a problem the USAF had, but by the time it entered service the problem had been redefined (the F-104 was designed in response to the lessons of early F-86A/MiG-15 encounters, but the later experience with the F-86E produced a different set of lessons which the US adopted).

The Navy had the F-8 as the rough equivalent of the F-104 (The Crusader arguably better for its role), the A-5 as the rough equivalent of the F-105 (carry a nuke in a supersonic dash across enemy country) and the F-4 as the rough equivalent of the F-106 (supersonic, all weather, bomber interceptor).

The F-8 was more akin the the F-100 than the F-104, a very successful aircraft obsoleted by changing priorities which would go on to have a lengthy and successful career in foreign service as well, the only F-104 variants which were really similar to the F-8 were the F-104G, CF-104 or F-104S, none of which served in the USAF. The main difference is the F-8 was successful in US service where the F-104 wasn't.

The USAF got the F-111 to fill the A-6 Intruder's role, but never had anything like the Skyhawk (small, lightweight, maneuverable, versatile) until the F-16, which in the 70s and 80s would be the rough equivalent of the F/A-18A/C as a multi-role jack of all trades, master of none (and probably doing that better than the baby Hornet).

The A-7 admirably filled the Skyhawk's roles in the USAF, much as it did in the USN and USMC. And the F-111 filled a role quite different from the A-6, which had no real equivalent in the USAF (which preferred either smaller or larger strike aircraft rather than a single mid-payload all-weather strike platform back then, it wouldn't be until the F-15E entered service that the USAF would have something really akin to the A-6 in payload and capability).

Interesting thread.

Well since they cut me checks for 21 years and 21 days I lean towards building USAF birds. But I'll chase after unusuall USN birds too, i.e. Harriers, F-35s. My second preference is actually the other guys planes, Russian and former Soviet fighters.

And I have a huge softspot for Swedish designs. I have the utmost respect for their outside the box solutions which result in very unusual airplanes. Now if I could only afford those 1/48 Lansen and Tunnans that are comming out!

I find that I tend to build based on the uniqueness of the subject and the time period of the subject

More Air Force aircraft during the late 40s to early 60s were bright and colorful NMF aircraft; shiny!

More Navy/ Marine aircraft during the 50s to the late 70s as they were very colorful with their squadron markings.

While I build subjects of both services for all eras, I can only make so many gray F-15s or SEA F-4s.

I find the modern grey stuff a little boring. I honestly don't see myself ever building another F-22

Interesting topic of conversation. Here's my ten cents worth!!

If had to really choose an Air Force jet, I would take any of the twin seat F-15s like the D and the E and obviously the I, DJ, and K for foreign Air Forces. In second place for the Air Force choice I would take the B-1B Lancer. It's big, loud and you know you're in trouble if you see that coming over the hills at you!!

For Navy, well it has to be the Grumman F-14 Tomcat and not because of the Top Gun movie just to set that record straight!! In second place for the Navy choice, F/A-18F/G Super Hornet/Growler.

You notice, there is a theme here? Multi crew aircraft. Anything that has two or more crew members is cool with me. These are my main points of interest however when it comes to actually building kits, anything goes really.

My stash ranges from WWII to Korea to Vietnam, to Falklands to...you get the picture!

Edited by Andrew Maverick Taylor