I have seen "Would of" and "Should of" written on many occasions lately.

What is up with this? It's everywhere? Is it just laziness?

I find it irritating myself...and English isn't even my first language...

Oh well....rant over.

I'd suggest that you just ignore it. Otherwise you'll go crazy.

to, too, two

there, they're their

your, you're

brake, break

seam, seem

sprue, spruce

breech, breach

heel, heal

course, coarse

I doubt you can find a single thread on any message board with more that five posts that doesn't use the incorrect version of a word on that list at least once.

I could add: color, colour; tire, tyre... but that would just be mean. :sarcasm_on:

Helidriver,

Oooh I absolutely agree.

ENGLISH is not MY first language either ..MY mother tongue is complicated but it drives

ME nuts when grammatical errors are made.

Spelling is not checked...

DEFINATELY.. No! No! No!...it's. DEFINITELY. :bandhead2: :bandhead2:

it is not is n't but isn't.

It's not. does n't. But doesn't ... :bandhead2: :bandhead2:

If I COULD HAVE those making mistakes be given grammar lessons , or maybe they SHOULD HAVE been taught when they were at school so they COULD HAVE better knowledge then I WOULD HAVE loved that. :whistle: :whistle:

Of course USA ENGLISH uses spelling differently like COLOR, COLOUR; REALIZE, REALISE; OFFENSE, OFFENCE,., CRITICIZE, CRITICISE,...et cetera ,et cetera. :wierdo:

But who am I to criticize( criticise)... Lololol :taunt:

:blink:

:blink:

Agree with Grey Ghost's list (except for the 'Merican spellings of colour, etc) :woot.gif:

Add to that the total misunderstanding about 's... the plural of colour is not colour's! People have totally forgotten the difference between possessive and plural forms.

While I would like to lighten up, there is a reason for proper spelling and grammar. It's to ensure comprehension of the intended message in written language.

Having ranted about all that, though, I must say that ARC is WAY superior in terms of quality of written language to that seen on You Tube, or Facebook. Especially compared to the French I see written on Facebook by my kids' friends. It is completely incomprehensible, unless sounded out and compared to real words, in context. Argh. And my kids think nothing of it - in 30 years, I fearlessly predict, we as a society will have completely forgotten how to write.

ALF

Lighten up, this is a forum where the main idea is a bunch of grown men putting together plastic airplanes (aeroplanes), NOT a freak'n thesis!

I believe the OP started the thread to do just that, lighten up ...

As he ended his post with " ... rant over", I think he has lightened up ...

I think the other posts, including mine were made in jest too ...

-Gregg

I believe the OP started the thread to do just that, lighten up ...

As he ended his post with " ... rant over", I think he has lightened up ...

I think the other posts, including mine were made in jest too ...

-Gregg

Yes..MINE . WAS in jest too... :thumbsup:

OMG! Poster's after my on heart! :) If I missed it among the other explanations, I think it's some people know it sounds like 'of' because of the contraction "'ve" but they're dumb enough to not know the diff. Seems like lately I see a lot "who's" when "whose" should be used. If you let it, the ignorance will drive you nuts. I just roll my eyes and think how sorry of a state we're in. (Non-English language folks excluded, of course.) The plural vs. possesive is what gets me most. I guess another is abbreviations in all caps, like an acronym. Even three - letter words that people spell in all caps for some reason. Like a Dodge RAM truck. Oh, the confusion with Roman numerals, like a P-40 being a WW 11 fighter. Lastly, what's with randomly spelling words with the first letter upper case???? That one really baffles me. I'm only a high school grad and was average at that, but I try to use decent spelling and grammar so people won't wonder about my intellegence like I wonder about some others'.

I don't want to "lighten up". This is an international forum, and I think it behooves us to at least make an attempt to use comprehensible language. I believe the problem with would've starts with the teaching idea of spelling things as they sound, not as they should be. Hal Sr

What gets me is the near-complete misuse of the apostrophe.

Adding an apostrophe and an "s" at the end of noun does not make it plural! It's "at the car show, all of the cars were red" not "...all of the car's were red"!

Google "apostrophe misuse" and you'll see signs stating "No Dog's Allowed" or even a sign advertising "Professional Sign's and Lettering". Hmm. I would take my business elsewhere!

Also, more people seem to be confusing "it's" and "its". "It's" is a contraction for "it is". If you want the possessive, it's "its"!

:deadhorse1:

It all drives me up the wall.

I'm on forum for rocketry and there is a thread called "An Estes E12 ate my, Baby!!". In it, the original poster makes a comment about a "plague of bad motors with a 28% failure rate" and then goes on a little history lesson on the black death and how it wiped out 30% of Europe, so technically the 28% failure rate of these new motors should not really be considered a plague.

Seriously? You can tell me how many people died from black death in Europe during 1349 but you don't know how to use a gosh darn comma?

Firefox has spell checker built in, there is no excuse.

I'm on forum for rocketry and there is a thread called "An Estes E12 ate my, Baby!!". In it, the original poster makes a comment about a "plague of bad motors with a 28% failure rate" and then goes on a little history lesson on the black death and how it wiped out 30% of Europe, so technically the 28% failure rate of these new motors should not really be considered a plague.

That's funny right there!

Now I'm mad, yuze gice iz throwin a party and no one thought to invite me....and to think I coodov hadda V8, oh well my 4 banger is doing OK.

I should of went to Britmodeler......... <_< :whistle: .

Edited by #1 Greywolf

Lighten up, this is a forum where the main idea is a bunch of grown men putting together plastic airplanes (aeroplanes), NOT a freak'n thesis!

And yet many on this forum are willing to crucify a manufacturer for misplacing a rivet on a kit by a few microns. How ironic to demand perfection in models and not in language.

And yet many on this forum are willing to crucify a manufacturer for misplacing a rivet on a kit by a few microns. How ironic to demand perfection in models and not in language.

:thumbsup:

Could not have said it better myself!

Edited by PNW_Modeler

I could bore for my country over this topic ... I am, in effect, a professional writer, and every time I read a solecism like this it's like nails down a blackboard. But I'll content myself for now with one small extension of the original theme.

"I wish I would have done that" - this is grammatically meaningless. I know what people mean when they type it. The original is "I wish I'da done that", which is just a colloquial, folksy way of saying "I wish I'd done that" as in "I wish I had done that". The problem comes when people misunderstand this. They think that "I'd" means "I would" and that the -a is a contraction of "have", and on top of this they think that they have to unpack all the contractions and spell it out in full. I know this request won't work, but ... please - don't!

This thread says, in general, exactly what I think. My pet hate is the stream of lowercase letters with no punctuation, no upper case and no paragraphs that some people seem to find acceptable on the net.

I'd suggest that you just ignore it. Otherwise you'll go crazy.

to, too, two

there, they're their

your, you're

brake, break

seam, seem

sprue, spruce

breech, breach

heel, heal

course, coarse

I doubt you can find a single thread on any message board with more that five posts that doesn't use the incorrect version of a word on that list at least once.

I could add: color, colour; tire, tyre... but that would just be mean. :sarcasm_on:

You could add compliment/complement, a mistake made by many including a certain now-defunct decal manufacturer.

I have seen "Would of" and "Should of" written on many occasions lately.

What is up with this? It's everywhere? Is it just laziness?

I find it irritating myself...and English isn't even my first language...

Oh well....rant over.

Native English speakers are the *last* people you should turn to for examples of proper English usage. If I had a nickel (5c) for every "definately" or every improper use of "their, they're, or there" and "to, two, and too" I'd be filthy stinking rich. But it ain't neither here or there. I just is. :)

They think that "I'd" means "I would" and that the -a is a contraction of "have", and on top of this they think that they have to unpack all the contractions and spell it out in full. I know this request won't work, but ... please - don't!

Actually it does. "I'd" can mean either "I would" or "I had". Both are now acceptable according to my style source. English is a living organism, and it changes every hour of every day. So it's just as proper to say "I'd buy that for a nickel (I would by that for a nickel)." as it is to say "I'd had just about enough (I had had just about enough)." Everyone knows what you mean in either case, which is the point of spoken language.

Let's not forget that often made-up word, alot, or allot!

What's with writing a sentence in separate lines?

Like a poem, sort of.

Or even worse.

Skipping a line.

Or two?

Just to see how much space they can take up? Another thing that bugs me is asking a question, but not puncutuating with a question mark. Or another one that gets me is when someone writes "I don't know?" or "I don't understand?" Gee, they are asking me if they don't know or understand?? Another mistake that happens, mostly when speaking, is bouncing from first to second person when talking about themselves. My girlfriend does it all the time. "I've been on my feet all day, you know how that makes your feet hurt." Uh, no, it doesn't bother my feet at all. "I got too hot outside, that makes your head hurt." Hmm, my head feels fine. Around town I've always thought sign painters should have to pass a basic spelling and grammar course. Somebody told me that most of them know better, but they have to make what the customer writes on the order. Duh. Another issue seems to be the plural of proper names, I have seen nearly knock-down fights over that! The plural of Smiths is not Smith's, or one I remember was Ferris, I think, regarding reunion tee shirts. Some wanted The Ferris's and others wanted The Ferrises. Don't know who won that one. This is fun. And disappointing. :(

Edited by famvburg

In the original post, I didn't refer to forum posts made here at ARC or anywhere else.

A forum like this is more or less a chat room, and you write whatever you feel like and as long as your point comes across....all good.

That's my opinion at least.

What "irritates" me is when I see would of written in articles and letters etc, so a more formal setting I guess you can call it.

It won't take long until it's accepted on a broader basis, then a NY Times journalist uses it...and then it's in the dictionary before you know it.

And it just looks ridiculous, but obviously it sounds the part...right?

And I apologize for any grammatical errors in the above thesis.

Ken

In the original post, I didn't refer to forum posts made here at ARC or anywhere else.

A forum like this is more or less a chat room, and you write whatever you feel like and as long as your point comes across....all good.

That's my opinion at least.

What "irritates" me is when I see would of written in articles and letters etc, so a more formal setting I guess you can call it.

It won't take long until it's accepted on a broader basis, then a NY Times journalist uses it...and then it's in the dictionary before you know it.

And it just looks ridiculous, but obviously it sounds the part...right?

And I apologize for any grammatical errors in the above thesis.

Ken

I think that's the point. Sloppiness in an informal setting carries over to sloppiness in more formal communications. Is it really that much trouble to make the effort to communicate with the proper words, spelling and punctuation? Yes, everyone makes the occasional typo, but much of what is discussed in this tread goes WAY beyond a typo now and again.