do people just not care anymore?

I Went to Wendy's today to get something to eat on my lunch break. I pulled up to the speaker to place my order and had to repeat to the lady three times what my order was. So I get that out of the way and pull up to the window. Oh great, she's talking on her cell phone. So, I politely repeat to her that I didn't want mayo on my sandwich as they had screwed it up before. She acknowledged and kept yacking on the phone. By now, I had been at the window for five minutes with the line getting longer behind me. Finally, I got my order and hightailed it back to work to eat. What I got was just too dissapointing to eat. Mayo on my burger, fries were cold and stale, and the burger was just slapped together with half the meat hanging off. Lucky me, the store's phone number was on the receipt and I called to give the manager an ear full. So I get a free meal and an apology. Fine with me, but do people just not care anymore?

Interesting.

Back in the 80s and 90s I used to eat there all the time.

Until I started noticing exactly what you've just described; inattentive employees and poor and/or wrong food orders.

I went to three different Wendy's (Over a period of a few months) to see if it was an isolated practice. Nope. They were all the same or similar lameness.

Needless to say, I haven't been to one in over 10+ years.

Have you watched the news lately....LOL....A lot of them are closing for loss of revenue. But really? No one gives a crap about customer service....you dont eat so what, I still get a pay check...

-Jim

This is interesting because just recently, Wendy's closed its last outlet here in Singapore and pulled out of the market. I tried one of their burgers one day and was left unimpressed. The staff all had bored looks on their faces. Needless to say I didn't go back for a second try. The lack of advertising in the media meant the brand was doomed from Day 1 anyway.

Edited by White Wolf

Blame the management, or lack thereof. Supervisors need to crack down on the bad, indifferent employees and show them the door.

If they were paid the $15 an hour they want do you think it would

improve the service you get? Myself I think it it is a "generation"

thing. No more work ethics, I have been seeing this coming for years.

The reason I mention it is as of tomorrow I am officially 62, guess

what happens then? I am going to sit back and continue to watch the show

as long as I can.---John

You should file a complaint on the website. Those things need to go up. I had an experience where McDonald's told me to pull off to the side while they prepare my order. The manager came out while talking on his cell phone and brought it to me. It was wrong and I definitely contacted their regional office because of the cell phone issue.

Oh well, you get what you pay for.

If they were paid the $15 an hour they want do you think it would

improve the service you get? Myself I think it it is a "generation"

thing. No more work ethics, I have been seeing this coming for years.

The reason I mention it is as of tomorrow I am officially 62, guess

what happens then? I am going to sit back and continue to watch the show

as long as I can.---John

I really don't think it has anything to do with a generation thing at all. I'm part of the Millennial Generation had most of the people I know my age are all hard working people that have great work ethics. You will see people of all generations that have little to no work ethics. You also have to look at the kind of people that usually work in fast food. Most of them are either new to working or have no ambition or desire to do something more difficult. Now some are probably also just needing extra money for school and such.

I'm an old Phart, and generally do not take shoddy service well. Went into a convenience store back a ways. employee talking on cell phone, asks what i want, phone still to ear. I looked him straight in the eye, and told him I was a customer, and demanded his full attention, and if the phone wasn' put down immdeiately, I'd be history. Phone was immediately shelved for the rest of my visit. Lots of convenience stores around in my neck of the woods, if he didn't need me, I sure as blazes didn't need him. Same goes for fast food joints. They count on people being either too sheepish, or too polite to respond to their lack a daisical attitude. (Picture wife in background whispering "Don't make a scene!")

I really don't think it has anything to do with a generation thing at all. I'm part of the Millennial Generation had most of the people I know my age are all hard working people that have great work ethics. You will see people of all generations that have little to no work ethics. You also have to look at the kind of people that usually work in fast food. Most of them are either new to working or have no ambition or desire to do something more difficult. Now some are probably also just needing extra money for school and such.

You my friend are a refreshing "one of a kind" today. Wish there were more like you.---John

It just irks me to no end when I see people put no effort into their job. I always hear "as long as I'm getting paid, I don't care." I'm not one of those people. I wasn't raised that way. I try to do my job 100% no matter if I am a CEO at a fortune 500 company or flipping burgers at McDonalds. You get paid to do your job the best that you can. Supervisors expect you to meet a certain level of performance and if you can prove to them that you are performing beyond expectations, you get rewarded for it. I'm only 27 years old, but I know that later on down the road, I can look back and be proud of what I have accomplished. I may not have had the best jobs, but it doesn't matter. If you have the right attitude towards your job and you work hard, isn't that worth putting the extra effort into doing your job right?

Blame the management, or lack thereof. Supervisors need to crack down on the bad, indifferent employees and show them the door.

You nailed Duck that is exactly where it starts

I see this at every fast food place. You can be right in front of them giving your order, and it still gets messed up. Not only do the order takers have problems, it is in the back from food preparers to those bagging it up.

Reasons why I:

1. Prepare my own food (as well as my own labor for projects of a size and scope within my means).

2. Keep the few and far between fast food orders small and simple for the times I'm in desperate need of not blood sugar crashing.

Yes, it is a generational thing. And honestly, it's our fault because we raised them. I sat through a management class called "Generational Differences" that spelled out why things are the way they are now. How many parents have you seen use a video game system as a babysitting tool and not a reward system? I admit it, we did it with our first and he was a tough one to raise. And with the high end multi-tasking the newer generation has grown up with, talking on the phone while working is just part of their life style of getting as much done as they can at once. Has management spelled it out to the employees no phone calls while at work? After I took this class, I went back to wearing a wrist watch and not looking at my cell phone for the time. I didn't want my clock watching to be mistaken for texting or checking email during management meetings. Oh, and our Wendy's still has square burgers! And it is a great run store. Half the time I'm there, my order is ready before I even get to the pick up counter. It's the highest producing Wendy's in the state since its on a college campus. And no college students are working there. Last time I was in a McDonalds, it was a perfect example of why they are failing. Slow employees with a don't give a damn attitude, dirty, trash left on the tables and food that tasted like crap. And their newest tactic? They reintroduced the Hamburgler with some hipster guy that looks like a child molester. Yea, that was a good one.

1) hate to say it, but it's fast food workers where the basic job requirement is a pulse. But hey they all "deserve" $15/hr min wage.

2)laziness is not unique to an age group or demographic. Where I work it seems their are examples of the younger workers who are motivated and willing to go the extra mile where as some of the older workers are unwilling/unable to adapt to new problems. It is frustrating to work with people who are working only to punch the clock. I think older workers can grow complacent or be "beaten down by the system". Don't get me wrong, the vast majority of my coworkers are very competent and hard working. The ones who are not are both young and old.

Edited by graves_09

Part of this is parents not being in the house, family falling apart and interpersonal connectivity being replaced through internet connectivity.

Part of this is parents not being in the house, family falling apart and interpersonal connectivity being replaced through internet connectivity.

+1 :thumbsup:

Always get a kick out of watching "old people" complain.

But more seriously, I've noticed that my best experiences with people - be it in retail or social or random encounters - are with those in two distinct age brackets: those over 60 or so, and the 16-35 group. I'm not a sociologist so I couldn't begin to analyse why, but it would be interesting to find out why it seems so much easier to have respectful and meaningful connections of any sort with these age groups than the one in between. (For the record I am 39).

Edited by Litvyak