1/48 F-4B Phantom II

Hi,

Finished this one last week, it is Academy (very nice) kit with the full compliment of aftermarket:

Aerobonus-Mk77 Napalm Bombs, TER and MER

Aires-cockpit, wheel bays, auxiliary air intake

DMold-seamles intakes

Eduard-exhaust nozzles, F-4B wheels, AIM-9B Sidewinder, AIM-7 Sparrow, MK82 Snakeye, PE air brakes

Hypersonic-canopy frames, horizontal stabs, McDonnel 370 gal. drop tanks, A/C air intake

Master-short nose Phantom pitot tubes and AOA probe

Quickboost-MB Mk7 Ejection Seats

Twin shot Zuni rockets were ripped off from Hasegawa 1/48 F-8E Crusader kit and decals are from Furball, full set of service stencils and panel numbers come from Furball as well. I started this model roughly two years ago and it was packed away and put back on my work bench a few times as too many aftermarket items complicated the build immensely. I was especially frustrated with Aires cockpit and wheel bays, it was extremely hard to achieve a half decent fit of the cockpit set, while nose wheel bay and the cockpit floor had to be sanded wafer thin in order to close top and bottom fuselage. Main wheel bays were frustrating as well as one of them (can't remember which one now) was a drop in fit, while the other needed a surgery to fit in. The only reason I finished this model is my own stubbornness, I just wouldn't accept that ill fitting resin sets take victory.

The model was painted with decanted Tamiya AS-16 spray paint and Tamiya Acrylic Flat White XF-1.

So here it is, warts and all:

DSC_0814_zpsjsntyyfv.jpg

DSC_0819_zpsm7iwljy9.jpg

DSC_0820_zps09tmtsna.jpg

DSC_0822_zpstlwjzuxq.jpg

DSC_0825_zpsd6jvenhs.jpg

DSC_0827_zpskqd6my2h.jpg

DSC_0831_zpsoxma6u1v.jpg

DSC_0832_zpsdqgykrnm.jpg

DSC_0837_zps8peogsau.jpg

DSC_0842_zpsb3wnylau.jpg

Cheers, Miro

Edited by Bob Rock

That's a beautiful model Phantom.

Even the mass of stencils don't look obtrusive or too stark.

Great work.

If I had to offer one observation towards improving your next one (you'll need a Navy companion sometime, right?)

it would be that while the outer wing ordnance pylons do indeed angle outwards, wing tanks hang vertically.

F-4N%20153016%20NE-211%20VF-21%20CAF%20Phoenix%20-%2014_zpsjqstx6k1.jpg

Edited by chek

You're 100% correct regarding the tanks, but if I hang the fuel tanks vertically, they would've been obstructed by landing gear doors, so I took an easy way out. I think that Academy placed wing pylon attachment holes at the wrong spot, they should be moved a few mm outwards. Well, live and learn, the next one will be better.

Thanks for your comment mate. Cheers, Miro.

First off...GREAT JOB.

When you did the intakes did you vary the sequence from the instructions? If so how did you proceed?

Were you able to smooth out the intakes? I've read that this is a problem area and I'm about at that stage now.

fortunately, I'm ahead on a lot of the other steps.

Thanks,

Bob

Bob,

As far as I remember, I followed instructions installing the intakes, I remember cutting off a small tab of plastic on the lower fuselage and intakes just dropped into place.

Thanks everyone for kind comments.

Cheers,Miro.

I Remember my first 1:72 Hasegawa F-4B was in the same scheme... Very nice work, the pylon angle has already been mentioned so I'll not say any more, but the time, work and sweat you've put in to the project really shows. Like that a lot, well modelled, sir !!

Ian.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an outstanding build. Excellent paint job and perfect decaling. Would really like to see a few pictures of the cockpit and wheel wells, since you spent so much time getting those AM resin parts to fit.

Joel