Kinetic 1/72 C-17

I'm still waiting patiently, too. Last year, Kinetic posted a picture of the box-art painting, and I think they indicated that it would be out in early 2023. But nope. They've been saying it's coming for about five or six years now. I wish they would just take my money.😕

They were asking for opinions at RIAT in July - they were still keen to do it but were concerned about the price.

Last I heard was that it was pencilled in for 2024. Which of course does not mean it will actually turn up...

I think it has been pencilled in for several years. I think the wisest path is to provide a simple interior - basic cargo deck and flight deck - and get the price under $100. Leave all the super detailing and interior stuff for the aftermarket. Not everyone needs a lot of interior detail that can't be seen when the model is finished. Or provide all that extra detail in a "sold separately" kit for the folks who enjoy it.

On 10/17/2023 at 9:50 AM, Paul Boyer said:

I think it has been pencilled in for several years. I think the wisest path is to provide a simple interior - basic cargo deck and flight deck - and get the price under $100. Leave all the super detailing and interior stuff for the aftermarket. Not everyone needs a lot of interior detail that can't be seen when the model is finished. Or provide all that extra detail in a "sold separately" kit for the folks who enjoy it.

As laudable as I find this goal, when Revell's 1:72 F-15E (an all plastic, detailed but straightforward kit) has an MSRP approaching $40 US, I can't envision any level of "reduced bells & whistles" that will get a 1:72 C-17 under the $100 threshold.

That's what I thought would happen to the "new" C-130 from Zvezda before it came out. But sure enough, it came in well under $100 and had lots of interior detail. We shall see. But if they go full bore on the interior and open ramp, and other details on the C-17, that will surely push it close to $200 – or more. 

On 10/18/2023 at 12:50 AM, Paul Boyer said:

There's no way it will be under $100 USD. Just can't see it for the size and what people are expecting detail wise based on other new Kinetic kits

I expect it will be closer to, or even over $200 without an interior .  I agree having a separate interior kit is a good idea. 

If no interior is included, I imagine a kit of this size and architecture (high mounted wing) would need either a thick moulded fuselage (like 3mm thick, think Heller 1/72 707 or similar) or some sort of internal bracing to help keep the fuselage integrity and withstand the heavy wings and engines. Even in that case, I cannot see it cost less than USD 100.

With a decent interior, I guess it will flirt with USD 180 which is fine by me, quality and details have a price and they won't be selling thousands so they still need to recoup the investments, they're no Santa Claus.

And Kinetic's latest kits never disappointed me, I usually find them incredible value for what's found in the box so more power to them!!!

Wholeheartedly agree!  I cannot tell you how much interior detail I’ve either put in parts bins or the trash bin because I know it will never be seen again. 
I just finished up the 1/32 Star Trek Shuttlecraft.  Great concept. 1st release sans interior.  Second release with interior.  Also interior kit available separately for early buyers like me.  I did not want the interior. 

15 hours ago, habu2 said:

Honestly I am more concerned about the fit than I am about the price, based on my previous experience with Kinetic kits. 

They changed the mold maker starting with the M-346.

On 10/19/2023 at 3:06 AM, a4s4eva said:

There's no way it will be under $100 USD. Just can't see it for the size and what people are expecting detail wise based on other new Kinetic kits

I expect it will be closer to, or even over $200 without an interior .  I agree having a separate interior kit is a good idea. 

Err... add some more to that...

Given the size of the kit (and the comments from the Kinetic reps), I'm expecting something in the $300-$400 range...

I agree with Paul. It's kinda annoying that they can't get this thing right. Take Revell's 144 C-17 as an example. Basic everything. But it builds up to a very nice model. We're not going to be able to see the interior anyhow! But one thing's for sure....they need to quit pumpin us full of false hope. 

The C-17 is an impressive aircraft...Last month I was driving across remote farmland and one came over at about 500/AGL.  It appeared fast and maneuverable.

But given their really bland paint schemes...and when showing a bit of age/wear/dirt/exhaust soot they look even worse. 

Not much motivation for me to build one in any scale. 🙂

I'm not being nationalistic as your attempt at pegging me with an accent would imply...

Look at Canada, UK, UAE, India, Australia, NATO...as well as the U.S......they make up most of the fleet.

Kuwait and Qatar account for about 10 aircraft out of nearly 300. 

So hardly representative of the worldwide fleet.

You would think Canada could put on a red/white lightning bolt or the RAF could add a blue cheatline...like they did back in the day. They'd still be    camouflaged and I don't think a bit of colour will make something that big any more visible.

Edited by JohnEB