Italeri 1/48 F-4J Phantom II

Hi everyone!

This is my very first post on ARC - and the very first 1/48 aircraft model. Until this time I've built only 1/72 aircrafts and helicopters. I'm trying to make it nice - with some minor scratchbuilding. Do not except too much from me, I'm just a hobbist - and quite a beginner considering scratchbuilding also. This is my third project where I try to build some details myself...

So lets begin with the Phantom cockpit, especially with the seats. I didn't like the kit parts, so they received some modifications to at least "resemble" the MB H7 seats.

The kit parts:

f4j_4.JPG

Some steps of modification:

Cutting the "rails" from the seat:

f4j_5.JPG

Sanded down the headrest and the belts:

f4j_6.JPG

Heated sprue pressed into a small box created from soda can forms the basic shape of the new headrest:

f4j_7.JPG

Headrest drilled out and sanded to shape:

f4j_11.JPG

The basic parts of the seat assembled (the rails glued back onto the back also):

f4j_13.JPG

Some straps added to the top, the top of the seat's frame is also formed and the belts created:

f4j_17.JPG

Belts added:

f4j_18.JPG

Belts also added to the bottom (I've checked a lot of photos but I'm still not sure how authentic these belts are...anyway, they give that "busy" impression I wanted):

f4j_19.JPG

I hope you like this.

Zoli

Edited by ZAgocs

Seat story continued:

Small parts like buckles, handles are created:

f4j_20.JPG

Details added, and the seat next to the kit's original version:

f4j_1.JPG

f4j_3.JPG

Both seats done and inplace:

f4j_22.JPG

I hope you like the seats.

Cheers,

Zoli

Edited by ZAgocs

Hi!

Thanks for the kind words. The seats now look somehow, but there's nothing I can't ruin with paint. :wave:

I will use the inbox decals - two options, not decided yet. I want to build a US Navy/Marines jet, kit decals offer VF-213 and VMFA-451. I'll choose VF-213 probably.

Zoli

Welcome to the ARC Zoli!

Your bangseat lok very very nice! :thumbsup:

Great start and nice choice of subject.

Which squadron is meant to represent?

:cop: Gianni

After the seats were ready I dryfitted the cockpit with the fuselage and checked everything I want to fix. It looked like this:

f4j_23.JPG

and viewing from the front:

f4j_24.JPG

So, the flaws I wanted to deal with:

- rear instrument panel's lower part is nonexistent (only decals)

- all sidewalls are missing

- detail of the rear instrument panel is missing (cables, instruments)

- no wall behind the pilot's seat

- a big gap between the wall behind the back seat and the fuselage

- another gap above it

- no cables behind the back seat

As I'm currently posting the history of the last month, most of the flaws I've listed here is corrected now. I'll post the pictures of the fixed/scratchbuilt parts as fast as I can write the posts. :woot.gif:

Zoli

Edited by ZAgocs

Hi everyone,

as I wrote before, I continue posting this building history. The first things I wanted to build are the sidewalls.

Sidewalls cut from plastic sheet:

f4j_25.JPG

Basic details added to all walls:

f4j_26.JPG

And finally they are dryfitted into the cockpit - it looks much better than the original empty space...

f4j_31.JPG

f4j_32.JPG

I hope you like these...

Zoli

Edited by ZAgocs

Hi everyone!

Thanks to all of you!

The next step was the rear instrument panel. I removed the excess material from the fuselage halves and cut a new instrument panel base from plastic sheet.

f4j_33.JPG

The lower row of instruments are built on a separate piece of sheet:

f4j_34.JPG

The top row of instruments are glued onto the back of the instrument panel. There are some minor fit problems I will correct later.

f4j_36.JPG

Aft instrument panel built. The missing details will be added with painting (or at least I will try it...).

f4j_38.JPG

Next step was to add details to the cockpit tub. The original was a bit sparse:

f4j_39.JPG

The wall behind the front seat was built from scratch. I didn't find photos of this area so I used photos of an 1/32 resin cockpit. The details at the middle of the wall are invisible in the built cockpit so I didn't add them.

f4j_40.JPG

The wall behind the aft seat was sanded flat and extended at first to close the ugly gap. Then I added some wires and other things (again, the reference was a resin cockpit...). I also built the side consoles to make it more accented. I planned to add buttons to the panels but I had to understand that it is not possible with my skills. I could not place small slices of stretched sprue onto the panels... Maybe in next project. I will try to add the details with paint here also.

f4j_41.JPG

I hope you like it.

Cheers,

Zoli

Edited by ZAgocs

Hi everyone!

The next step was to finish the area behind the aft cockpit.

Wires were added to the fuselage halves:

f4j_42.JPG

The ugly gap closed here and wires also added:

f4j_43.JPG

Putting together:

f4j_44.JPG

f4j_45.JPG

Added details to the sides (I don't know what these things are, can anyone help?):

f4j_46.JPG

Hope you like it.

Cheers,

Zoli

Edited by ZAgocs

Zoli.

I think you're making a really good cockpit. :jaw-dropping:

Also I agree with you on the choice of decal, the Black Lion is one of my favorites U.S. Navy squadrons .

Look forward to seeing how your project will continue.

:jaw-dropping: Gianni

Hi everyone,

thanks to all of you! :thumbsup:

Andre, I said this because this is the truth. Comparing my models to the masterpieces I've seen on this forum I must say I have a lot to learn about the hobby...

Last pieces of the building history following...

Cutting the flaps and airbrakes from the wings:

f4j_47.JPG

f4j_48.JPG

f4j_49.JPG

To this point I was posting the last month's building history. Currently I'm doing the rivets (one-by-one, boooooring stuff, really :cheers: ):

f4j_51.JPG

Cheers,

Zoli

Edited by ZAgocs

Very Nice Zoli! :thumbsup:

I am building the same kit (an old ESCI item from 1980s - the kit has potential). Yours is ahead (I have only started on the cockpits) and definitely more adventurous!

I will certainly follow your build with great interest...

But :salute:

Currently I'm doing the rivets (one-by-one, boooooring stuff, really :whistle: ):

f4j_51.JPG

No way I am going to touch that!

Giles

No way I am going to touch that!

Giles

This is said by someone who details up the 1/144 scale F-14 nose wheel well and builds the dropped flaps on that... :thumbsup::woot.gif:

Zoli

Hi everyone,

just a quick update: still riveting the fuselage. Sides are ready, now working on the rear part. Nose and intakes then - and then I can start painting the cockpit and close the fuselage - just to add more rivets and panel lines to the top. This is how the rear section looks before and after the riveting:

f4j_52.JPG

Might be a litte exaggerated, but adds a lot to the model I think. Hope you like it.

Cheers,

Zoli