Tamiya 1/32 P-51D OLD CROW

Well people here is my first ever 1/32 model, i always model 1/48 models but if you are a P-51 freak you must own this masterpiece from Tamiya

2013_11_15_3339_zpsf6f46f16.jpg

2013_11_15_3335_zps7c5ddb6c.jpg

2013_11_15_3328_zpsa5449dfe.jpg

2013_11_15_3286_zps15a02b76.jpg

2013_11_15_3299_zps7d54e95b.jpg

2013_11_15_3312_zpsf83ad838.jpg

2013_11_15_3316_zps686741d5.jpg

2013_11_15_3336_zps46fa195e.jpg

2013_11_15_3333_zps52cfdfe0.jpg

2013_11_15_3310_zpsdd4d6165.jpg

i was surprised this morning when i received an email from Bud Anderson's son and reads as follow: Jorge, while I was in San Diego with my father, i saw your pics of OLD CROW. He was being inducted into the San Diego Air Museum Hall of Fame. When I showed him your model, he said it was one of the best Old Crow models he has ever seen, as he has seen a lot. Thanks for sharing your model and honoring my father with the pictures, we appreciate it. Jim

Edited by jorge Oppenheimer

the NMF was achieved using 4 different shades of Alclad II and using SNJ aluminum powder rubbed over the alclad, the i used Tamiya Weathering set over it and removed with a wet piece of clothe, the decals are from Eagle Edition decals, wonderful decals, they conform amazingly

the photography itself is quite simple, two incandecent light oone on each side of the table, the model sits on top of a black shiny acrylic sheet, about the camera i use a Canon EOS 7D with a 100mm macro lens, dont ever use flash on models photos.and the trick is use full lens aperture so the hole model will be in focus

Edited by jorge Oppenheimer

Jorge, another gorgeous model! I am not a prop guy but this is way too beautiful, I keep coming back to it. Your photography is also top notch. I may try this black acrylic base next time.

Could you explain more about removing Tamiya pastels with a wet cloth? Is it to fade out and blend the original application, or to create hard demarcations with the pastel? Could you point out to some examples in your images (of course, if you get a chance)? I am trying to learn from your explanations as much as I can.

Janissary, what i do is: i aplly the tamiya pastel over the rivets lines with a short hair brush, i rubber hard till a get a dark line of pastel, after i am done with all the rivets lines, i use the wet piece of cloth to remove all the pastel till nothing is left, do it gentle, what you get is a different shade of NMF over the rivets lines, and the rivet , depending on how the light hit the surface you will se them dark or metal color here is a picture of the differen shades of NMF after wipping off the pastel

2013_11_15_3299_zpsbb0176d4.jpg

And here you can se the same effect, al in all NMF airplanes, always over the rivet lines you have a different shade of NMF, in this picture you can see the rivets, some are dark the other are metal color, depending on how the light hits the surface

IMG_3834_zps578b0760.jpg