Revell's best 1/48 kits

I am trying to figure out Revell's (RoG and R/M combined) best 1/48 aircraft kits. What I am looking for is roughly the following:

(1) 1/48

(2) Recessed panel lines

(3) Interested in jet fighters, but bombers, props, recon, prototypes are ok too (but no sci-fi)

(4) Best (with respect to detail and accuracy) in its class (e.g., Tamiya Vipers are the best 1/48 16s in my book)

Revell's F-15E is the only kit I know that fits these criteria. Are there other ones? I have not ventured much into the 30's to 60's aircrafts. I guess their Super Hornets might also be considered, though I think Hasegawa is still the better choice there. I am curious to explore Revell's kits a little more.

Thanks.

Among bombers, the 1/48 He-111 is an excellent kit as its bigger brother in 1/32 scale. The same for the Dornier 217E and the brand new Tornado IDS. There are others but some are Hasegawa reboxes or have few accuracy issues despite the very good tooling.

Revell's investment has been a bit weak lately in jets

Edited by FCM

Both the Stearman and Ventura were excellent kits as well. Since the HE-111 and PBY every new tool 1/48 Revell has made has been great in my book. Although their Superhornets were not the knock outs they could've been, I still have never paid more the $20 for an F and $9 for an E.

IIRC, the Eurofighter Typhoon had some fit issues around the airbrake, and the air intake was interesting to fit. There was at least 1 resin aftermarket set for the intake.

The Revell 1/48 Mosquito released a few years ago had some issues with spinners & U/C.

Both the Stearman and Ventura were excellent kits as well. Since the HE-111 and PBY every new tool 1/48 Revell has made has been great in my book. Although their Superhornets were not the knock outs they could've been, I still have never paid more the $20 for an F and $9 for an E.

I'll disagree on the Ventura, soft details/panel lines, some accuracy issues. On the plus size it's very cheap so it gets a pass from many (myself included). The Eurofighter Typhoon is another that falls into this category.

I like the F-18E/F kits myself as well as the F-15E. Easy builds all around.

I don't disagree with you, but if you post that opinion of the Revell Super Hornets on some other sites, you'll be tarred, feathered, burned at the stake and drawn and quartered for a heretic! :unsure:

Thank you all, great info.

I don't have the new Tornado but from what I have been seeing, it's not up to all the initial hype about it. A few build threads I've seen all pointed out some issues during construction. Am I wrong? Perhaps it is the learning curve with a new kit, but I am still holding on to my HB Tornado :P Well, I am aware of the horrific shape issues with it but nonetheless...

Edited by Janissary

I don't have the new Tornado but from what I have been seeing, it's not up to all the initial hype about it. A few build threads I've seen all pointed out some issues during construction. Am I wrong?

Yes, you are wrong. I have seen several builds and the only issue is the assembly sequence in the instructions.

I was so impressed by the builds threads that I've got now three of the kits in the stash now. It also contains unused parts for a GR.1 and an ECR.

I don't disagree with you, but if you post that opinion of the Revell Super Hornets on some other sites, you'll be tarred, feathered, burned at the stake and drawn and quartered for a heretic! :unsure:/>/>

I could care less..lol However, if I was going the accuracy route, I'd go hasegawa all the way...too bad my budget can't afford them.

Edited by VFA-103guy

I could care less..lol However, if I was going the accuracy route, I'd go hasegawa all the way...too bad my budget can't afford them.

For me, the Revell is "close enough" - the difference in accuracy between it and Hasegawa isn't worth an extra $30-50 to me. That sentiment would likely get ME drawn and quartered on certain sites as well...And from what I understand, Hasegawa has it's own issues. It would have been nice if Revell put at least 2 tanks in the kit, though.

Edited by Joe Hegedus