Beriev Be-10 'Mallow'

After a long struggle with the Ukrainian Deka vacform kit of the Beriev Be-10 jet flying boat, I finally finished it.....

Be-10%20046.JPG

The interior of the cockpit and navigator's station are scratchbuilt, the rear gun position is from the Roden An-12 kit grafted on - with lots of adjustment - the beaching gear is scratch built, as are the twin front cannon, intakes, jetpipes etc .....

Be-10%20050.JPG

I used decals from the spares box - the kit ones broke up, despite giving them a coat of varnish.

I didn't have anything in my spares for the large bort numbers on the nose - my preferred kit decal option, 'Yellow 41' was unusable, so I tried to make replacements and printed them on inkjet clear decal film.

When I applied them the yellow was translucent!!! - so I reprinted on white decal film - but then I had to cut around them to eliminate the white.

After a couple of disasters and a frustrating two days, I gave up on Yellow 41, re-varnished the other kit option (Red 10) and carefully applied those - I'm still not too happy with the results :cheers:

Be-10%20052.JPG

.......on the ramp at Taganrog.......

Be-10%20053.JPG

Be-10%20055.JPG

Be-10%20058.JPG

Be-10%20054.JPG

More photos - including the build sequence - here

'In Progress' thread here....

Comments (good or bad!) welcome......

Cheers

Ken

Hm... from the side it doesn't really look like it should be able to fly, doesn't it? Sorta like a bee in that respect, I guess..... :tumble:

Very nice work, and on a vacuform, too. After watching your in-progress thread, I'm happy to see the finished result. All of your hard work on the little details (squared-off planing bottom, new rear position, etc.) really paid off.

Again, Ken, excellent bird! for me decals are great! it looks great especially in fact that you have minor amount of photos and books! ;)

Thanks for the kind words guys...... :cheers:

Actually Mario, references on the Be-10 are not too bad.......

Yefim Gordon's Red Star book 'Beriev's Jet Flying Boats' (Volume 28) has a chapter on it - with lots of B&W photos.

The same article is also in International Air Power Review Volume 8 - with the addition of a small colour side profile of the red-trimmed (Red 41) machine that took part in a couple of flypasts.

I also used the Ukrainian magazine 'Aviatsiya i Vremya' - 4/200 - which has a 'monograph' on the Be-10 (with mostly the same B&W photos).

It also has some great 1:72 scale drawings - which proved very useful for making the beaching gear......

I also found a copy of 'Kriliya Rodiny' (1-2004) with the same info - but its colour profile has different red trim.

Cheers

Ken

Edited by Flankerman