Anyone ever got dissintersted with a build or its ****** you off enought that you salvaged the bits that you could use i.e. decals and threw the rest in the bin ?

Im at a low point in the hobby. Got a pile of nice kits but feel I lack the skill to make them look nice...

any thoughts !

They're just plastic kits, nothing to be afraid of! Pick an easy peasy kit, possibly outside the normal genre you build in. Build it OOB, paint it, decal it, have fun. Admire the result and be happy.

“Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to, and above all, have fun.â€

- Al Superczynski (1947 - 2007)

:cheers:

peebeep

Anyone ever got dissintersted with a build or its ****** you off enought that you salvaged the bits that you could use i.e. decals and threw the rest in the bin ?

Im at a low point in the hobby. Got a pile of nice kits but feel I lack the skill to make them look nice...

any thoughts !

sure ... Escii 1:48 Alpha Jet ... it's just soooo wrong!

I once had the somewhat-esteemed Academy 1:32 F/A-18C about 95% complete-all but the landing gear, ordnance and canopy on. That's when I discovered that some small but important bit...I think it was the platform just aft of the cockpit...was sitting there in the box though it should have been put in before the fuselage was done. It was late at night & I was tired and aggravated. I had been building this thing off and on for over two years. The paint and weathering were looking pretty darn good, I don't mind telling you.

What I should have done was walked away and come back the next day and figured out how to get the part in.

What I did was to pick the model up, take it outside and bash it multiple times against the brick on the side of my house.

I could kick myself for that now. A lot of time and money wasted.

I did learn though...it's just a plastic model that's supposed to be fun; when I find it becoming work, I just walk off.

Yep, been there, done that!

I tossed an A-7D after working on it off/on for more than two years and not being able to get the paint scheme quite right after several attempts. Life is too short to let one silly plastic model distract you from other, more exciting projects.

Testors T-38...what a piece of junk! I had converted the Monogram A-37 into a T-37 that I had flown in pilot training...was trying to get the T-38 to complete the memory. I had to wait until I found the Sword T-38...difficult build and I almost tossed it away as well (using green putty to hold nose weight in the front end is NOT a good idea)...

that's about it...other than all the kits my folks tossed out when I went away to college...uuggghhhh!!!

Too many to count, and more than I should have. Like Sunliner, I was about 95% done with an Academy F-16CJ. Just had to put the dull coat on and add weapons, and it would have been done. I didn't let the paint dry enough (I guess) before I put the dullcoat on, and it "burned" right through the paint and into the plastic. I tried to wipe it away to start over again, and this just made it worse. I ripped the wing off thinking I could just replace it with one I had extra, but I layed the extra wing down right in a puddle of liquid cement. I got so mad I trashed the whole thing. 7 months and many hours/lots of money down the drain.

There was a fun experience I had though with this. I had an old Monogram B-52D that I had painted solid, ugly green. Like a bright leafy green. We were moving, and I did not have enough room for it, it was crap anyways, and so I took it outside, stood about 10 feet away from my truck, and launched it into the bed of my truck with the other moving garbage. Just like the real thing, that model was BUFF, because just an engine pod fell off. I picked it back up, got about 15 feet back, and let 'er fly. Took me a good 4 times before the thing was busted enough that it could not fly any more. That was fun.

Aaron

Before you decide, as some suggested, to throw them away, post them on here. People will take most anything free (I've taken a few). Better give the to other modelers than the trash man. Just have them pay for the shipping/handling. What's one man's junk may be someone else's treasure (so the saying goes).

Before you decide, as some suggested, to throw them away, post them on here. People will take most anything free (I've taken a few). Better give the to other modelers than the trash man. Just have them pay for the shipping/handling. What's one man's junk may be someone else's treasure (so the saying goes).

Yeah, what he said. I still need some Esci/Italeri 1/48 Mirage 2000 intake parts, useable ones, from a trashed kit or one you're about to trash. I bought a kit and it was missing intake parts.

BTW, nope. Have never trashed a kit. EVER. If I didn't like the kit once I've opened the box, I return it to the hobby shop or store I purchased it from. That reminds me, I still have a Testor's OV-10 Bronco with a lot of warped parts hiding in the stash. Maybe it can be my first victim. :cheers:

any thoughts !

I have left several lapse long enough that they are part of the spares box, Sir....

Chunked a scratchbuilt UAV I started on 5 years ago . . . Just bit of more than I could handle and I got tired of looking at so off to BFI it went!

Ves :cheers:

We all go through these phases--you're not unique. Best thing is to do something else for a while. The model bug will come back stronger than ever, and you'll wonder how you could have ever been discouraged.

One thng that keeps me going--and my stash growing--is contemplating the potential PITA selling off all my kits (at a substantial loss) would be! Better to simply take a break and come back to them when you feel better.

cheers

Old Blind Dog

There's been one than one kit that I haven't finished because of one reason or another. Like the KA-25 in 1/72nd scale I lost the little bits that go on top of the main rotors. But having surfed the net a lot (I'm unemployed), I've been finding a lot of photos of aircraft that have been set to one side of an airfield with the aircraft being used for spare parts or as a decoy, while others are being used a bombing targets. A friend of mine was tossing a Tamiya 88mm anti-aircraft gun kit out because he was frustrated with it. I didn't get all the parts, but most of it's there. That was back in '77-'79. I still haven't used any of the parts, but they're there is needed. Why not post an ad saying free kits which are started as the subject matter? Those looking for spare parts pays shippng costs.

Yeah I pretty much screwed myself yesterday, see I've been working on the Has 1/32 F-16A (first boxing). Done a ton of work to bring her up to Desert Storm 16A. I just finished all the body work, installed seat and figure followed by glue'n down both canopy's…then it happened. I noticed I forgot to paint the area behind the seat under the rear portion of the canopy. Well now what :bandhead2: It's glued down well, I tried picking at it but I think it'll break or something so I'm at a loss.

I'm going to finish it but it's going to look awful against the darker gray seeing that it’s raw light plastic.

What to do...what to do!

Happy Modeling,

Joe

Typically, if it's really really aggrivating, I put it down and move on to another kit till I feel like i'm ready to tackle it again - got a few unfinished kits hanging around that way.

If it's something minor - I just move on and disregard it as much as possible.

“Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to, and above all, have fun.â€

- Al Superczynski (1947 - 2007)

I like that quote peebeep used a lot; thats my sentiments exactly, and the reason why my A-6E has composite wing wing-folds (and it's pre-tram version) :worship: I don't think it matters much when it looks really cool, and most folks won't know anyway...though I have gotten aggrivated with using superglue on PE and it winds up making a mess - anyone got a better way to stick that stuff together???

my 2 cents worth :bandhead2:

I have picked up messed up kits over the years, usually for free. You know, the Airfix Series 3 kits somebody's 8 year old kid built back in the 70s, and they are throwing the box of them out, so they are free. Why would I do that? Well, when I'm REALLY frustrated by a nice kit, I take an old crappy P-47 and spin it off into a wall...KERBLEWY!!!!!! All my frustration goes away.

I do still sometimes step on a shard of shattered sytrene late at night, in my bare feet...so it's not without it's hazards.

Alvis 3.1