Their going to ruin Top Gun?

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz....... huh, wha... who the hell is Tom Choad and what does he have to do with TG2K10?

Some one in the Biz and has no clue who Tom Joad is, Never heard of "The Grapes of Wrath" :thumbsup:

Anyway, you know what MIGHT make a decent Top Gun movie? A prequel. Put it back to the early days of Top Gun. I don't know if it's accurate but throw a few F-4's in there and BAMMMM I'm sold.

Bill

I just finished reading Topgun Days, and the classes right before they filmed the movie had F-4s in them, so I think that would make an interesting time period. Too bad there aren't any F-14s they could use to film the sequel set in the 80s.

Brian

Edited by Camus272
  • 2 years later...

Could have got by without that. Now my eyes hurt!

To be fair to McGillis, the on camera flash and its hard, flat lighting makes anyone look bad even the most beautiful woman would look hard and edgy under such crappy lighting. Lets be fair too, it's like 25 year later.

Edited by Les / Creative Edge Photo

(Pulling this out from deep in the archives.)

For those as excited as I am about a possible Top Gun 2 <sarcasm=off>, don't give up hope!

Steven Brown

Scale Model Soup

Despite all misgivings, the producers were able to find a few Tomcats to reprise their star role

"It took a lot of work and research, but we were able to get the famous Tomcat to make one last appearance!" quoted one of the associate producers. "We will need to do some CGI to help them come to life, there not exactly in condition to be catapulted off the deck."

Paramount Pictures released this photo shot of the Tomcat flightline....

Wikiraz.jpg

I just hope they don't do "Pearl Harbor II." Grr... I wouldn't have a problem with Top Gun II, but think they need to update it to be centered around the F-35. Trying to do something NOW with the F-14 will seem almost like a history lesson for most movie-goers, so the new one needs to be more in line with almost science fiction (just like the original Top Gun was).

Anybody remember Nic Cage's greatest moment in "Fire Birds?" Ya, I wish I could, too. Some movies about this kind of thing are really more about the action, and whenever they put in romance, it gets sorta tricky.

• 1 year later...

Just found this thread while watching a rerun of Top Gun on tv n was thinking didn't they already remake it with Stealth?

If they did do a remake with F-14s they could always set it in Iran! Mind you, the retired U.S. Navy F-14s, wherever they are now, are probably in better airworthy condition!

Oh, about Firebirds, which was called Wings of the Apache in Britain, does anyone ever remember the early 1990s pc game called Gunship 2000? The briefing screens were an identical copy of the ones from that movie! The guy giving the briefing even had the same grey moustache!

Edited by Tsubame

To be fair to McGillis, the on camera flash and its hard, flat lighting makes anyone look bad even the most beautiful woman would look hard and edgy under such crappy lighting. Lets be fair too, it's like 25 year later.

Ok than, you can have her. :monkeydance:

Ok than, you can have her. :monkeydance:/>/>

Check out 'The Innkeepers'. Didnt realise the old woman was Kelly McGillis till the end credits! Realising that was creepier than the plot! Actually, having gone back thru this thread that pic of old McGillis looks like it was from The Innkeepers anyway.

Edited by Tsubame

Looks like Top Gun 2 is going ahead

afterall, something to do with drones

v pilots n Tom Cruise is in it! Chuck

in Lou Gosset jr, Owen Wilson, a few F-16s and F-18s and voila: Behind Top Stealth Eagle 5! Did I forget Danny Glover? Okay, make it Behind Top Stealth Eagle Intruder 5!

Edited by Tsubame

Oh, about Firebirds, which was called Wings of the Apache in Britain, does anyone ever remember the early 1990s pc game called Gunship 2000? The briefing screens were an identical copy of the ones from that movie! The guy giving the briefing even had the same grey moustache!

Yes, I remember both. I even played the first version, "Gunship" on my Commodore. If you crashed your helo, you got a screen that looked exactly like from the movie-scene where one of the Apaches crashed!

HAJO

Yes, I remember both. I even played the first version, "Gunship" on my Commodore. If you crashed your helo, you got a screen that looked exactly like from the movie-scene where one of the Apaches crashed!

HAJO

I could never get the hang of Gunship but Gunship 2000 was one of the best flight sims ever! Whatever happened to MicroProse anyway?

Edited by Tsubame

I don't think the movie was or is 'crap' ...

Sure, it's not a cinema masterpiece but it is an enjoyable movie when not taken seriously ...

Still has some of the best air to air footage too ... Worth watching just for that ... :blink:/>

Gregg

Completely agree. Stop taking life so seriously and just enjoy something for the sake of having fun.

On a side note, I'm curious to see what the Navy recruiting numbers before and after Top Gun came out. Anybody know?

Eric

Completely agree. Stop taking life so seriously and just enjoy something for the sake of having fun.

On a side note, I'm curious to see what the Navy recruiting numbers before and after Top Gun came out. Anybody know?

Eric

I know there was a noticeable bump. this movie is coming up on 30 years old, so if they joined and stayed in to retirement they started getting out of the navy in 2006. Kind of a crazy thought. Not that Top Gun has stopped encouraging people to join.

Eric

IIRC; The Naval Academy's enrollment applications went up four-fold that Summer (1986).

I remember seeing it at the Point Loma Theater in San Diego when it came out. All the local admiral big-wigs got a private screening the night before the nation-wide release.

Eric

Not sure on numbers but, I went to bootcamp in Summer of '88. They went around the room asking guys why they joined etc. (I was gonna pull the ol' Bill Murray from "Stripes" but...) about half the guys mentioned "TOPGUN" in their responses. lol. Me not being one of them, thank you, though I did get assigned a school out at Mirimar shortly there after and it was pretty kick a$$ out there.

I'd like to know if U.S.A.F. and U.S.N. recruiting went down when they grounded the Thunderbirds and Blue Angels (last year wasn't it)? How much did they save on the budget doing that, or rather, how many top brass dinners did they manage to save instead? They talked about grounding the Red Arrows here but knew there would be a national outcry if they did!

Edited by Tsubame