Lybian Pilots getting out of Dodge?

Here's some more info on the Lybian issue.

World Powers Preparing to Ramp Up

US Troops Re-Positioned

This really p*sses me off....... why are the US or Europe ramping up to do anything? it is an internal country strife which they will sort out themselves and as such the people of that country do not want us there...... did we do this for Egypt? NO.... did we do this in Tunisia? NO.... so why are we going to do it in Libya............... Oh wait a moment, Libya has oil and the price of that is rising over the doubts on Libyian supplies................. :bandhead2::bandhead2:

They will get rid of him on their own time and way and do not want and will resent our presence......... have we not learnt anything from Afghanistan or Iraq???

Bring back the cold war........ at least with the USSR on the other side of the wall, these countries involved today would do nothing for fear of awaking the Bear...... The cold war at least set checks and balances in place to the we will walk into other countries and help out scenarios..

At least one thing good has come out of it....... I have got an interesting post liberation paintscheme for my 1/32 Hind :D

Edited by TonyT
This really p*sses me off....... why are the US or Europe ramping up to do anything? it is an internal country strife which they will sort out themselves and as such the people of that country do not want us there...... did we do this for Egypt? NO.... did we do this in Tunisia? NO.... so why are we going to do it in Libya............... Oh wait a moment, Libya has oil and the price of that is rising over the doubts on Libyian supplies................. :bandhead2::bandhead2:

BINGO- it's all about the oil. Not much more to add on my end.

A Dutch Navy Lynx helicopter, that had landed near Sirte to pick up two civilians, was ambushed by pro-Gadhafi forces a few days ago. The crew of three was captured. No word on them since. The two civilians were also taken into custody, but have since been turned over to the Embassy and are safe now.

Not a good development.

Gadaffi actively supported terrorism including the downing of the Pan Am jet over Lockerbie. That makes him vastly different from Egypt.

The main priority has been to get westerners out of Libya to avoid a hostage situation. Now the goal is to get all foreign nationals out of Libya to permit the Libyans to sort this out on their own. Libya is the 18 largest oil producer in the world and they produce less than 2% of the worlds production of oil, which can be easily made up by other oil producers.

There is no need for western powers to remove Gadaffi from power.....his people will do that soon enough.

A no-fly-zone will block him from flying into exile........and there's always the hope that he might still bug out and set up a tent in a private compound in the desert in Saudi Arabia. I suspect this is why western powers are dragging their feet at setting up a no-fly-zone.

He will be overthrown....the only question is when. The rebel side seems to be steadily capturing oil facilities on their way to Tripoli. I do think food shortages could be an issue if this drags on too long.

It's good to see the western countries stepping up to fly migrant workers from Tunisia back to their own countries. That is much easier than trying to feed and care for them for a long period of time.

This really p*sses me off....... why are the US or Europe ramping up to do anything? it is an internal country strife which they will sort out themselves and as such the people of that country do not want us there...... did we do this for Egypt? NO.... did we do this in Tunisia? NO.... so why are we going to do it in Libya............... Oh wait a moment, Libya has oil and the price of that is rising over the doubts on Libyian supplies................. :) :rofl:

They will get rid of him on their own time and way and do not want and will resent our presence......... have we not learnt anything from Afghanistan or Iraq???

Bring back the cold war........ at least with the USSR on the other side of the wall, these countries involved today would do nothing for fear of awaking the Bear...... The cold war at least set checks and balances in place to the we will walk into other countries and help out scenarios..

At least one thing good has come out of it....... I have got an interesting post liberation paintscheme for my 1/32 Hind :D

Yeah, maybe it has nothing to do with the going humanitarian crisis growing on the Tunisian and Egyptian borders, or getting the rest of the Westerners out of the country. The rebels have been asking for a no-fly zone, but the White House has been resistant stating the size and the scope is just too big. The only outsider that has been more than willing to be directly involved is Chavez....his only interest is to keep a fellow loonjob in power.

In case you problaby haven't thought about, foriegn intervention will more than likely drive the price of oil up. It may be fun to see 800 Marines try to take over a country, but the economics aren't there for it.

A Dutch Navy Lynx helicopter, that had landed near Sirte to pick up two civilians, was ambushed by pro-Gadhafi forces a few days ago. The crew of three was captured. No word on them since. The two civilians were also taken into custody, but have since been turned over to the Embassy and are safe now.

Not a good development.

The pilots have, after much diplomatic action, just been released and have been flown to safety in a Greek C-130. They'll be back home tomorrow.

Libya claims the Lynx helicopter as war loot, but as long as the crew is safe, let 'em enjoy it, I say.

Cheers,

Andre

Okay I have a question here. Just because I don't know how these things work. IF you are defecting to another country how do you avoid getting your keyster shot down? Either by the nation your leaving or the ones your going over or too? When I said going over i meant traversing for a lack of a better word.

IIRC, a plane lowers it's landing gear, to signal it's intention to defect or surrender.

If it has fixed landing gear, wing waggling is an alternative, along with other internationally recognized procedures.

Nick

I agree with you, the world was a much safer place with 58,000 nuclear weapons on hair triggers. Who wouldn't want to go back to those days? For everyone who got to enjoy Gulags, or being occupied by foreign armies, or simply imprisoned in their own nations, the Cold War was just tops.

And since this is a rant about oil, Wasn't there also a massive gas shortage in the 1970's? Cars lined up for miles? and people waiting for hours during the cold war? Good times

Help out scenarios? Like how the Cold war prevented the US and USSR from intervening in Iraq, Iran, Vietnam, Korea, Afghanistan, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Mid east wars, and dozens of other cases? Intervention was more common not less. and the stakes were much higher.

Thanks for the laugh though. History books are cheap-- invest

Edited by TaiidanTomcat
I agree with you, the world was a much safer place with 58,000 nuclear weapons on hair triggers. Who wouldn't want to go back to those days? For everyone who got to enjoy Gulags, or being occupied by foreign armies, or simply imprisoned in their own nations, the Cold War was just tops.

And since this is a rant about oil, Wasn't there also a massive gas shortage in the 1970's? Cars lined up for miles? and people waiting for hours during the cold war? Good times

Help out scenarios? Like how the Cold war prevented the US and USSR from intervening in Iraq, Iran, Vietnam, Korea, Afghanistan, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Mid east wars, and dozens of other cases? Intervention was more common not less. and the stakes were much higher.

Thanks for the laugh though. History books are cheap-- invest

What!!!! You didn't know we all had a ball on SAC bases and sitting on bases like in Germany back then :)

-----------------

Cold War concept Tony,, You keep a loaded and cocked gun stuck at my temple, I keep a loaded and cocked gun stuck to your temple, then hope neither one of us flinch, mean while we walk around attached like Siamese twins, "act" like we have lives, no thanks! been there! done that! hated every minute of it.

Edited by Wayne S
  • 9 months later...

I especially like this quote from the article:

The Mirages were disarmed by British RAF technicians soon after they landed in Malta and they were then disabled by technicians from French plane-maker Mirage as Malta resisted pressure by the former Libyan government for the planes to be returned.
Silly me thought Dassault made the Mirage F.1 when all along it was the famous French plane maker Mirage that made the Mirage F.1

:D

The jets have been on the tarmac since February 21, when they arrived unexpectedly when their pilots refused to bomb fellow Libyans in Benghazi.
Wow, I didn't realize that they have been there that long. It seems like that they landed not that long ago.