Was out helping the wife water some plants tonight and some motion caught my eye close to a nearby tree. I went to take a closer look and discovered this....>

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

Me being very brave....

DSC_0039.jpg

Google search shows this to be an Orb Weaver. According to Wikipedia, there are thousands of variants and represent 25% of all spiders.

I was reading up on orb weavers recently, and never knew that they re-spin those webs every night (after eating the original.) That's why you see so many pristine webs covered in morning dew. We've got a security camera at work that looks over the gate to the parking lot..during the summer months it seems like there's always an orb weaver parked right in the middle of the lens. Gives me something to watch on those long weekend overnight shifts.

SN

As long as they are outside the house, in the trees and bushes leave them be. They capture and dine on unwanted bugs. If they take up residence on your house (siding) wash them away as spiders are the cause of unsightly staining. Use some insecticide (HomeDefense which won't stain you siding yet offers protection) to keep them from building webs and taking up residence on or in your house.

If you find you have an abundance of bugs, spiders and other insects, this is a clue that you have given them a reason to be there...plentiful food and habitat.

I HATE spiders but I am fascinated by them when you find them outside like that. I never bother them outside but if they're in the house they're free game. We were redoing our dining room a few years back and there was a gap at the ceiling between the drywall and the ceiling. One day this wood spider came out and was on the wall and I crap you not it was as big as a coffee cup plate you'll see at restaurants and places. Biggest spider I've ever seen in a house that wasn't a pet. We didn't know what to do because we didn't want to smack it and leave that big mess of a stain on the wall so we tried to suck it up with the vacuum. It partially got away though and tried to get back in the wall. Think we killed it but either way it was creepy. Used to have a picture where I held my shoe up next to it and it was as wide as my size 11 sneaker.

I'm shuddering now thinking of it.

We used to have one like that that lived under the settee. I was happy to let it be, but Mrs PB used to go crackers at the thought of it being in the house. 'Bob' would only come out during the evening if he thought nobody else was around and you'd be lucky to see him when the lights were on, although he would occasionally make a sudden dash across the floor to other hiding places. Sadly one of our cats got him in the end.

The thing with spiders, if you have a phobia then confront it. Handle spiders and you come to realise it isn't a big deal. Naturally if you live in a part of the world where they might be venomous and deadly, be careful!

peebeep

Like most homes in the midwest, our basement is full of spiders. I occasionally see one on the wall or ceiling in the main parts of the house, but Mandie and I tend to ignore them. The things the creep me the crap out are those earwigs..it's about the time of year that they start showing up all over the place. I understand they're harmless..but they're just nasty looking things. Darned near indestructible, too!

SN

I generally leave spiders be, whether it be in the basement or the house proper, definitely out in the yard. That being said however, one particular species that I will kill immediately and without a second thought is the yellow sac spider. We get a good many of them during the spring and fall. They make a cocoon of silk in which they hang out during the day emerging at night to hunt bugs. They can and do bite and the bite can be pretty nasty as they have a necrotic venom that can cause a lesion wound which can then get infected. It's pretty unpleasant from what I understand.

I simply do not run the risk, they get stomped or squashed any time I see them.

I grew up in the CA desert, on a ranch, and we had plenty-o-black widows always. I also flew RC (gliders) and used #64 rubber bands to hold the wings on. Well, a #64, a black widow, and a kid who doesn't like spiders makes for a dead black widow! I got pretty good at gettin' them with one shot. One summer day I decided to go for a ride on my bike, and just before getting on, I noticed movement under my seat. Well, turns out there was a MONSTER of a BW living under there, and everytime she saw me coming, she'd disappear down the tube that held the seat up. Needless to say, it was quite a while before I was able to ride my bike, but one day, she was slackin', snackin', or sleepin, and I finally got my mark. :gun:

Nowadays, I used to kill em' if they are in the house, but now have a different method. I use a clear container with a lid (the kind you get from the deli section at the supermarket) and just capture and release them outside. Every once in a while, while all the lights are off and I'm layin' on the floor playing Playstation, I'll catch movement outta the corner of my eye and sometimes it's bigin' running across the floor. They don't usually get the complimentary relocation plan.:485c3a61::hangingsmiley:

Besides the danger of letting the spider count your teeth, or even worse learn your name to write it in her web, is walking into the unseen web at night, feeling the sticky web on your face and wondering... where the heck is that 3" long spider?

Besides the danger of letting the spider count your teeth, or even worse learn your name to write it in her web, is walking into the unseen web at night, feeling the sticky web on your face and wondering... where the heck is that 3" long spider?

or a 5" spider like in Florida!! When i was stationed at Hurlburt Field and living on Egland AFB we used to get HUGE mean looking spiders that liked to make webs across your front entrance way. What a shock at night! I was told that they are harmless, but they looked like they could eat a C-130, so they usually got a smack with a stick...

In my shop here in California, I have tons of Black Windows. I just leave them alone. I had one next to my desk for about 2 months that I fed. One day she went on her merry way. The ones that freak me out are the ones that settle down in the tire treads when we have an aircraft tire on the rack for a while! That was a huge surprise the first time I saw that after rolling the tire off the rack!!! I wear gloves now!

I almost never kill any spider. If i let them be, they let me be!

Curt

The 5" spiders here in Florida are commonly called banana spiders. They are big and nasty looking. They look like prehistoric monsters hanging out in trees.

I let the orb spider alone after I took the photos. I am just glad we don't see many spiders in the house.

Nice looking spider.

I'm the designated spider (stink bug, scorpion, large ant etc) relocator of the house. The only spiders not on the plan are black widows (outside they are ok, but in the house they have to deal with my wife). :touche:

Nice looking spider.

I'm the designated spider (stink bug, scorpion, large ant etc) relocator of the house. The only spiders not on the plan are black widows (outside they are ok, but in the house they have to deal with my wife). :touche:

So now you are hereby renamed SPIDERMAN and the SCORPION KING.. :whistle::thumbsup:

Duty Cat ...Thise are quite noce photos of the fuzzy spider..I am glas you did not kill it.....unless it was one of those that LIKES TO KILL Humans !