I looked away for a minute and the cat crawled into my display case. The J-20 was ok but the Sotka's undercarriage was completely destroyed when I tried to drag the cat out of it. :(

sotkadestroyed.jpg

*sigh* maybe it's time to finally retire this thing.

Terry

Dude, just glue it back together. Even your fix of a damaged kit is going to be 10 times as good as my fresh of the factory floor!!!

I'm good, YOU are a perfectionist, and a damn great one at that. Perhaps the cat just wanted a better view. Carl wrecked 20 of my planes in one go a couple years back. All but a couple got glued back together and put back on the shelf. Crap it gave me a reason to dust off a couple of them during the repairs.

I hate when cats take on the anti-aircraft role. I have had a few aircraft get turned into spare parts by cats over the years, also had a couple of ships and tanks wiped out. General purpose cats, anti-ship, anti-armor and anti-aircraft. :) Now, I keep my models in a display case in the basement and on some shelves in my home office. The cats are expressly forbidden from both areas. They have the rest of the house to run around in so I don't feel too bad restricting them from where I keep my builds.

About 20 years ago I had fifteen models assembled, painted, and decaled, put them on a coffee table to clean the case they were in, went to the bedroom, got sidetracked doing something else for 30 minutes, went back into living room to finish cleaning the case my models were in and found my German Shepard had used them all as chew toys in 30 minutes. LOL I was finding sidewinders and wheels, bombs in dog crap for 2 days after.

About 20 years ago I had fifteen models assembled, painted, and decaled, put them on a coffee table to clean the case they were in, went to the bedroom, got sidetracked doing something else for 30 minutes, went back into living room to finish cleaning the case my models were in and found my German Shepard had used them all as chew toys in 30 minutes. LOL I was finding sidewinders and wheels, bombs in dog crap for 2 days after.

LOL

Now plastic is a great food additive for critters..almost a food group in itself :P

I hate when cats take on the anti-aircraft role. I have had a few aircraft get turned into spare parts by cats over the years, also had a couple of ships and tanks wiped out. General purpose cats, anti-ship, anti-armor and anti-aircraft. :) Now, I keep my models in a display case in the basement and on some shelves in my home office. The cats are expressly forbidden from both areas. They have the rest of the house to run around in so I don't feel too bad restricting them from where I keep my builds.

Maybe this is why Grumman named their fighters after cats?

I learned to NEVER try to pull, lift, or scold a cat away from my models. If they are calmly looking and "walking" through the airpark.... give them a stern look, and they will pick there way out with little or no damage. The cat knew it was doing something wrong, and like a kid; it will want to get out of it with as little punishment as it can! :)

Please glue that beautiful model back together.

Curt

I hear that. I keep the bottom shelf of my veritcal display cabinet (nice mahogany one) clear as my cat loves to crawl into it when the door is open. He loves to stare into it but I believe this is indicative of the fact that so do I. I often start into it and gaze into the oblivion of plastic and paint. Mesmorizing as it can be I think my cat gets more fun out of it, unless I shut the door with him still in it. :wub: He's so cute when he's stuck inside though.

Dude, just glue it back together. Even your fix of a damaged kit is going to be 10 times as good as my fresh of the factory floor!!!

I'm good, YOU are a perfectionist, and a damn great one at that. Perhaps the cat just wanted a better view. Carl wrecked 20 of my planes in one go a couple years back. All but a couple got glued back together and put back on the shelf. Crap it gave me a reason to dust off a couple of them during the repairs.

Does that make my mom a feline because she did that to a cabinet full of models when I was 15. Okay my grades were slipping...and I spent more time on models. We had an argument and she snapped them all up and binned them. Had a bloody good laugh afterwards though, ableit my grades still improve that much. I was bullied @ school so you can understand it's hard to concentrate. :bandhead2: <-- That's what it felt like at school.

Hi Terry,

Well... you can take comfort in the fact that the Sotka did not destroy the cat.

Joke apart, is that the T-4 i was making years ago in vacform or is it anothe kit ? And where did you find the J-20, i had never seen that one before !

My own cat's idea of getting friendly was to sit directly on top of anything i might be working on at the workbench and just stay there and purr. He'd get all confused and slightly offended when i had to move him after such a display of affection. He used to nest in a really comfy and tight spot in my model boxes shelf too where I would only discover him much later.

Stephane

Edited by Stratospheremodels

Hi Terry,

Well... you can take comfort in the fact that the Sotka did not destroy the cat.

Joke apart, is that the T-4 i was making years ago in vacform or is it anothe kit ? And where did you find the J-20, i had never seen that one before !

My own cat's idea of getting friendly was to sit directly on top of anything i might be working on at the workbench and just stay there and purr. He'd get all confused and slightly offended when i had to move him after such a display of affection. He used to nest in a really comfy and tight spot in my model boxes shelf too where I would only discover him much later.

Stephane

Stephane,

The Sotka is from Amodel. The J-20 from Anigrand.

Thanks,

Terry

Cats are manageable, ex-wives less so. Ages ago, I built the Revell Cutty Sark clipper ship. You know, the big one with all the rigging, etc. Took me a few hundred hours of time. The thing came out great, so much so that I placed it over our fireplace in the living room.

One day the ex decides to do some dusting. I had told her in the past that if the model ever needed to be moved, I'd take care of it because it was super fragile. On this day, she decided she could move it and sure enough - Cutty Sark took the long fall. It was a complete loss.

One of these days, I'm going to start another one.

Cats are manageable, ex-wives less so. Ages ago, I built the Revell Cutty Sark clipper ship. You know, the big one with all the rigging, etc. Took me a few hundred hours of time. The thing came out great, so much so that I placed it over our fireplace in the living room.

One day the ex decides to do some dusting. I had told her in the past that if the model ever needed to be moved, I'd take care of it because it was super fragile. On this day, she decided she could move it and sure enough - Cutty Sark took the long fall. It was a complete loss.

One of these days, I'm going to start another one.

Ouch !!! :crying2:

Was that before or after she became your 'ex' ??

Ken

... chuckles... i did the sister shipKIT... USS Constitution, so i know your pain... i had spent a year rigging, tying block and tackles, walkways cannons and spars, footropes, stirrups, forestays backstays mainstays... did EVERYTHING but hang the folboats... had the davits in place... was moving... gingerly took it down three flights of stairs and placed it with all my stuff in the garage to be moved... went back upstairs ... wasnt gone 3 mins!!! SOME BASTARD STOLE IT!!!! DIDNT TAKE MY TOOLS, MY SPEARGUNS, BIKE BITS OR ANYTHING... JUST A YEARS WORTH OF SHEER TORMENT AND SUCCESS..... I HOPE HE GETS PILES AND HEMMAROIDS LOOKING AT IT...... ID SAY MORE BUT THERE COULD BE LADIES AND CHILDREN PRESENT.:(... TRIED TO BUILD ANOTHER ONE A FEW YEARS LATER... NUP... JUST COULDNT... SIGH....