What book featuring aircraft would you love to see made into a movie?

The Hunters... as was written in the book. The tone is much darker, and much more interesting.

Only slightly related, John Lukacs' Five Days in May, which describes the political machinations that led to Winston Churchill becoming Prime Minister right before the Battle of Britain.

"Bury us Upside Down The Misty Pilots and the Secret Battle for the Ho Chi Minh Trail" this book if about F-100F fast FAC in Vietnam. I don't think the whole book should be made into a movie but there is one particular story in the book about and F-4 that was shot down and the incredible effort to rescue the RIO afterwards. It is amazing and very riveting. The story is about Lance Sijan. He was shot down and one of the most intense rescue attempts followed. Fantastic story.

There's a book about an A-10 squadron that I read as a teenager. Can't remember the name of it but it was totally fictional. Would be a cool movie since they've never been featured in a movie. I'll try to look for it in my attic/library tomorrow. Kids are sleeping now n it would make too much noise.

"Bury us Upside Down The Misty Pilots and the Secret Battle for the Ho Chi Minh Trail" this book if about F-100F fast FAC in Vietnam. I don't think the whole book should be made into a movie but there is one particular story in the book about and F-4 that was shot down and the incredible effort to rescue the RIO afterwards. It is amazing and very riveting. The story is about Lance Sijan. He was shot down and one of the most intense rescue attempts followed. Fantastic story.

Would be too close to BAT21.

For me, hands down, I would LOVE to see Dale Brown's "Flight of the Old Dog." I think that would make a fantastic movie and the chance for sequels is enormous. In fact, I can't believe it hasn't already been made into a movie!

THIS. At least in part because I want to see some merch like a commercial Old Dog kit without having to do a lot of surgery... I'll have to buy two, one to build stock and one to convert into the "Super Stratofortress" concept I pitched to a contact and Boeing Wichita. (Old Dog = Improved BUFF, Super Strat = Ultimate BUFF.)

I was unaware but there was a book written about Lance Sijan, Into the Mouth of the Cat: The Story of Lance Sijan, Hero of Vietnam. I haven't read it but I plan too.

IIRC he was one of my profs's Academy roomie... he passed me an issue of the USAF official mag that had an article on him, and Sijan deserves more recognition.

There's a book about an A-10 squadron that I read as a teenager. Can't remember the name of it but it was totally fictional. Would be a cool movie since they've never been featured in a movie. I'll try to look for it in my attic/library tomorrow. Kids are sleeping now n it would make too much noise.

James Ferro's HOGS series--four volumes, think I had 'em all. I too read them as a teenager... :D

Frankly, with the way Hollywood works these days, I don't know if I want ANY book about aircraft being turned into a movie. HBO miniseries maybe, but not a 2 hour movie.

But, for a story that might be cool to see as a movie IF it could be done right, how about the WW2 exploits of Greek born (but living in the USA since very young) RAF Eagle squadron pilot and later USAAF 4th FG ace Steve Pisanos as told about in his book "The Flying Greek". His prime exploit was trying to bail out of a P-51B that suffered engine failure, but he got stuck on the wing. Finally ending up too low to bail out, he practically belly landed the plane while standing on the wing and evaded capture in German occupied France before finally being rescued by the French Resistance and staying with them until Paris was liberated. Come to think of it, the exploits of the 4th FG from when they formed as an Eagles Squadron to the end of the war when they got the highest kill score of all the Eighth Air Force fighter groups in Europe would make for a pretty cool mini-series.

There was also a book I read about two brothers in WWII who were pilots. One American one German. Their parents split up or something and they ended up meeting in aerial combat. Both aces and stud pilots. Think it was by a noteworthy author as well. I'm terrible with book names I've read so many.

I'd also like to see either of WEB Griffins series turned into HBO series or something. There's too much there to just be a single movie.

Edited by Bigasshammm

Some of Richard Herman Jr's stuff is almost tailor-made for a Mini-series or 2hour movie.

But Ditto on R.S.R - lots of cutscene or plot to follow. 5 different paths? Land, Air, Sea surface, E&E, Sea Sub... woooo.

I would love to see books turend into movies...The first is "UNBROKEN" by LAURA HILLENBRAND..

But I really would love to see this one .... "FINISH FORTY AND HOME,THE UNTOLD WWII STORY OF THE B-24'S IN THE PACIFIC"

Author PHIL SCEARCE{ Phil is a ARCer here under the name of Finish Forty and Home}..

HOLMES :salute:

"The Long Way Home" by Ed Dover.

-This is the story of Pan Am's Pacific Clipper and its escape and journey from the Japanese and Germans at the start of World War Two.

Also "Operation Puma" by Edward Ferrer.

-The personal account of an ex-Cubana captain who hijacks his own flight to the US to defect from Castro and later flies for the rebels during the Bay of Pigs.

Edited by skidbuggy

Broughton's Thud Ridge, Wolf's Lucky's Bridge, Termite Hill and Tango Uniform. But these would probably crank off a few people who are still alive who were involved on the Gubment side.

:cheers:

Itch

Edited by Cajun21

Red Storm Rising.

It would have to be a miniseries or a set of movies to be good, which it would be if done right.

Yes! I second Red Storm Rising. It would be amazing as a miniseries, although sadly Cold War gone hot is probably no longer the draw it use to be.

Yes! I second Red Storm Rising. It would be amazing as a miniseries, although sadly Cold War gone hot is probably no longer the draw it use to be.

No! Please! No more lame movies from Tom Clancy's books. Hunt For Red October was fine but the others were horrid!! :bandhead2:

Apache by Ed Macey