some pix of Kitty Hawk F-35B molds

I was in the mold making business for about 8 years and those are short run aluminum molds. The reason I say short run is because they are good for about 30K +- shots and they deteriorate in the process. If you plan on buying a kit, by one from the first run. Steel tools look completely different and they would cost about 4-6X as much to make. These are not to be mistaken with the old eastern European short run molds which were made out of Chrome Plated Epoxy and were good for about 5-7K shots and deteriorated quickly after the first 750-1000 kits. Today, in this industry aluminum is adequate. Mild steel molds would be good for about 250K shots and regular hard steel tools like we used to make were (are) good for about 1+M shots. Aluminum molds are easy to make and quite inexpensive. The first few thousand of the kits should be as good as the master. I would definitely buy a couple/few. If the price is right?

Edited by Otto

I was in the mold making business for about 8 years and those are short run aluminum molds. The reason I say short run is because they are good for about 30K +- shots and they deteriorate in the process. If you plan on buying a kit, by one from the first run. Steel tools look completely different and they would cost about 4-6X as much to make. These are not to be mistaken with the old eastern European short run molds which were made out of Chrome Plated Epoxy and were good for about 5-7K shots and deteriorated quickly after the first 750-1000 kits. Today, in this industry aluminum is adequate. Mild steel molds would be good for about 250K shots and regular hard steel tools like we used to make were (are) good for about 1+M shots. Aluminum molds are easy to make and quite inexpensive. The first few thousand of the kits should be as good as the master. I would definitely buy a couple/few. If the price is right?

Once again I learn something new from ARC forums. Thanks for the detailed explanation, Otto! :thumbsup:

Hi Otto,

I have to say that in today's model kit industry, i wouldn't call a mold that can make 30,000 plus parts a 'short run' mold.. This mold would be considered more a mainstream subject, high quantity run (and you still have to sell all 30,000 parts, though with the subject at hand here, it should probably not be too difficult). My background is industrial design, there are aluminum molds that can go as high as a million parts, if they are well made. Steel molds are also known to be at risk for deterioration, such as chrome plated steel molds, a lot of steel molds can also rust, i even saw molds that had rusted before they had even started their production run.

By the way, nice inserts Glen.

Stephane

Stratosphere Models

Email: stratospheremodels@yahoo.fr

Edited by Stratospheremodels
  • 4 weeks later...

look very interesting but those Italian roudels are no longer in use by sevral years, current ones are 14 cm in diametre and have a reduced white section. Feel free to contact me if you need more details.

Dear Paolo,

I think they don't care. The decal sheet also provide Belgian roundels or supposed to be belgians - without the blue external ring. But Belgium has years ago (and rather wisely in my opinion) decided not to join the F-35/JSF programme.

KittyHawk F-35B kit target is obviously mass market (here I don't speak about Belgium :P) and not accuracy.

V.P.

HomeBe,

you're right about that. I'm from Belgium and I'm glad they didn't attend the billion Euro program due to budget costs.

Certainly these days to the fact that we're very limited in making our own opinion.

It's no democracy but merely listening what Europe has to say!

B_Realistic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...