I am sure some of their kits are original molds; but many of their kits are copies (or perhaps reboxes, authorized or otherwise) of other manufacturer's kits. Their 1/32 F-5E could be found dirt cheap, and is essentially an exact copy of the Hasegawa 1/32 F-5E kit. My "Kangnam Style" F-5E matches the Hasegawa kit completely, , part by part.

I built this kit a few years back. In fact I have an article in the Jet aircraft Gallery on using this kit for my CF-18A article. IMO not a very good kit but will still make a serviceable F-18. Would I buy and build another? Nope. The Revell kit is a best value kit. Of course Hasegawa kits are the best.

KANGNAM F-18A

So, is it possible this is a copy of the Hasegawa 1/48 Hornet? If so, that's one incredibly good price for such a kit. I echo the OP question - anyone know about this particular kit?

ALF

:D, I have a cadet in my Australian Air League squadron who does that dance really well. Oh, oops, sorry, that's Gangnam Style isn't it. He does it so well we've started to call him Gangnam Style or Psy. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I have one or two Kangnam kits that are exact copies of other brands' kits.

:cheers:,

Ross.

I believe Kangnam did a 1/48 Hornet, but given the time period (late 1980s) and I don't think it is based on a Hasegawa mold as I don't beleive Hasegawa had even issued their Hornet kit yet. I hear Sprue Brothers may still have a few hundred of them for possible sale if you wish to really find out how craptacular it is. ;)

The late 1980s had the Korean firms of Ace, Academy/Minicraft (before the split), Idea Corp (which tooled stuff for Hobbycraft Canada) and a couple others on the rise and they got their start by copying kits from other stuff already out there. But some were making copies of the copies as I can remember that was the era where Revell (with molds cut in Korea), Ace and I believe one other firm ALL issued kits of F-8E Crusaders in 1/72 that I believe were recessed panel line copies of the Hasegawa kit from the late 1970s and they all seemed like copies of one another yet all with slight differences in the parts layout.

The molds issued under the Kangnam name I believe were originally tooled up by Ace. If I recall the story correctly, Ace itself folded after they got sued for copyright infringement due to such kits as the F-5E and the F-16XL (which was just a cranked arrow wing on a short body F-16A that otherwise matched Hasegawa's F-16A part for part).

Thanks for posting these links! Somehow the Great Google failed me when I looked for reviews yesterday.

ALF

I have this kit in my stash and it does not look bad... in the box anyways. But I have not built it yet so I can not comment at to ease of assembly and fit. It does look like a decent F/A-18A and one advantage that it does have over the Revell kit is recessed panel lines if you prefer that sort of detail. <_<