testors the death of floquil and polly scale

Makes me wonder if they will just relabel them as Testors brand paint. I've only used Floquil once and personally I didn't like it. But I am used to acrylics so that is probably why.

But I just discovered how well their silver paints work!!!!! :russian-roulette-smiley:/> :soapbox:/> :bandhead2:/> :bandhead2:/>

Com'on off the ledge and put the gun down. Give Citadel silvers a try. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. If that doesn't work....well... :salute:

Bill

The PollyScale "Military Colors" were discontinued about two years back.

AFAIK, PS Clears (Gloss, Satin, Flat) have remained available along with the "Railroad Colors" line.

So, are they giving up altother on the RR Colors (which includes many of their metallics)? That would be a shame.

I stocked up big time several years back, so will have a good supply for the forseeable future.

cheers

Old Blind Dog

someone should add that even though the lines will be discontinued, it takes a good long while for a model paint supply to dry up

I purchased every one of my little PolyScale Acrylic paints after the announcement of their discontinuation,,,,I can still get more than 90% of those today, years after the panic that they had "disappeared"

the RR paints, both Floquil and Floquil/PolyScale can be purchased at your LHS for a good while yet, they will restock after any "runs" on the colors,,,,,,,,and then sit there for years after "everyone knows" that they are gone

I am just going to drive slowly over to our brand new Hobbytown (less than 3 months old) and buy RR Acrylic paints off the brand new full rack,,,,,,some paints on it have a 2012 date on the printed label, so the fact that they were recently introduced, plus their shelf life,,,,,,,,,,I will be okay for years to come

anyone else could do the same,,,,,,,,if you are an Old Silver fan,,,,just go get 3 bottles,,,,,same for Reefer White, just go get some, and watch the slots fill back up for about the next 6 months to a year (Stevens still has some Military PolyScale available to hobby shops, the RR stuff will be in the pipeline for a while, too)

Testors discontinued the PollyScale (acrylic)line years ago. Do you have evidence that they are also discontinuing the Floquil (enamel) line?

What 'wolfgun33' linked to; it's basically a copy of the 'industry email' (public information) sent out on Monday (before official announcement on Tue.):

"

They are dropping these brands entirely:

Pactra: all items under this brand, including R/C paints, trim tapes, etc

Floquil: all items under this brand

Pollyscale: All items under this brand

"

Edited by jaydeesan

Com'on off the ledge and put the gun down. Give Citadel silvers a try. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. If that doesn't work....well... :salute:/>

Bill

BOOOO! Thick as molasses. Citadel is the worst paint out there

It thins with distilled water. I've never had a problem with it, either airbrushing or hand-brushing.

cheers

Old Blind Dog

Same here. Chainmail (or the new name equivalent) provides a fantastic and durable natural metal finish.

Our local distributor has a huge stock of Pollyscale and Floquil paints. I know this because I helped pack them up when the company moved addresses last week.

Went to my local hobby shop yesterday after work to pick up a few more bottles of Floquil Platinum Mist and Old Silver. The guy behind the counter told me that the owner of the business placed a big order of the Floquil and Polyscale paints not too long ago. He said they should have a pretty good supply of the stuff for a while. I'll probably go back in and pick up some Polyscale colors later on especially since I love their various shades of blacks and greys. They're perfect for cockpits, tires and props!

Personally, my shelves at home are filled with Model Master enamels. I've never had any problems whatsoever with any of the Testors line of enamels. I think I have a single bottle of their Olive Drab acrylic that I use from time to time. It works fine for me. I find it interesting that while some people swear at the brand, I swear by it. On the opposite side of that coin, I've seen where others proclaim how "such-and-such" brand of paint is the greatest thing on earth as if sent from Heaven above. When I've tried that same brand, I was less than impressed with it. To each their own I suppose.

As for Citadel paints, I've used half a dozen or so of their colors on some figures. All I can say is "WOW!" I was impressed with how well they covered. Granted, I was brushing it on. I've never run that brand of paint through my air brush but I was very happy with how nicely they went on when I hand brushed my figures.

Eric

I'll stick with Alclad for airbrushed metallics and Tamiya for hand brushed metallics.

I've used Tamiya acrylics metallics in the past. I mostly use Tamiya acrylics for all my painting. You really should consider giving the games workshop metallics a try. I did and haven't gone back.

Citadel silvers thin wonderfully using Tamiya thinner. They shoot perfectly. They are also the best drybrush acrylics I've ever used. They ARE expensive for what you get but then again all hobby paint is expensive.

Spectre, I swear I made a post yesterday about where to get the RR PolyScale paints

just go to MegaHobby and you will find them,,,,,,,,and they are cheaper than HobbyTown,,,,and can be mailed in the US

I emailed the Testors customer support. This was one persons reply;

I am being let go in July along with most of the rest of

the workforce in Rockford. We can only give you the information we have

to pass on. I'm sorry this has ruined your hobby.

Testor's CreateFX line that is available now. Please check your local

hobby shop or http://www.testors.com/category/667494/CreateFX for

information regarding this product line. It is possible that more

colors will be added to this line. We are not sure of that at this time

but will let the modeling community know as we get more information.

We appreciate your passion for our business. We look forward to

introducing you to this exciting new product line that is great for

today's modeler as well as future generations.

You can still purchase Floquil, PollyScale and Pactra at your local

hobby store and on our website at www.testors.com. We will be filling

these until we run out of raw materials.

Best Regards,

The Testor Corporation

Consumer Affairs Department

1-800-837-8677 (1-800-testors)

M-F 8:00 A.M - 4:00 PM CST

Place your online order at:

www.testors.com

Keep up with all of the Testor's activities by liking us on Facebook

and following us on Pinterest?

http://pinterest.com/testorcorp/

Have you fanned us on facebook yet?

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Testors/186766180261