New Gillette Fusion with Dyson ball thingie

Ok, so I know EVERYBODY here is going to look at this thread, except maybe our few ladies or dudes with full beards who aren't into shaving.

If you are like me, you have felt the pinch of Gillette's increasingly hi-tech approach to shaving and the expense of the continuing arms race between beard and blade.

So a couple of months ago, I am at the local Wal-Mart with the missus and come across the new Fusion ProGlide with "FlexBall" technology. After careful consideration of finish (color of metal and grip), I throw one into the shopping basket. Wifey looks at me like, "Really?" I kind of shrug, but don't say anything. We have been down this road many times before as each successive generation of razor has been introduced.

So, the next morning I break it out for the first time for an honest evaluation. I start to shave and, somewhat to my surprise, it DOES actually shave closer and more consistently than the regular Fusion ProGlide. If you think about it, the dual axis makes sense, for the same reasons the previous single axis pivot makes sense. It keeps the blade flush against your face regardless of what angle you are holding the handle.

I said to my wife, "You know, I really thought that this was a vanity purchase, just to have the latest and greatest, but it IS actually noticeable better." She says, "Good. At least it wasn't a complete waste of money."

Is it enough of an improvement for you to chuck you old single axis Fusion for a Flexball version? Well, if you like me, and willing to pay for that extra tiny bit of closeness, then yes. If you are just completely disgusted with Gillette's apparent greed and willingness to exploit a man's vanity, and you think your current set-up is plenty close enough, and after a couple of hours it doesn't matter anyway, then no.

The major complaint about Gillette is the cost of the replacement blade cartridges, not the initial cost of the razor itself. Replacing a blade once a week for about $3 adds up, but it is all a matter of perspective. Many of us will drop $3 a day at the office for a bag of chips and a soda, etc, and not think twice about it. That is about $15 a week, or $60 per month (for those who do not have math degrees).

So here is the promised tip:

The main enemy of that high priced blade is not your beard, but corrosion. Once you are done shaving, dry off your blade with that towel you are using, then spritz some alcohol on it (get a little spray bottle from Hobby Lobby) to displace most of the remaining water. You will find that your blade will last a lot longer. Some folks even go so far as hitting their blade with a blow dryer, but that is too much effort for me, at least.

Tip credited to Clark Howard, although I have also heard it from other sources.

Edited by DutyCat

I feel your pain regarding the blade prices. I recently bought a leather strop at a local street fair sized to sharpen these buggers and trust me, it really works! I've even used it for touching up and ancient Xacto blade i use as my secondary hobby knife. I haven't gotten the rack ball handle yet- I'll let my old Fusion die a natural death first. Razor Renew

Razor-Renew_BOTH-SIZES.jpg

Edited by chukw

It's funny: More and more, I keep hearing about people reverting back to a straight-razor to shave. Sometimes, the old ways are best.

None the less, thank you for the review, Dutycat! It is appreciated.

(And I'm amused at the face razor advert already at the top and bottom of the screen for "Harry's", whichever brand that is I haven't heard of.)

Standard old school double blade, single axis articulating razor for me. I just don't see the need for anything else.

Can't believe you go through a blade / week. I typically get well over a month out of each one of mine. I just make sure it's thoroughly dry before I put it away and that's it. That extra money spent on blades would cut into my Starbucks coffee fund.

I hate shaving but my company has a zero facial hair policy. If it wasn't for that, I'd look like a card carrying member of the Taliban.

I too ditched all these costly artsy fartsy razors and blades for a traditional (Merkur) double edged safety razor (the same type your dad and grand dad probably used). Blades for these cost between oh $0.15 -$0.50 each depending on brand and amount you buy in advance.

Once you get use to using one properly you get a proper shave an save many $$$

Ok, so I know EVERYBODY here is going to look at this thread, except maybe our few ladies or dudes with full beards who aren't into shaving.

If you are like me, you have felt the pinch of Gillette's increasingly hi-tech approach to shaving and the expense of the continuing arms race between beard and blade.

So a couple of months ago, I am at the local Wal-Mart with the missus and come across the new Fusion ProGlide with "FlexBall" technology. After careful consideration of finish (color of metal and grip), I throw one into the shopping basket. Wifey looks at me like, "Really?" I kind of shrug, but don't say anything. We have been down this road many times before as each successive generation of razor has been introduced.

So, the next morning I break it out for the first time for an honest evaluation. I start to shave and, somewhat to my surprise, it DOES actually shave closer and more consistently than the regular Fusion ProGlide. If you think about it, the dual axis makes sense, for the same reasons the previous single axis pivot makes sense. It keeps the blade flush against your face regardless of what angle you are holding the handle.

I said to my wife, "You know, I really thought that this was a vanity purchase, just to have the latest and greatest, but it IS actually noticeable better." She says, "Good. At least it wasn't a complete waste of money."

Is it enough of an improvement for you to chuck you old single axis Fusion for a Flexball version? Well, if you like me, and willing to pay for that extra tiny bit of closeness, then yes. If you are just completely disgusted with Gillette's apparent greed and willingness to exploit a man's vanity, and you think your current set-up is plenty close enough, and after a couple of hours it doesn't matter anyway, then no.

The major complaint about Gillette is the cost of the replacement blade cartridges, not the initial cost of the razor itself. Replacing a blade once a week for about $3 adds up, but it is all a matter of perspective. Many of us will drop $3 a day at the office for a bag of chips and a soda, etc, and not think twice about it. That is about $15 a week, or $60 per month (for those who do not have math degrees).

So here is the promised tip:

The main enemy of that high priced blade is not your beard, but corrosion. Once you are done shaving, dry off your blade with that towel you are using, then spritz some alcohol on it (get a little spray bottle from Hobby Lobby) to displace most of the remaining water. You will find that your blade will last a lot longer. Some folks even go so far as hitting their blade with a blow dryer, but that is too much effort for me, at least.

Tip credited to Clark Howard, although I have also heard it from other sources.

Methinks they're taking lessons from the printer/ ink cartridge folk.... :bandhead2:

Beard 7 months and counting... Gillet are too greedy in my opinion. In all honesty, if I weren't trying to cultivate this one, I'd rather pay a guy to shave me once a week that give that money to Gillete... Although, when I do shave all the way, I use only their products, but that's usually once a year, so... :D

I also have an Edwin Jagger DE89 Barley razor. It is beautiful...a work of art. I have tried it a few times and although it might shave as close as the Gillette, it takes a bit more time, attention, and technique. I am still experimenting with it when I have time. The jury is out still.

CRW_0009.jpg

I also have an Edwin Jagger DE89 Barley razor. It is beautiful...a work of art. I have tried it a few times and although it might shave as close as the Gillette, it takes a bit more time, attention, and technique. I am still experimenting with it when I have time. The jury is out still.

CRW_0009.jpg

Though it may take a few minutes more with a classic double edge safety razor (it takes me about 10 minutes) I find the time more therapeutic and the feeling of using a quality manufactured handle with a good simple blade plus I use a brush and shave soap in a cup well makes what is totally mundane and tiresome, more of an art. The overpriced commercial handles (I've bought many from Gillette and Schick) and cartridge type blades just doesn't feel the same and I just wanted to GET IT DONE when using them. BTW using a good shave soap or some like tube of cream to lather up in a cup with a good brush is not only better quality but works better has less chemicals than canned shave cream and these also save $$$ over time too.

I guess I'm a luddite wheb it comes to shaving. I still use the old twin-blade Trac II I've been using since I started shaving in 1982 (OK, I've been through several handles since then, but the same type.) I tried one of those newfangled five-blade jobs a few years ago..it did give a closer shave, but I was plagued by ingrown whiskers so I switched back.

I remembet back in the 70s when the twin blade was first introduced, Saturday Night Live did a parody commercial for a razor with FIVE blades..because the very idea of such a thing was just silly.

SN

I'm seriously considering finding an old school safety razor for myself.

I only grudgingly bought a basic Mach 3 razor several years back after I could no longer find blade cartridges for the twin I was using. I offset the blade price somewhat by using shaving soap and a brush, but I really am fed up with the blade ejector mechanism getting gummed up to the point of uselessness in spite of doing all I can to keep it clean.

Razors are like toothbrushes; the fancier they get, the more attractive the basics become.

If you want to get one of these double edged safety razors I highly suggest getting a sample packs on the blades and sourcing it through Amazon. I bought a hundred pack of Persona made in the US blades for $12. Although its not my favorite blade, its a new blade every day. I also bought a quality badger brush and Proraso shaving soap that is pretty good for my sensitive skin.

I appreciated your review DutyCat, and might consider seriously that razor, cos i'll have to replace mine rather soon...

my old Gillette Mach III is very old, have have gave me more than a decade of good service! ...so i think i'll stick to Gillette's, as price is not a major concern... and i like to shave nicely, without any risk, without caring...

and since i'm not in the army anymore, i don't care for the "closest ever" shave (i use a less used(or new) blade when it really counts) ...so my 12 blades pack last me a year... so about 3$ a month...

Edited by mingwin

I buy a bag of those 12 for 5 dollar single edge disposables about once a year. I work in manufacturing and wear facial covering all day and am too old to care what the ladies think. Besides, after a couple of hours, no-one can tell whether I shaved with a 50 cent cheapie or a billet cro-manga-moly handled, hand engraved by monks, unobtainium edged, house mortgage costing, stropped on leather from a virgin guanaco wonder-razor.

This is why I have a beard....

Same here...I've had a beard for 25 years, since getting out of the Air Force, and I've used an electric razor even longer than that. Takes about 30 seconds to shave.

Edited by Moose135

I belong to the Dollar Shave Club. After shaving, the razor goes into an air-tight case with dessicants. Also, I inherited a nice Beaver hair brush (never found out who's beaver though) and use various lubricants on my face. With a young kid around, the straight razor isn't something I'll consider yet.

Regards,