Tamiya 1/32 early F4-E/ Israeli Air Force 1973

Hi Guys,

I finished this model over the weekend and of course wanted to show it off. I started it about 4 months ago. It is the early version (without wing slats) F4-E from Tamiya in 1/32nd scale.

In addition, I used the "Avionix" F4-E resin cockpit, "Eduard" photo-etch detail sets and some other after-market items to make this bird as authentic as possible. It represents an Israeli F4-E Phantom II from 119sq. "The Bats". The odd weapons load-out is configured asymmetrically for an ABA (Air Base Attack)mission and armed with (3) X M117 bombs, (6) X Mk82 bombs, and (2) X AIM-9D Sidewinder missiles. This is how the plane would have appeared in the 1973 Yom Kippur War. The single kill marking on the nose was earned by IAF Capt. Moshe Melnik who downed a Syrian MiG-21 with this plane. I photographed the same plane in 1975. The photo below shows the aircraft.

scan001.jpg

The paints used were Testors "Modelmaster" enamels in typical Israeli 4 color scheme for that time frame. The many stencils are from Isradecal. I like the way it turned out and was very glad to finally finish this extensive build.

DSCN3340_zps6d8d0985.jpg

DSCN3334_zpsed2dd48f.jpg

DSCN3308_zps864c8db6.jpg

DSCN3335_zpse29bfab1.jpg

DSCN3323_zps3b782540.jpg

DSCN3322_zps5af57ea1.jpg

Ed Okun

Edited by frogman13

Wow Ed,

that's a spectacular Kurnass! :jaw-dropping:

You will be more than proud of the gorgeous job you made!

The F-4 was one of my two preferred planes of all time and in Israeli color is simply orgasmic!

Some time ago I build one of the various IDF Israeli I planned to do,here my lottle brother...

Cheers,

Gianni

I think this was brought up on another forum but I'm curious about the mixed load of Mk 82's and Mk 117's. Was this an operational loadout? I figured that it wouldn't be possible to drop all of them in the same pass since the ballistics would be different and for a mission like an airfield strike, you wouldn't come back a second time to drop the other type of bombs. I also thought they only loaded Mk 117's in a "slant-2" configuration, not with three on the MER.

Regardless, that is one great looking F-4!

I think this was brought up on another forum but I'm curious about the mixed load of Mk 82's and Mk 117's. Was this an operational loadout? I figured that it wouldn't be possible to drop all of them in the same pass since the ballistics would be different and for a mission like an airfield strike, you wouldn't come back a second time to drop the other type of bombs. I also thought they only loaded Mk 117's in a "slant-2" configuration, not with three on the MER.Regardless, that is one great looking F-4!

Hi 11bee,

Regarding the mixed load of armament. I attached an asymmetric load of 3 X M117s on the right inboard pylon and 2 X AIM-9D on the left inboard as seen in multiple photos from the IAF in the Yom Kippur war. See this photo from IAF #107sq.

37379289_zps212b7e79.jpg

I had seen at least one photo of the combined load of M117 & mk82s which verified the authenticity of the mix. Honestly, I would have used all M117s but I didn't have enough of the resin M117 bombs to complete the bombload.

Edited by frogman13

This pic shows anything is possible when it comes to bomb loads:

http://ussfranklindroosevelt.com/wp-content/gallery/1966-67-nam-terry-johnson/f4_swordsmen.jpg

Gettiing back to the subject at hand, Ed how long did it take to put all the decals on?

Jari

Wow, now that is a cool weapons load! Nice to learn something new. Sorry to take this OT, congrats again on a great model.

Wow Ed,

that's a spectacular Kurnass! :jaw-dropping:/>

You will be more than proud of the gorgeous job you made!

The F-4 was one of my two preferred planes of all time and in Israeli color is simply orgasmic!

Some time ago I build one of the various IDF Israeli I planned to do,here my lottle brother...

Cheers,

Gianni

Gianni,

You have done a beautiful job on your 107 squadron Kurnass !! Simply beautiful. I love the Orange tail scheme as well.

Thanks for linking me to your build.

Best Regards,

ED

This pic shows anything is possible when it comes to bomb loads:

http://ussfranklindroosevelt.com/wp-content/gallery/1966-67-nam-terry-johnson/f4_swordsmen.jpg

Gettiing back to the subject at hand, Ed how long did it take to put all the decals on?

Jari

Hi Jari,

I used the Israedecal F4-E stencil sheet which come in areas connected with clear decal sheet. So basically lining up on some panel lines and you can place multiple decals together. Sometimes this technique is not fitting 100% so I cut some and placed individually. Also all that clear decal can lead to silivering problems. No matter how glossy my under surface was I still had to go over many areas again with softener. It did save a lot of time though in the end. Total time for complete decal placement was about 6 hours maybe, spaced out over 4-5 days.

ED

I also thought they only loaded Mk 117's in a "slant-2" configuration, not with three on the MER.

Regardless, that is one great looking F-4!

The "Slant" configurations were to clear a Sidewinder if one was hung, or just for weight limitations of the overall bomb load.

Curt