Sea Harrier flies into history

From what I've heard, it's the last RN carrier launch. March's AFM reported that India was looking at buying second hand Sea Harriers, so they may yet fly from a carrier again.

Ironic and fitting that Brian Hanrahan was the one reporting the story.

I remember so well listening to him as he reported from the task force during those tense times in 1982

- J

From what I've heard, it's the last RN carrier launch. March's AFM reported that India was looking at buying second hand Sea Harriers, so they may yet fly from a carrier again.

Janes said the same thing... keeping that fantastic radar... but AMRAAM will not go with them if they go to India.

Cheers

mikeiw, if your asking what is replacing Sea Harrier then, shorterm it is Harrier GR 9 with a mix of Navy/Airforce fliers, then JSF X-35 V/STOL sometime next decade although a post on another thread has suggested that the deployment of the V/STOL version is in no way certain. This has led to talk/speculation that the Navy may get a navalised version of the Typhoon or the Rafale for its` new carriers.

Cheers, Ian

Edit-The thread `F-22 numbers`was posted by Murph quoting Gen. Ronald Keys in Real Aviation (last post-25th Feb) during which he mentions that the F-35 V/STOL is not yet a done deal for the US. One wonders if development would continue if the main intended customer was to pull out, or if the British have the will or finances to go it alone on F-35 V/STOL?).

Edited by Ian Buick

Another masterpiece of the (once?) great British aviation industry retires. Remember building two Matcbox Harriers (another one Sea H) as a kid and wondering the ugly looks of them. Only later to I found that they could take off and land vertically, which explained the strange form.

A sad day for the navy as is being replaced by a platform without the BVR capability.

Worrying that the argentians have started sabre ratling in the Falklands again.

Even more worrying that the future for the JSF look increasingly uncertain.

Looking good for the french that they might be able to sell us Rafale and maybee a couple

of carries to fly it off, ans the new carriers are reported to be being partly built in

france anyway.

Julien

Wish I could save that vid clip. Pretty well done, plus the early stuff from the Falklands.

This is as far as I could get (then the #%&@*!! company Websense blocked me. :wub: )

mms://wm.bbc.net.uk/news/media/avdb/news_web/video/9012da68003a670/bb/09012da68003a981_16x9_bb.wmv

HTH someone

Edited by scalemdlr_svaz
What on earth are our carriers being partialy built in France for? Oh, that'll be because all the British shipyards are closed...

I despair... I really do... :rolleyes:

Yes I am afraid so, they was talk last I heard that the hulls were to be built in France and then fitted out in the UK. We could have built them where I used too work, Cammel Lairds responsible for such ships as HMS Ark Royal, ( not the current one but the previous), HMS Conqeror, 2 Polaris Subs etc etc...

But no they closed it as not enough govt work and the EU would not give us any help to convert to merchant work, another nail in the UK manufactuing base.

I think your right it does not matter what govt etc none of them seem fit to govern.

Julien

If what mikeiw has said and the question he has asked is even anywhere near true then it should be a situation of great concern to any country thinking about buying such technology. My intention is not political here or to start something and I will also understand if this post is edited or pulled. I am just curious to know if anyone knows anymore about this.

If the technology exists even in Australia to switch off a stolen car when it is safe to do so then it is not that great a jump to be able to remotely switch off an aircraft in flight or disable it if it is still on the ground. Higher model luxury spec cars have such features as a standard part of thir core technology these days. Surely, any nation's air force must be able to retain total control over it's air and ground assets so that its air space is protected at all times. After all that is what the nation as a whole has paid a great deal more than the cost of a luxury car per aircraft for.

Cheers,

Ross.

I've just finished Commander 'Sharkey' Wards fantastic book Sea Harrier in the Falklands about his time developing the Sea Harrier and then commanding 801 squadron in the Falklands.

According to what Sharkey wrote, the SHAR was more than able to take on the USAF's elite aggressor squadron in F-5s, even maintaining a 3 to 1 kill ratio against F-15 squadrons in pre war exercises. Despite this the fleet thought little of the Sea Harrier's effectiveness in the air defence role. Some genius decided to tell his wife that 'according to their research' it was likely that less than 25% of the pilots would come back alive. Just so she'd be prepared, you see.....

From what he says, it seems the fleet never valued the SHAR enough then, and that still seems to be the case. Maybe some of the APG-65 radars fitted to US AV-8B+ fitted to some of the GR.9s will go some way towards maintaining BVR capability to the fleet?

My 2c anyway...

Trent

Edit....Just after having a quick re-read of few sections, Sharkey also claims a 25:1 kill ratio against RAF Phantoms.... and F-14 Tomcats! Including use of simulated BVR missiles! He lists one incident where he flew a Single Shar against 2 F-15s and 2 F-5Es and scored 7 kills and no losses!

Edited by BadCop

Absolutely no doubt that the FAA is losing a wonderful and effective aircraft. We can only hope that the skill and elite qualities of the equally effective FAA personel are not being downgraded during this long `capability holiday`.

There comes a point that you run out of superlatives with which to describe the SHAR and their minders.

I don`t think there`s been a sadder day for UK aviation since the scrapping of the TSR.2 than the loss of the SHAR, a quite superb servant to the UK.

Cheers, Ian

Hello to you all - if you can give me a few hours I will post some pictures of the last launch (ever, apparently.... :unsure: ) as I have just returned from that very trip.

Hang tight, and don't get so emotional, it's only a lump of metal after all!!!

Hello to you all - if you can give me a few hours I will post some pictures of the last launch (ever, apparently.... :) ) as I have just returned from that very trip.

Hang tight, and don't get so emotional, it's only a lump of metal after all!!!

Oh yes please!

Maybe so but it was quite a lump.

Trent, I read Sharkey's book a few year's back and while it's good I think it's worth remembering he was a good fighter pilot due to the self-belief required to throw yourself into combat against such daunting opponents. One of the priniple advantages of the SHAR in combat was it's small size, making it not only very maneuverable but also hard to aquire by either radar or Mk-1 eyeball. I've heard stories of them involved in exercises against a US battle group and the first our 'foe' knew about it was when SHAR's flew over the carrier's deck!

Ok, here are some pictures. These were taken on what was claimed to be the last ever SHar launch from a carrier (British that is, just in case the Indian Navy does acquire some) - haven't I said that before some time...... :cheers: .

When I flew on, to my delight a couple of jets were on the deck but shortly departed so I only managed to get a couple from the air.

Several days later, Brian Hanrahan (he of "I counted them all out, etc,etc..." Falklands war fame) came onboard to report on the retirement of the SHar fron the FAA.

This event took place on the 28 of February and was shown on the BBC news.

I remember hearing that many countries bury code in their hardware that can be used to render them useless in the event that they're used against them... is that a myth

It would seem silly not too don't you think, I would. :cheers:

Doc

What makes the loss of the SHAR's even greater is that 2006 will also see the retirement of the last Canberra's and one more Jaguar squadron, along with the closure of RAF Coltishall. Add to that the start of the F3 run down programme and we in the UK have a real Aviation Annus horiblous!

Ok, here are some pictures. These were taken on what was claimed to be the last ever SHar launch from a carrier (British that is, just in case the Indian Navy does acquire some) - haven't I said that before some time...... :explode: .

When I flew on, to my delight a couple of jets were on the deck but shortly departed so I only managed to get a couple from the air.

Several days later, Brian Hanrahan (he of "I counted them all out, etc,etc..." Falklands war fame) came onboard to report on the retirement of the SHar fron the FAA.

This event took place on the 28 of February and was shown on the BBC news.

Errrr the pics are missing?! :rolleyes: