F/A-18C VFA-192 1/32

The latest fun project is off the bench.

I tried to replicate the last in flight moment of a Golden Dragon landing on the deck of USS Kitty Hawk

GD_F18C_100_final.jpg

The kit is Academy 1/32 Hornet with Cutting Edge Cockpit, Aires exhausts, Rhino models seamless intakes and a bit of Eduard PE.

GD_F18C_98_final.jpg

the model was painted with Gunze acrylics, weathering was done with salt and a lot of touchups all over.

Decals are from the box.

First time I tried the salt technique which I learned from a some talented modeller on this very forum:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=189474&hl=academy&st=0

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=196766&hl=academy&st=0

GD_F18C_99_final.jpg

The model stands on it's single hook which has been replaced by a 2mm steel rod. Although it's bending it can support the model alone.

There is a backup transparent support on the belly just in case and since it was a bit windy when I took the pictures outside, I had to install it unless I wanted to let my heart rate accelerate too much :)/>/>/>/>

GD_F18C_102_final.jpg

The training load is asymetric. Most stores are from the box except for the superb AIM-9 from Zactomodels and the LGTR and MER (converted to IMER) from the F-18E trumpeter box.

The kit's main landing gear have been converted for an inflight pose and painted yellow, which is a tradition in VFA-192. Actually those yellow gear legs were the starting point of the diorama.

I wanted to paint them yellow and I wanted them to be seen.

GD_F18C_103_final.jpg

The walkways and Carrier deck were painted with Rust oleum texture paint (another trick I learn form the guys above ;)/>/>/>

Some more pictures:

GD_F18C_105_final.jpg

GD_F18C_104_final.jpg

GD_F18C_106_final.jpg

The WIP is here or on my blog

Edited by Red Dog

Wow, this is amazing. The displayed moment is very dramatic and creatively executed. I enjoyed your WIP also. The sidewinder pic is particularly beautiful. It seems you used a steel rod for the hook, would it be possible to bend it in the opposite direction so that with the weight of the aircraft it becomes straighter? This is really a small thing I noticed and does not take away from the overall fantastic build.

Thank you again gents

It seems you used a steel rod for the hook, would it be possible to bend it in the opposite direction so that with the weight of the aircraft it becomes straighter?

Well the model actually stand on the hook rod alone. the central transparent rod is part of a backup plan i created just in case. it's on the picture because when i took them outside it was a bit windy and the model was oscillating preventing me to take sharp pictures.

When i calculated the angle i took the weight of the finished model into consideration and i expected the hook rod to bend quite a bit. i decided to live with it and if i bend it in the other direction, the AOA will be wrong. so i better not to touch it.

here's the model shot inside standing on the hook alone:

GD_F18C_86_final.jpg

GD_F18C_83_final.jpg

and the two different ventral bags to accomodate the backup support ... or not:

GD_F18C_108_Brod.jpg

When not used, the modern centerline pylon is placed with it's tank.

GD_F18C_109_Brod.jpg

I can easily change the configuration by removing the tank and pylon and removing the ventral plate, getting access to the two screw holes on the belly of the aircraft.

GD_F18C_110_Brod.jpg

I then install another tank mounted on the spare older centerline pylon. That tank has a large hole in it to let the support pass through

GD_F18C_111_Brod.jpg

I then slide the support into the tank and then into rearmost screw hole.