Some times I see questions asked and picture requests in the forum for common subjects. I wonder how much research people realy do. I'm curious.... How much research do you do when building a model? I tend to spend days and days searching for every picture I can of my subject. I enjoy it and reading about my subjects seems to give them life. I haven't bought any of the reference books you can get from various outlets but, the internet is amazing with what you can find with a little effort. Just searching the ARC forums is an awsome source of information and reference pictures you can't get any where else. Am I a weirdo or does everyone do the "search"? :D

Curt

Good old research is always important. Some things just can't be found in an book, and simply one has to learn from others who worked with the subject. With very minor research the forums get crowded with crab of one and the same question what colours are used on an subject.

The answer is given many times as well, and people just turn internet on, post the question and hope to get the answer straight away. Good research also like many do on internet gives millions of views on the subject and an good question is hard to find.

Post only an question if you are not able to find the information you realy need. Take time to do your research, and before you start building and write down notes as well.

Hubby of Librarian :thumbsup:

Edited by Eric2020

My interest is Hueys. I wanted to make a model of my father's bird from Vietnam. I spent 2 years, bought about 6 books, took over 3,000 photos, looked at about 10,000 photos and talked to every Huey crew member I could, including my dad. My model STILL isn't perfect, but you can't say I didn't try!

Ray

I model strictly for fun, so research isn't a big part of the process. But when I do any it's usually a lot different from what others do, because when you're building a 'what if' there's the matter of constructing some sort of story to justify the model. Sometimes it's as simple as saying that it was procured by a nation that never actually owned it, but it can go further. For instance, right now I'm on the web trying to find out the dimensions of the troublesome Allison T40 installed in the Convair Tradewind to see if its replacement with the reliable Armstrong Siddeley Double Mamba would be a half-way believable option. Notice that I said 'half-way believable', I'm not going to obsess over it!

Quite a lot these days. I have a bought a reference book of somekind for most of my recent builds (and future as well) and in addition I try to dig as many photos and information as possible of the type I'm building. If I happen to find photos of the exact machine, it's even better.

It depends. On something that is of minor interest (gee, that's neat) usually very little-what comes in the box is what the kit gets other than maybe a markings change. If it is something that is of a favorite, more. If it is something that I've been involved with, generally a good deal more at least for external configurations, markings and weapons loads. I don't really care if the third dial from the right on the second row down in the rear panel should be white on black vs. black on white; through a closed canopy it doesn't much matter.

Depends on the subject with me. I've done so much research in the past on Strike Eagles, that when it comes time for me to build one, I barely even look at a picture or a book anymore. If it's something like an F-16, where I don't know didly about the subject, but have several I plan to build, I spend a lot more time on it. I'm building an Academy F-16CJ Block 50 right now, and I would guess that hour for hour, I've spent just as much time researching it as I have building it. I've also go the Modern Viper Guide now, and it's kinda been my one-stop-shop research source for this build.

I've also got a few Hornets planned, both Legacy and Supers, and am kinda in middle-ground with them. I know a little more about the F-18's than I do about F-16's, but less than I know about Strikes. So when it comes time for those builds, I'll still have to put in some research time, but not a whole lot.

I've found that ARC is actually one of the best research tools for me there is. It's great to have a question about something, and be able to get the answer from someone who has actually worked/flown on the plane I'm asking about. There are also the resident experts on here that are very helpful on the particular subject I need help with. For example, for Viper questions, I go to either Pig, Jake, or AB Scott. For general F-14 stuff, Fightertown Brian. If I have a question about Jolly Rogers F-14's or F/A-18's, Brian Marbrey. A question about weapons, Dave Roof, Joe Hegedus, and Red Dog will always have the answer.

Aaron

Edited by strikeeagle801

As others have said, "it depends." I try to alternate between super-detailed projects and mostly out-of-the-box projects, so you can imagine where I spend the most time in researching. That said, I spend at least some time researching relatively simple builds. I really enjoy the research. Without it, my experience in the hobby wouldn't be as fulfilling.

I am always pleasantly suprised at the depth of information that exists within the ARC forums. No matter what I'm looking for, a search almost always finds something helpful. I don't understand why more folks don't take advantage of "mining" the information that is literally at our fingertips. (I suspect it's because most folks don't know how to use search engines. It's not their fault, because it's not really taught in any formal way, just through trial and error and experience.)

I've also go the Modern Viper Guide now, and it's kinda been my one-stop-shop research source for this build.

:worship: I knew I liked you!!

Everyone listen to this man!! Books, I tell ya'. Not internet, but books are what you need to finish your model just right.

:D

Jake

:worship: I knew I liked you!!

Everyone listen to this man!! Books, I tell ya'. Not internet, but books are what you need to finish your model just right.

:D

Jake

You keep putting out such kick-arse books, and I'll keep buying them and using them. I do have to admit I've had my nose in the Modern Eagle Guide a lot as well for my current Strike Eagle build. I'm trying to update it some (like the JFS exhaust and the shimmy dampener in particular) and have found great shots of everything that I've needed in that book. Thank you Jake for the time and effort you've put into these books. They are all truely works of art and are invaluable to a modeller.

Aaron

It's an excuse to buy books.

I research as much as practical but don't stress if I can't find definitive information. I figure if I can't find it on the web, chances are no one will know I faked it.

The trouble with research is you always do find that definitive picture....after you've faked that detal on your model!

I love to do research.

One of the best parts of modelling I suppose, next to applying the decals. :thumbsup:

I've been very fortunate to have been able to document the one plane I love the most.....F-14B's from the Jolly Rogers.

Of course, now I'm working on a VFA-103 F-18F reference library. :rolleyes:

Edited by VFA-103guy

Unless I'm looking for a stress-free-just-for-the-heck-of-it build, I tend to gather as much info as possible on a build. I don't stress if I miss something (that's not why we're in the hobby, after all), but if I have the means and the knowhow I will try to utilize as much info as possible. "Accuracy where I can, as close to where I can't"

I do research, but alot of mine comes from photo's on the internet ( big plug for Airliners/ ADF serials ), but like Aussie F/A-18's, 707,737, 747,767 ,777 come from work as that is what i mainly work on.

And some of it comes back from when i was in the military as well.

Brendon

I do a decent amount of research, but unfortunately there isn't much out there for my chosen subjects, slick nose AH-1T anyone?

The only problem is when you come to the realization that you are dealing with a model, not a shrunken down version of the real thing. I had to be talked off the ledge when I realized my Academy 53E didn't have spotlights or accurate hoist innards. :lol:

For me, the important thing to remember is that this is supposed to be an enjoyable hobby.

Getting ready for my MH-53M build, anyone got pics? :rolleyes:

mason

When I was building my uncle's Sabre, I did more research into that aircraft than I'd done for any other model I've built. I even came incredibly close to getting the crash photos from Library and Archives Canada but I wasn't modeling the crashed aircraft, rather the aircraft before it crashed. Fortunately, I was able to speak to (personally and by e-mail) and meet gentlemen who flew and serviced Sabres with the Red Indians and my Uncle Guy. Along with Milberry's Canadair Sabre, these gentlemen, (pilots, ground crew, and Air Force police) were a plethora of information in helping me capture the accurate markings of Canadair Sabre CL-13 #19365, coded AX 365, assigned to 421 Sqn, RCAF, 1 Air Division, 2 Wing, Grostenquin, France on 09 June 1953.

The research I did into that build prompted me to extensively photograph a number of RCAF and CAF jets (CL-13 Mk 6, CF-101 Voodoo, CF-5A, CF-100, CF-104 and CF-188B) at the Canada Aviation Museum for reference purposes for future builds. I've got only a couple of WWII aircraft left in the stash and there's plenty of info on the web for those.

Depends on the subject with me. I've done so much research in the past on Strike Eagles, that when it comes time for me to build one, I barely even look at a picture or a book anymore.

You know, I used to subscribe to this policy... for a while I was dead set that I knew every possible configuration the Tomcat could be seen in... then I built a jet that I THOUGHT FOR SURE should have certain items (Tomcat fans can probably figure this out) and turns out that it didn't. At first I figured "ok, it's gotta be a one-off... somewhere down the line this jet didn't go through NADEP or whatever..." but then I started looking at my picture database and flipping through books, looking for more aircraft of that time frame. That's when I learned the most important lesson I think I have so far (and I'm sure Marbrey or Plescia would back me up on this one):

Absolutes like "all", "none" "always" and "never" often do not apply :thumbsup: (especially where Tomcats are concerned, lol)

As has been said before by some, my research depends on the subject/flavor of the build... for an A-4C i did a while back, the only real research was to make sure I had the right variant for the markings, but I didn't really do anything else. No books, no nothing other than maybe 20 minutes online. Shift to the Foxbat... I have collected numerous books and untold numbers of pictures and drawings and articles...foreign sites...everything...and the research restarts with each step in the build, but I am also trying to do massive corrections and make it "right". Take the Corsair WiP...I really have only done research about the flaps and the wingfold...I'm just taking the rest of the kit as is and only researching the stuff I am scratching.

Research can be the most fun and educational part of the entire thing. I will read and study and draw things out and read more and whatnot to learn everything I can depending on the subject...

Then, there is always research for the skills to do the build....

So, short answer...it depends

Cheers,

Dave

...The model is part of the journey; not the end. I know I know, color me Geek.

I'm good with it. :worship:

~I'm with you, RJ! I probably spend just as much time or even more researching - online, in books, photos, talking to others, visiting museum birds, etc - than I do with the building part, and I'm not a fast builder! But conversely, I'm not in any way a rivet counter, nor am I dogmatic about accuracy. WIFs (can) require just as much thought and effort as a researched model of an actual aircraft. IMHO, it is all about the journey, not the destination. The process, not the results (unless, I suppose, you're building for a commission or to win a contest). Guess that's why I end up either giving away or selling off more of my finished models than those I keep around (which mostly gather dust in the garage), and seldom enter contests, nor am I good with deadlines. I think the discussion, the discovery, and the exchange of information is more meaningful to me in the end than the completed kit in most cases...which is not to say that I'm not proud of my finished work, just that that is not why I enjoy the hobby. I'm equally interested in looking at the work of others, both in-progress and completed efforts: talking through the choices in both construction and determining how to represent the particular mark, version, mod, etc. is what really interests me.

More Geekiness here, I guess, I and I, too am good with it. :worship:

Harv you feel exactly how I do. I even bring my models into work and often give them away. I DO get a promice that they won't be given to children or made into targets for the pelet gun first. I feel like I put some of my self into the model. The research always takes alot longer for me and I am proud to say I am a aircraft geek. I joined the Air Force for that reason. I have built up kits that wern't so interesting but were cheep and by the time I finished reading about the history of the type I wanted to stay home from work to work on it. (F-101 for instance) I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with this passion. I think this ARC forum is the most outstanding source for reference, links, and first hand accounts. I appreciate the help and have never had any request go unanswered. I salute you all.

Curt

I do a lot of research. For a subject I know nothing about, but have an interest in, I get books, photos and learn as much as i can to develope that interest into a passion. The internet is a god send, but so are books, and museums. I made a 700 mile trip to a museum and got an appointment to see a particular aircraft, and got to browse their library some. It's all about learning something new and more than just face value.

Regards

Steve