I have had a long term build project, running off and on for about five years now. The project resolves around 1:72 F/A-18s, both Legacy and Super Hornets, in markings of every operator. Currently I only have eight completed and about five more on the workbench in some stage. Now I know this project is going to take a large amount of time, hense the reason I call it a 'life' project.

I was wondering if anyone else out there is taking on or thinking of such a project. And if so, what is it?

I have had a long term build project, running off and on for about five years now. The project resolves around 1:72 F/A-18s, both Legacy and Super Hornets, in markings of every operator. Currently I only have eight completed and about five more on the workbench in some stage. Now I know this project is going to take a large amount of time, hense the reason I call it a 'life' project.

I was wondering if anyone else out there is taking on or thinking of such a project. And if so, what is it?

I am building a 1:350th scale U.S.S. Nimitz with representatives from each squadron in the air wing in 48th scale

Yup Matt...you're certifiable (just plain nvts...nuts).....that or you have the cajones to imagine a project and go for it, with vigor!!!. I'm not that ambitious...wife, kids, VA have taken some of my ambition away......Not all :cheers: .

Wow, I'd like to see a photo of the finished ones in flightline formation!

I have the same ambitions for the F-14. Sooner or later I'll have one from each unit in 1:48, but that's a tall order considering the complexity and cost of the Hasegawa kit. I'm not willing to use the Revell or Academy kits for the project, so unless someone comes out with a new-tool Tomcat that I can buy in bulk, I'll be stuck cranking out one Hasegawa at a time. Current build count stands at zero; I'm busy with a Tamiya Tomcat right now. Subject-wise, i guess I'm stuck in a rut...

Mine is not quite that wide in scope, but I'm eventually going to build every version of the Strike Eagle...F-15B demonstrator, F-15E, F-15S, F-15I, F-15K and F-15SG and have them all displayed together. I've actually got several F-15E's planned, but just one of the other versions. But, like you, it is a long term project. Right now I've got one F-15E about halfway done and an F-15S about a quarter of the way done, but that's been it and I've bee working on it for probably a year and a half now.

Aaron

I've done all but 3 or 4 of the USN/USMC legacy and super hornet squadrons in 1:48...but that's been over the last 11 or twelve years.

There's a hobby shop in Jacksonville that has a neat diorama of a flightline with 1:72 F-14's. IIRC, theres 8 or nine Tomcats in various markings, including a WHIF Canadian Tomcat. I don't know who built them, but it's pretty neat.

-Mike

I have plans of making a line up of Bf-109s, ranging from the early V prototypes, through the war models, via the s199 and onto the Buchon, ending with a Buchon in german colours as an airshow exhibit....All in 1/48.

Current status, got a bunch of 109 kits lined up, and a G-6 started, with a D next.

Ken

I've always wanted to build Tamyia's 1/72 Aichi Seiran. And the entire I-400 Submarine, too.... :jaw-dropping:

Not really a "life" build, but more than a single large project, I've always wanted to make a model of all the "strange" B-36s in 1/72- "RASCAL" carrier, NB-36, Tom-Tom/FICON carrier, etc. I've got a start on the XB-36, so it remains to be seen how much progress I make on the rest.

My life project is to build at least one of every aircraft, in 1/48, the Israeli Airforce ever have flown.

I've currently built 5 Skyhawks, 5 F-16's, 2 Phantoms II, 2 F-15's one D and one I, A Vautour, Mirage III, Kfir, Spitfire, Mustang, S-199 Avia, and a MD-500.

On the desk I've got two more F-16's and a Phantom at the moment.

:jaw-dropping:

/Bosse

Matt,

I just moved into a new house with a HUGE basement for modeling, and to celebrate, I've decided to follow in my fellow modeer's footsteps and build 1/72 F-14s from all operators.

Lost in Texas

yep Matt - you'r Nuts ! - just like the rest................................

Personaly I'm trying forA reprisentation of most tactical Aircraft form the '80's onwards

My plan is to build the range of Spitfires, all Mks and variants, with the main operator being the RCAF, but of course will need others in there to complete this.

So far, out of my 8 - 10 Hase Mk VIII/IX I have finished a Mk VIII in 417 Sqn colours, have a 400 Sqn Mk XI very near completion and want to finish my 443 Sqn MK XVI for the coming Ajax show. I have a bunch of Mk XIVs on the go and a Mk XXI along with a SeaFang and a couple of Seafires. So I guess my workbench is a smaller version of Castle Bromwich.

Not crazy at all. I'm in the process of completing a longer term project that is to build a Sabre to represent the 12 squadrons that flew them with 1 Air Division in France and Germany in the '50s and '60s. I'll probably do a few others as well. Currently, I have 413, 421, 430, 439 and 444 squadrons represented along with the Golden Hawks. I still have 410, 414, 416, 422, 427, 434 and 441 squadrons to complete along with a couple of other Sabre builds, including OTU and home defense squadrons.

Keep at it.

Mike

Edited by AX 365

Ah...that's a great project, Matt. but in terms of craziness, that's nothing. Try 6 days of sitting in a bird blind, armed with a pro-body camera, a 600mm lens up at Braekendale, waiting for the right BALD EAGLE shot to come along. Now THAT'S INSANITY. At least my stomach would be telling me so.

Sounds like a very attainable project in 72nd. I'll have to echo Andrew Ds F-14 project, but I'm very willing to use the Monogram kit. Another project that I've had in mind for the last 20 or so years is to build one aircraft from each squadron from CVW-1 in 48th from when they were aboard the USS America during DS. With the release of the Kinetic E-2C, I have 100% of all the kits I need, & 95% of the decals (need decals for VAW-123 Screwtops, & I know I've seen them somewhere recently).

Another "big" project is to build a B-1 from every squadron, in 48th, but only the gunship grey schemes. Only planning on building one or two of the SIOP scheme. Good thing I've got a room that I can turn into a display room.

Sounds like a very attainable project in 72nd. I'll have to echo Andrew Ds F-14 project, but I'm very willing to use the Monogram kit. Another project that I've had in mind for the last 20 or so years is to build one aircraft from each squadron from CVW-1 in 48th from when they were aboard the USS America during DS. With the release of the Kinetic E-2C, I have 100% of all the kits I need, & 95% of the decals (need decals for VAW-123 Screwtops, & I know I've seen them somewhere recently).

Another "big" project is to build a B-1 from every squadron, in 48th, but only the gunship grey schemes. Only planning on building one or two of the SIOP scheme. Good thing I've got a room that I can turn into a display room.

Back in my 72nd days I did one of every user of the Phantom, my last one was an Aussie one. I had also tried to do a representative one of every scheme and variant along with most of the loadouts they would have used.

I think I had 25-30 (mostly Esci ones along with Fujimi and Monogram ones) before my cat wiped out the shelf.

I believe Darren Roberts is doing a Tomcat collection representing all the squadrons who have flown it. Considering the numbers of models we had at Tomcat Sunset 2006 and we were only short 5 squadrons, that is A LOT of planes!

As for me, while it is a smaller number, it is no less significant as a collection as I want to have at least one model of every Space Shuttle orbiter that has flown, representing a piece of history in the shuttle program's life. This collection will probably be in 1/144 scale. I already have a launch stack with Columbia from STS-107 represented, even if it is starting to show its age. So Columbia would be a launch stack, Challenger would be touching down at Edwards after a mission, Discovery would likely be servicing the Hubble telescope on one of its flights, Atlantis would be docked with the Mir space station and Endeavour would be hooked up to the ISS. Finally, Enterprise would be on the 747 as a representation of the ALT glide flights.

mine is with the blackbirds in 1/48th: A-12, A-12B, M/D-21, all three YF-12, SR-71A (various schemes, gear up gear down, engine/nose change/long tail) SR-71B, SR-71C.

Its going to take a while, but its a challenge I'm up for!

David

Mine is not quite that wide in scope, but I'm eventually going to build every version of the Strike Eagle...F-15B demonstrator, F-15E, F-15S, F-15I, F-15K and F-15SG and have them all displayed together. I've actually got several F-15E's planned, but just one of the other versions. But, like you, it is a long term project. Right now I've got one F-15E about halfway done and an F-15S about a quarter of the way done, but that's been it and I've bee working on it for probably a year and a half now.

Aaron

Hopefully Revell and Michaels keep the 1/48th F-15E around for a while. Would like to do every F-15E sq, wing and numbered AF bird.

I would also like to build the same for the F-22 but have not picked a scale for the F-22 yet. Since the price of the F-15A/B/C/D is up there Ill pick a few wings and do the squadrons under that wing, I have a few planed already and luckily a few of the wings have or have flown the F-15E too. So that will make little collections/projects withen the bigger projects :thumbsup:

A little long term project I have is also to build USAF and Navy demo birds etc that I have seen at air shows and display them in flight.

Other then Planes, I would like to build at-least one Ford Mustang of every body style through the years, would like to do the same with the Corvette but the Mustangs are higher on the priority list right now.

Edited by Wayne S

I'm a F-16 fan also tangled in a long term project to built all 25 users, so far I've got 11, a few more on the bench... the thread is here for those who might be interested in checking the vipers, Also got Two Hornets, the First Finish AF Two seat HN-461 and an splinter camo NSAWC, Blackhawks in all scales, no mate, you're not alone!