Driving pet peeves

Another peeve! Guys who drive HUGE lifted offroad or farm trucks in the city! WTH guys?

Curt

I actually get a kick out of women who own those. Let's psychoanalyze that...

Ken

In no particular order -

- Living in a state that enforces the amount of window tint that is acceptable and then seeing just about every local / state police cruiser with windows completely black.

- Living in a state that fines for letting stationary vehicles idle for more than 5-10 minutes and then seeing police officers on detail remained parked for their 8 hour shift and their cruiser is idling the entire time. I had a police officer come out to my job site a few months ago (he was friends with one of my guys). He got out of his cruiser to shoot the sh*t with his buddy for two hours and then left. The cruiser remained running the entire time.

- On a related note to item 2, having to pay a police officer $47/hr for a traffic detail while every other state in the country permits one to use "flaggers". Not really a driving issue per se, but I figured I'd include it.

- Police cruisers that seem to be immune from any posted speed limit (I'm talking about normal driving, no blues lights on). Not that I think this is necessarily a bad thing since I've seen other cruisers occasionally drive down the road at exactly 55 MPH and back up traffic for a mile behind them but when you continually get passed on the highway by state police doing 80 with no lights on, you tend to think that there just "might" be a double standard for the boys in blue. The really cool part is when they come up on you at high speed (well above the posted limit), no lights on, ride your bumper until you pull out of their way and then blast up to the next poor person down the road and repeat...

Trying to ignore the apparent biased you have against police officers I do have a couple of comments. First off, do police officers really make $47/hr where you are? I've never heard of a traffic patrol guy making that kind of cash, most have to take private security gigs just to make ends meet but maybe it's different where you are.

As for the tint and the leaving the car running idle, I think that's a security and speed of response thing. The same reason police officers aren't required to wear seat belts. Can you imagine getting to a scene being fired at and not being able to get out of your seat fast enough.

Also, as someone stated, some police are responding to a call lights and sirens off for various reasons.

Cut them some slack dude, they are after all risking their life just about every day.

Anyway, that's all I got to say about that.

Bill

This is what I want for; Women drivers putting on makeup, tailgaters, red light/stop sign runners, people flipping you off for something they did, people refusing to dim their lights, talking/texting on their cell phone, driving down emergency lane during traffic, not using their turn signals, etc, etc, etc...... :fight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvYV5QZtevk

In no particular order -

- Living in a state that enforces the amount of window tint that is acceptable and then seeing just about every local / state police cruiser with windows completely black.

- Living in a state that fines for letting stationary vehicles idle for more than 5-10 minutes and then seeing police officers on detail remained parked for their 8 hour shift and their cruiser is idling the entire time. I had a police officer come out to my job site a few months ago (he was friends with one of my guys). He got out of his cruiser to shoot the sh*t with his buddy for two hours and then left. The cruiser remained running the entire time.

- On a related note to item 2, having to pay a police officer $47/hr for a traffic detail while every other state in the country permits one to use "flaggers". Not really a driving issue per se, but I figured I'd include it.

- Police cruisers that seem to be immune from any posted speed limit (I'm talking about normal driving, no blues lights on). Not that I think this is necessarily a bad thing since I've seen other cruisers occasionally drive down the road at exactly 55 MPH and back up traffic for a mile behind them but when you continually get passed on the highway by state police doing 80 with no lights on, you tend to think that there just "might" be a double standard for the boys in blue. The really cool part is when they come up on you at high speed (well above the posted limit), no lights on, ride your bumper until you pull out of their way and then blast up to the next poor person down the road and repeat. If I ran the world, the rule would be to use your blues if you are responding to an emergency, otherwise, you stay at the average traffic speed of everyone around you.

I've been a police officer for 27 years and I think I might have a pretty good idea of what I'm talking about here. I'm going to preface my response by saying that most highway traffic laws and municipal by-laws in the U.S and Canada share many similarities but they are quite different. I don't mean this to turn into a pi$$ing contest. Having said that, I have noted your observations and there are number of exemptions built into these laws for police officers / peace officers / emergency services workers (paramedics and firefighters). Perhaps you might wish to check the various statutes of your city and state to determine what these exemptions are. Also, while there are statutory exemptions and allowances, there are also officer and public safety practices and case and common law authorities that come into play in your various scenarios as well.

Window tint

Security, practicality and privacy. If you're under arrest and sitting in the back of my cruiser, window tint affords you some sense of privacy from curious onlookers. There are also times where we don't want prying eyes looking into the car and reading confidential information on the computer screen while we might be out of the car. Closing the laptop's screen might be the last thing on my mind when I'm running into a domestic dispute or a bar fight.

Anti-idling

Keeps the cruiser, not to mention the radios and computers and other equipment, cool in summer and warm in winter, and ready to respond to any call at a moments notice. It also ensures there is constant power supply to the car's battery to ensure that the cruiser starts when the officer needs it to as radios and laptops and other electronic equipment can cause battery drain. Imagine an officer driving a cruiser that develops, unbeknownst to him, a faulty alternator / charging system problem. Said officer stops at a local cafe to grab a coffee and a bite to eat. Emergency call comes in over the portable radio. Officer interrupts their meal, jumps in the cruiser, ready to respond to the call only to have the car not start because the battery is dead. Far fetched? Nope. It's happened to me and a few other officers I know. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Also...our K9 officers have a necessity to keep the dogs safe. Leaving the truck running will ensure the dog is ready to go whenever needed.

Paying officers for traffic details

Not sure about where you live but the only time many officers in these parts do stuff like that for free is during an emergency or when we're legally obligated to. Most police services that I'm aware of make anyone who wants the police for their own personal use (traffic detail, concert security, hockey games, street festivals, etc) make that person / agency / company pay for it. If you see two officers with a cruisers doing point duty (directing traffic) at a construction / road maintenance site, the company will have paid our police service quite handsomely for the officers and the car. My last recollection of the cost for this service is about $60 / hour for each officer and about $25 / hour for the cruiser for a minimum of four hours. Even if the paid duty lasts 15 minutes, the officer is paid time and a half for four hours. Those costs are borne directly by the contractor and not the taxpayer. It's called generating revenue and cost recovery. A non-issue in my opinion.

Emergency equipment vs no emergency equipment

More times than not, first responders using lights and sirens on their vehicles cause more problems than they solve. Quite often sheeple have no idea what to do when confronted with flashing lights and sirens. On a highway, or when driving at higher speeds, sirens are almost useless because, although we're not quite traveling at the speed of sound, there's a limitation with the projection of the sound from the siren. Couple that with people driving with the windows up, air condition going full blast and the tunes cranked up to max volume, I could park a cruiser behind you and blast away with the siren until I was blue in the face and you still wouldn't hear me. Also, one of the last things I want to do when responding to an emergency (break and enter, robbery, etc) is let the bad guys know I'm coming. What a great way to persuade them to run away than by announcing our presence with horns and sirens. By the same token, if someone is in distress, fearing for their life or are in dire circumstances, there's nothing more reassuring than hearing a siren, knowing that help is on the way. Each response is dependent on the situation. One response that is suitable and practical for one type of call is not necessarily the proper or correct approach for another.

We're all entitled to our opinions. However, if you see a police officer or other emergency services worker doing something you might think is questionable, stop and think for a minute. There is probably a very good reason for him or her doing it. You may not like it or agree with some of the things we do but it's part and parcel of our duties and obligations as a first responder to protect life and property. Along with other laws, the legislation that grants us our authorities and exemptions also holds us accountable for what we do.

From someone who has been in the policing business for over half my life, I hope this sheds some perspective on your observations.

I always wonder why police don't follow ambulances to issue heavy, HEAVY citations for not yielding to emergency vehicles.

I have on a couple of occasions but for the most part, we're on completely different radio systems and we don't always get sent to the same calls. I have given out a fair number of stubs to deserving offenders though.

I've been a police officer for 27 years and I think I might have a pretty good idea of what I'm talking about here. However, if you see a police officer or other emergency services worker doing something you might think is questionable, stop and think for a minute. There is probably a very good reason for him or her doing it. You may not like it or agree with some of the things we do but it's part and parcel of our duties and obligations as a first responder to protect life and property. Along with other laws, the legislation that grants us our authorities and exemptions also holds us accountable for what we do.

From someone who has been in the policing business for over half my life, I hope this sheds some perspective on your observations.

Thanks for adding a perspective from the PD side of things. I do agree with some of your points. However,

Window Tinting - I thought the restrictions on heavy tint was for safety reasons. Here in MA, I've seen many local and state cruisers w/ all windows completely tinted. If the Commonwealth deems heavy tint a safety issue, I just don't see how one can make the case that police officers have better night vision than the rest of us and can drive with blacked out windows. Tint in the rear is one thing, but all four window's blacked out seems a bit much. Back in the day, you never saw cruiser windows tinted like this, it only seems to have become common in the last 5-10 years.

Idling - Point taken but I guess I have to ask, if you have to wonder if your cruiser is going to start when needed, maybe it's time for a new cruiser? I would think having a cruiser running 8-10 hrs per day, every day (maybe longer if the cruiser gets used on all three shifts) must put more wear and tear on the engine than starting and stopping every so often. No question that if you have a K-9, it needs to be running.

Details - Mass is a bit unique in that police details are pretty much mandatory for any work on a public road. They did pass a law that allows flaggers in some scenarios (after much resistance from police unions) but I have yet to see any flagger on a highway in this state. A few companies have tried to use flagmen but in at least one case, local police were cited for threatening the work crews. Last time I needed a police detail, I paid the local town $197 for a 4 hour minimum (the actual work took 1 hour but you pay for 4 regardless). A $15 service charge went to the town, the rest to the officer. For some highway work, it not unusual to see 3, 4 or more cruisers at a work site. Quite often, for highway jobs, the officers remain in in their vehicles (which as noted above, are always running). Given that most/all work on public roads is funded by town or state, the public does pick up the tab for this service. I know that for all of my jobs that require details, the end customer is the State of Mass. I've got a small scale project coming up that has a budget of $9,000 for police traffic control. Every penny of this is being paid by the state.

I have no issue with officers working private details (parking lot traffic control at games, security at concerts, bars, etc) but IMHO, using police for highway traffic details is not taxpayer money being well spent. Nothing wrong with making some OT, without it money would be tight for many of us, just not on highway traffic details.

Speeding with no lights - My primary concern is driving on a major highway and seeing an unlighted cruiser come up at high speed on someone's a** and stay there until the poor guy pulls out of the way. Many cruisers these days have low profile lights (or none at all), there is no way the guy driving can tell he has a police officer 3' off his rear bumper (not an exaggeration, I've seen it more than once), while he is doing 70 mph. I don't think this behavior is appropriate.

If you are responding at high speed through a residential neighborhood, I think lights and siren have to be mandatory. Don't know if there are specific rules for this but I think public safety has to take precedence over the need for stealth. If you can keep the speed close to the limit, then I agree that lights and sirens should be optional, at the discretion of the officer.

Anyway, I appreciate you taking the time to constructively discuss these issues. Thanks for the feedback and stay safe.

John

Edited by 11bee

Thanks for adding a perspective from the PD side of things. I do agree with some of your points. However,

Window Tinting - I thought the restrictions on heavy tint was for safety reasons. Here in MA, I've seen many local and state cruisers w/ all windows completely tinted. If the Commonwealth deems heavy tint a safety issue, I just don't see how one can make the case that police officers have better night vision than the rest of us and can drive with blacked out windows. Tint in the rear is one thing, but all four window's blacked out seems a bit much. Back in the day, you never saw cruiser windows tinted like this, it only seems to have become common in the last 5-10 years.

Idling - Point taken but I guess I have to ask, if you have to wonder if your cruiser is going to start when needed, maybe it's time for a new cruiser? I would think having a cruiser running 8-10 hrs per day, every day (maybe longer if the cruiser gets used on all three shifts) must put more wear and tear on the engine than starting and stopping every so often. No question that if you have a K-9, it needs to be running.

Details - Mass is a bit unique in that police details are pretty much mandatory for any work on a public road. They did pass a law that allows flaggers in some scenarios (after much resistance from police unions) but I have yet to see any flagger on a highway in this state. A few companies have tried to use flagmen but in at least one case, local police were cited for threatening the work crews. Last time I needed a police detail, I paid the local town $197 for a 4 hour minimum (the actual work took 1 hour but you pay for 4 regardless). A $15 service charge went to the town, the rest to the officer. For some highway work, it not unusual to see 3, 4 or more cruisers at a work site. Quite often, for highway jobs, the officers remain in in their vehicles (which as noted above, are always running). Given that most/all work on public roads is funded by town or state, the public does pick up the tab for this service. I know that for all of my jobs that require details, the end customer is the State of Mass. I've got a small scale project coming up that has a budget of $9,000 for police traffic control. Every penny of this is being paid by the state.

I have no issue with officers working private details (parking lot traffic control at games, security at concerts, bars, etc) but IMHO, using police for highway traffic details is not taxpayer money being well spent. Nothing wrong with making some OT, without it money would be tight for many of us, just not on highway traffic details.

Speeding with no lights - My primary concern is driving on a major highway and seeing an unlighted cruiser come up at high speed on someone's a** and stay there until the poor guy pulls out of the way. Many cruisers these days have low profile lights (or none at all), there is no way the guy driving can tell he has a police officer 3' off his rear bumper (not an exaggeration, I've seen it more than once), while he is doing 70 mph. I don't think this behavior is appropriate.

If you are responding at high speed through a residential neighborhood, I think lights and siren have to be mandatory. Don't know if there are specific rules for this but I think public safety has to take precedence over the need for stealth. If you can keep the speed close to the limit, then I agree that lights and sirens should be optional, at the discretion of the officer.

Anyway, I appreciate you taking the time to constructively discuss these issues. Thanks for the feedback and stay safe.

John

Tinted windows make it harder to see the guy stuffing the gun or drugs under the seat of the car he just stopped.

Idling. Our patrol cars have: Radio, Trax ticket computer and printer, Mobile data terminal, up link, plate reader, and probably a few other gadgets that draw power.Not only do they suck power, they also take time to boot up if the car is shut off. Neither the County nor the State can afford new cars now. NYSP, at least in Troop C, are going to be run their cars to at least 175K before they even think about replacing them. Same for the Sheriff's Office.

Traffic Details: Contractors pay for the car and officer. NYSP does have a construction car in our area to assist State DOT, private companies pay out of their pocket. We had an accident a few years ago where a bus killed a worker after rear ending the cement mixer he was standing behind. Because of that NY enacted stiffer penalties for speeding in a work zone. A patrol presence does slow people down in a construction zone.

Being up on the highway is just as dangerous as a domestic call. I know three officers who have been involved in accidents while sitting on the highway taking accident reports, all by some idiot who was not paying attention.

Speeding: Keep right except to pass! If you aren't passing some one get over, then you won't get tailgated. Also watch your mirrors. You see someone come up behind you move over.

When I drove ambulance, the siren was worthless at highway speeds, and not much better on regular roads. Most people drove with their head where they could not see, and that was before cell phones and I Pods. The best thing I found was the regular car type horn. You hear that, and you start looking around because you think you just made someone mad.

Statistically red lights and siren don't save much time anyway, and cause more problems than they solve.

If a cop is hauling it somewhere, That cop needs to be somewhere and it's none of my business as long as he's not after me. If I see the CHP on the freeway cutting through traffic, He will be on someone who will be pulled over soon enough, and the average speed will go up 10MPH soon after we all pass him.

I hate when you are on the road on lets say a Sunday morning and there are three CHP sitting a mile apart just to get you going 70MPH after you pass the guy pulled over...LOL However! The law is the law! I got warned for doing 68MPH at 6am on a Sunday when my cruse control was set at 65! I had 4 lanes all to myself, and I had to dig deep to stay at the speed limit! Lucky I was in uniform on the way to work!

BIG Peeve! People who hate on police.

Curt

If a cop is hauling it somewhere, That cop needs to be somewhere

BIG Peeve! People who hate on police.

Curt

He's hauling it somewhere so he needs to be somewhere?

He does? How do you know this?

Hopefully one can can make the distinction between people who question certain behaviors that they observe on occasion vrs those who truly "hate" police. Nothing wrong with questioning authority, to paraphrase the old hippie slogan, that is supposed to be a good thing in this country, or it used to be anyway. Plus the local papers are constantly publishing articles that seem to demonstrate that not everyone who dons a badge and straps on a pistol is a saint but that is no different than any other profession, you get mostly good folks and with a few not-so good folks added to the mix now and then.

It's been an enlightening discussion but this is one of those sacred cows that can't be discussed without some folks getting tense. Let's get back to complaining about "civilians" not using turn signals.

Turds on cell phones. You're not that important that your call can't wait.

People who drive 20 km/h under the speed limit on twisting highways that don't allow for passing.

People who drive the speed limit in the passing lane because they feel it's their obligation to have you drive the speed limit.

Tailgaters. If I can't see your headlights and / or front license plate in my rear view mirror, you may be a bit too close.

Tailgaters who eventually pass you, pull into the lane in front of you and then slow down.

Motorcyclists who drive crotch rockets like dickheads.

Teenagers who put 'soup can' exhausts on their 4 door 1993 Honda Accord and think their driving a race car.

Turds driving these kinds of cars who feel the need to make their exhausts as loud as they can.

Turds driving these kinds of cars who pull up beside my Mustang at a red light and then feel the need to race me.

Turds like these who think they can drive like the professionals in the movies.

People who are too brain dead or spatially unaware to pull over for emergency vehicles with lights and sirens going.

People who allow their 'floor duster' dogs (Cockapoos, Shi Tzu's, etc) to climb all over them while they're driving.

Morons who think signal lights are optional equipment.

Numpties who are too stupid to turn on their headlights after dark.

Anyone who drinks and drives.

Nimrods who will cut across four lanes of traffic three feet before a major intersection because they're in the wrong lane and have to make a turn onto that intersecting road.

Those who don't shoulder check and make a lane change while almost taking off the front end of my car.

Women who put on make up and steer with their knees while driving on the highway.

Idiots who read books and newspapers while driving.

Hammerheads who have the driver's seat so far back that they're almost lying down.

I don't need to hear hip-hop / club / dance / rap 'music' set at 9,000,000 decibels coming from a little rice burner at a red light.

Jackwads who drive like maniacs only to get to the red light 10 seconds before you do.

Dumbazzes who drive around Road Closed / Detour signs because they think the road is closed for everyone but them only to emerge moments later, learning that the road rally is impassable.

Those who don't understand that a red octagon sign with the word STOP on it means coming to a full stop; not slowing down to 30 km/h.

Those who believe red lights apply to everyone but them.

Those who don't understand that a YIELD sign means slow sown and stop if necessary and YIELD to those who have the right of way.

Dinks who jump the green light to make a left turn while cutting you off while you have the right of way to go straight through.

There are many other but I have to go now and take some of my blood pressure medication...

Wow they always say Canadians are close to Australians. The same BS posted happens here as well! Although we don't have yield signs! ;-)

Ahhh, Tailgaters... I set up my right windshield sprayer to shoot over the car. I always get a huge kick out of seeing their windshield wipers come on and the car backs off 99% of the time.

Damn good idea. Going to adjust when I get home!

I just pull-over, let tailgaters race by, and chant,"Go, with speed, oh sacrifice to the State Patrol Gods..." And enjoy deep satisfaction when they receive a personalized certificate attesting to the velocity potential of their vehicle.

I'm glad we're heavily patrolled, here. Oddly, in Oregon, I watched the same white pick-up get nailed THREE times on his way east from Portland. You'd think the fool would learn.

after reading all your stuf on police i must quote this from the Simpsons

Homer speeds by a police cruiser.

Lou: Chief hes doing 100mph

Chief: Let im go Lou. Someone going that fast is in way too much of a hurry to get a ticket!

:doh:

Edited by Neo

- Police cruisers that seem to be immune from any posted speed limit (I'm talking about normal driving, no blues lights on). Not that I think this is necessarily a bad thing since I've seen other cruisers occasionally drive down the road at exactly 55 MPH and back up traffic for a mile behind them but when you continually get passed on the highway by state police doing 80 with no lights on, you tend to think that there just "might" be a double standard for the boys in blue. The really cool part is when they come up on you at high speed (well above the posted limit), no lights on, ride your bumper until you pull out of their way and then blast up to the next poor person down the road and repeat. If I ran the world, the rule would be to use your blues if you are responding to an emergency, otherwise, you stay at the average traffic speed of everyone around you.

YES. I totally, 100% agree with this.

1) Rear fog lights are useful... when you're 100 meters ahead of me. When I'm right behind you, believe me, I'M SEEING YOU (proof is I haven't rear-ended you) and there's no need to keep a blinding red light or two aimed at my eyeballs.

2) Unrestrained kids rioting on the back seat.

3) Riding in flippers.

sheeple

LOL, Mall ninja much?

Fog lights are especially useful if someone is tailgating you.

My car has two rear fog lights, next to where the brake lights are. So if someone gets too close I flick on the fogs and they suddenly drop back quite a distance! Suckers :coolio:

As a pedestrian, my pet peeve is bloody moron drivers who can't seem to wrap their thick skulls around the concept that when crossing with the light and the walk signal sez "go" pedestrians have right-of-way, and that just 'cuz you're in the turn lane and the light cycles once doesn't mean you have the right to get through the intersection that cycle...

Seriously, around my area the light turns red and 3-5 more stupid monkeys still go through anyway...

And what's up with that whole thing about crossing the plane of the intersection and blocking OUR crosswalks when ya darn well KNOW you ain't gonna make it through on this light, so ya not just block the crosswalk but the intersection too?

I swear, drivers in the Seattle area make me wish I had the shoes worn by SPECTRE agents in From Russia With Love, the ones with the retractable kicking-spikes in the toes...

Yesterday, I was driving in Amsterdam (for work)..

I was driving behind a student driver (which can be recognized in Holland by the big blue signs with an L on them in white, for learnes)... dumbtwit behind me somehow is in a hurry and starts to hobk his horn....

Yeah I slowed down, just to **** him off...

harald

ps that and changing lanes without signalling......

1)People who drive with their fog lights on esp the front ones when it's NOT foggy.

2)Drivers that overtake approaching a slip road and then leave using that slip road. - What you mean you can't wait a few extra seconds?

3)Chav mobiles that think it's cool to have massive exhuasts, music so loud it almost vibrates the windows out, and that simply have to drive everywhere like they are in a Grand Prix.

4)People who drive up slip roads onto dual carrigeways and motorways hoping you will either slow down or move over.

5)Not so much about driving this one but people who complain about speed cameras/traps. - It's simple, if you are not speeding you won't get fined etc. What part of it's illegal to speed no matter the road/traffic conditions don't they understand, do they think this law doesn't apply to them?

------------------

5)Not so much about driving this one but people who complain about speed cameras/traps. - It's simple, if you are not speeding you won't get fined etc. What part of it's illegal to speed no matter the road/traffic conditions don't they understand, do they think this law doesn't apply to them?

Conversely, what about antiquated speed limits? vehicle technology (tires, suspension, brakes, etc) has moved forward in leaps and bounds, yet the speeds our roads are limited too are the same as ever, or even slower than a couple of decades ago. Why? :rolleyes:

Conversely, what about antiquated speed limits? vehicle technology (tires, suspension, brakes, etc) has moved forward in leaps and bounds, yet the speeds our roads are limited too are the same as ever, or even slower than a couple of decades ago. Why? :rolleyes:

Because not everyone has followed the leaps and bounds? :)