What to do with the USS Enterprise.

If you could decide what could be done with the USS Enterprise after being retired, what would you do with it? Just thought it would be interesting to see all the ideas that you can come up with. My idea would be a floating emergency facility for natural disaster. Less all the nuclear power plants of course. It would have to be moved by other ships but it would have plenty of room for emergency supplies. Could carry plenty of fuel for on board power plants to supply power to communites that would need it. Whats your ideas?

Steve

If you could decide what could be done with the USS Enterprise after being retired, what would you do with it? Just thought it would be interesting to see all the ideas that you can come up with. My idea would be a floating emergency facility for natural disaster. Less all the nuclear power plants of course. It would have to be moved by other ships but it would have plenty of room for emergency supplies. Could carry plenty of fuel for on board power plants to supply power to communites that would need it. Whats your ideas?

Steve

Sink it in 250' of water off of someplace tropical and turn it into the biggest wreck dive on the planet.

There's going to be nothing but an empty shell by the time they are done. There are 8 reactors in the Enterprise (which will all end up about 50 miles southeast of where I live) that have to be ripped out of that thing. By the time they get done with that, the only thing the remains will be good for is scrap.

Aaron

..and I understand that cutting out the reactors and removing any contaminated parts will leave the ship so structurally compromised she won't even be able to be towed..leaving scrapping the only really viable option. It would be nice if maybe the island could be saved, but where would you put it? It would have to end up on outdoor display somewhere (with ocean accsess..unless you could somehow break it down into pieces small enough to move overland and then reassemble it on site) and then you'd need some organization and funding to maintain it, or the weather would reduce it to junk in just a few years.

SN

Take off the island and put it at the entrance to Norfolk. Make a light house out of it. Still on military property so no one will screw around with it. Scrap 99% of the hull. Turn 1% into small strips. Sell them or give them as souvenirs giving the proceeds to the childrens last wish charity.

Edited by phantom

Tow it to a nearby port and let it provide the power for the surrounding area. Kind of a floating nuke power plant.

I'll have to ask which one, but my father in law remembers when they stuck a carrier (non-nuclear) in Commencement Bay and it powered the whole city of Tacoma, WA for a month.

Aaron

Tow it to a nearby port and let it provide the power for the surrounding area. Kind of a floating nuke power plant.

You wouldn't want the contamination. Those reactors on the Enterprise are OLD and past the end of their service life....1-2 have been shut down for years from what I gather since there were few spare parts to begin with.

sell it to Canada we like to buy old stuff people dont want anymore ...... cough cough English Diesel subs...

OOOO nice shot :P

sounds like a no win situation. A lack of foresight did in the original Enterprise from WW2 real shame as it was as decorated as her nuclear name sake. Sometimes as much as you want to save a historic piece of history it just not work out. She should be remembered somehow but just what is a head scratchier

As a Nuc Engineer I can tell you it cannot be saved. The hull will be torn apart in many sections to remove the 8 reactors. There is no possible way it can be saved for a museum piece. The same happened to the USS Long Beach, though her hull remains and waits for scrapping. I do not think you will ever see a Nuc carrier become an exhibit. It would be great if the island could be saved and placed in a museum someplace such as the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola. I would have thought the USS JFK would have been a good museum candidate but the cost of up keeping a large carrier would be huge.

Sorry to say the old girl will not be saved.

Defuel it, sink it at the deepest part of the ocean and wait until an alien race hits us with radioactive meteorite bombs that destroy the surface of the earth. Then we can use its hulk to create an ultra modern space carrier to undertake a desperate mission to the magellanic cloud to obtain the Cosmo Cleaner.

... just sayin' we should be prepared for anything.

Defuel it, sink it at the deepest part of the ocean and wait until an alien race hits us with radioactive meteorite bombs that destroy the surface of the earth. Then we can use its hulk to create an ultra modern space carrier to undertake a desperate mission to the magellanic cloud to obtain the Cosmo Cleaner.

... just sayin' we should be prepared for anything.

PNW_Modeler already beat you to the punch with the Space Battleship Yamato reference. ;)