What is your favourite scale for Helicopters ?

Preferred Scale for Helicopters  

67 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preferred scale for helicopter models

So since the rotary wing model elite tend to congregate here, I thought I would ask the question. Probably been asked before but an updated opinion can't hurt.

Personally I stick to 1/48 for helicopters as it gives me a good balance between size, detail and kit availability. But what about you?

Please feel free to make a vote for your "preferred" choice only and leave a comment if you like. There's nothing to read into the poll just my curiosity. Of course if some kit manufacturers looked at how popular helicopter kits can be we might get more.

Turning to 1:48 too, after years of building in 1:72. I must admit this preference may have to do with an over the years slowly deteriorating eyesight.

1:32 kits are not bad either, but the bigger ones just take to much shelf space.

My perfect modelling world would consist of smaller helicopters in a bigger scale and big helicpters in a small scale. I don't understand the release of a 1:35 model of a Chinook, just as a 1:72 model of an OH6 or TH55 frustrates the heck out of me.

:cheers:

Gertjan

Edited by GeejeeZ

None, whichever makes what I think is the best helo at the time. For instance I have a number of Zvezda Hinds in 1/72, H-34's and H-46's in 1/48 and UH-1C's in 1/35.

It depends which aircraft you want to represent. For example, i see ridiculously big a 1/35 Super Stallion or a Chinook, therefore i prefer those in 1/48.

But, if youre talking about a small or medium size helo, like OH-58, MD500, Huey, Cobra or UH-60, definitly 1/35.

That being said my favourite scale for helos is 1/35.

Rod.

Edited by salvador001

I've always built in 1/72 (for everything) as I wanted a consistent same scale with the best selection of kits. There is a 1/48 scale helicopter guy in our club that often looks at my kits and says "I wish they made that in 1/48" so I think i made the right choice.....

Edited by RCAFFAN

One of the main reasons why I like 1/35 is because I also build armor. So I can keep scale consistency between my helicopters and targets...errr...tanks/AFV's and soft skins :D . Right now 1/48 modern armor just doesn't have near the selection that I can get in 1/35. 1/72 armor just has never really interested me for many reasons.

:cheers:

for 30 years I loved deeply 1/72, variety and size, however my view can not continue to enjoy, so I tried the scales 48 and 35 and loved the 35, certainly there is the same variety,, but started again my collection, so I hope I reach har news while I've got it!

coolio.gif

My prefered is 1/35 and my stash is mainly in 1/48...There is a discution on LSP where people say it depends in fact from the helicopter itself : if you see it more placed with a F/A-18 as rescue helicopter, they will prefer 1/32. OK, these guys build mainly in 1/32.

Do not forget that armour fans are often interested in helicopters too, and see them as support vehicules, troop carriers, etc...and are probably a good part of the 1/35 helicopter market. Than 1/48 is great too and for us french people, there is a huge collection of vehicules at that scale.

Then 1/72 is great too for large collections and we regulary see beauties at that scale too.

Norbert

Thank you guys for taking the time to comment & vote. It seems as though the 1/48 crowd hold a small majority but not by that much. It also seems like there is a fairly even split between those that like to stick to a constant scale ( this is me) and those that will vary scale to suit the desired subject.

Whatever your reasons it would be nice to think that some of the neglected subjects be produced in the popular scales in the future - but that may be wishful thinking.

I wish I had the spare cash to do it myself.