a new 1/48 Phantom is always a must have for me! can't wait to see it available somewhere! they seems they got the stabs right, at least the slots braces are facing toward the right direction, also the a/c intakes looks ok... i'd love to buy a kit i wouldn't have to (feel the need) buy too much resin bits...

BTW, thanks Vince for the head-up/link70.gif

Edited by mingwin

Saw it today... Looks really nice and not over engineered. They say out by Nov Dec. Now since I am no rivet counter nor an F-4 expert I can't say anything other than I like it and will be happier if they keep the parts count down...if so it will be added to my want list...and mostly just hope its not too expensive...

Surprised anyone hasn't said anything about this yet.test shots

Actually, the Tomcat is the queen of the party. The F-4 kit looks good, want to know more about it, specially about the surface deatil. Anyway, I find the "Do Not Touch" sign oversized!! :lol:

Thanks for the link.

Edited by I.Martin

Just saw the MSRP for the Tomcat, really?

You can buy it right now on preorder for less then $90 shipped. Odds are even once its released it will be had for under $100 shipped. Sweet looking kit though and will be the best F-14A in 1/48 no doubt :thumbsup:.

Exiting time to be modelers with so many awesome kits being released between now and early 2017 :woot.gif: .

:cheers:

You can buy it right now on preorder for less then $90 shipped. Odds are even once its released it will be had for under $100 shipped. Sweet looking kit though and will be the best F-14A in 1/48 no doubt :thumbsup:/>.

Exiting time to be modelers with so many awesome kits being released between now and early 2017 :woot.gif:/> .

:cheers:/>

Word.

Looks good. But for my taste the rear seat looks a bit too low. Same problem as any other F4 kit I know. The rear cockpit usually sits too low and therefore the rear ip does not come up high enough into the center canopy frame. Nothing which couldn't be fixed though, except for the strange looking pitot tube.... :lol:/>/>

Scout

I'm still unsure about the Sgt Fletcher tanks - to me they look as if they get a bit wider towards the front. In the shot of the completed model it's definitely exaggerated by the perspective, but I think I also see it in the sprue shot. It could be an optical illusion though.

The tail and the stabilators look extremely good, although I kind of expected a positionable assembly as well. It is NOT a case of a simple mounting pin pivot though - the whole stabilator mount needs to be a separate part which rotates around an axis higher up than the stab mounting point. Perhaps a case for aftermarket :hmmm::coolio:

Jeffrey

I'm still unsure about the Sgt Fletcher tanks - to me they look as if they get a bit wider towards the front. In the shot of the completed model it's definitely exaggerated by the perspective, but I think I also see it in the sprue shot.

Yes, they definitely look off...

What sets this kit apart from the Hasegawa and Academy kit?

Good thread here that explains a lot...sadly it got locked:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=292870

Most current thread with up to date build pictures...as of yet not locked :D :

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=294282

HTH

:cheers:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=292870

Most current thread with up to date build pictures...as of yet not locked :D/> :

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=294282

HTH

:cheers:/>

Unless I missed something I'm talking about the F-4 not F-14....

So... the Zoukei Mura Phantom is better than the Hasegawa or Academy Phantoms... because Tamiya Tomcat?

Not quite sure I follow...

What sets this kit apart from the Hasegawa and Academy kit?

Well it's 30 years newer than the Hasegawa kit, so there *should* be some improvements in engineering, draft angles, detail, etc. Hasegawa's early Phantom versions (B/N, C/D) are raised panel line, too. If they end up doing the WHOLE family, it probably won't make the Hasegawa kit obsolete, but it might become the preferable choice, all things being equal. (at the very least, it comes with ordnance, if that's an issue for you)

Vs. Academy? There are a couple of nits with the Academy kit that ZM might improve upon, but it will be a much closer competition. My guess is, it'll be a bit like the Zvezda vs. Trumpeter MiG-29s - each has its pluses and minuses, but they're both pretty decent kits. Probably the biggest benefit of the ZM kit is that ZM tend to do a bunch of detail sets for their kits, so it will be interesting to see what else follows. They'll probably do some nice figures, or a cockpit, or a separate engine, or some electronics bays. Also, if ZM cover the later-mark Phantoms before Academy do (E/F/G/K/M/S), then obviously there would be a benefit in having a modern tooling for, say, a long-nosed Phantom.

TL;DR: It should be 'nicer' than Hasegawa's, because the state of the art has changed over the past 30 years. It will probably be at a similar level to Academy though.

LOL...my bad all :doh:. Was doing something else while thinking of something else and keeping my eyes on yet another thing. A 1000 apologies :wave:

No harm no foul... :cheers:

The one thing I immediately checked out was the ejection seat handles. ZM's look great (thin loop). Academy's, like Hasegawa's, is on the thicker side. In fact, Academy's look worse than Hase's.

In the short nose Phantoms, my only interest is a Delta. If ZM came out with a D (a big if), I would probably go with that. But as it stands, Academy seems to be the only good option.

Incidentally, am I correct that it takes a major surgery to convert a J into a D? The differences I think are: cockpit, engines, chin pods, refueling probe vs boom door, slatted stabs, slats. I think the thicker wheels, and the wing bulge are common. Are there other differences? A quick and dirty list would be most useful. Just curious if it's worth considering a ZM J to D, or just go with the Academy kit.

I asked via Detail & Scale's Facebook page (where photos of the kit were shared) if ZM is going to produce other variants. The response was yes, based on the versions that their customers request.

I don't know if anyone from ZM watches this forum, so before we start posting our personal preferences here, it's probably best to contact ZM directly:

Facebook

Email

The one thing I immediately checked out was the ejection seat handles. ZM's look great (thin loop). Academy's, like Hasegawa's, is on the thicker side. In fact, Academy's look worse than Hase's.

In the short nose Phantoms, my only interest is a Delta. If ZM came out with a D (a big if), I would probably go with that. But as it stands, Academy seems to be the only good option.

Incidentally, am I correct that it takes a major surgery to convert a J into a D? The differences I think are: cockpit, engines, chin pods, refueling probe vs boom door, slatted stabs, slats. I think the thicker wheels, and the wing bulge are common. Are there other differences? A quick and dirty list would be most useful. Just curious if it's worth considering a ZM J to D, or just go with the Academy kit.

I looked at some pics of it taken at the Nat's, but never figured out which Phantom it is (Like a "B" or a "C"). I only have two 1/48th Phantoms, and both are Hasegawa. Yes they have some minor issues (for me), but still look the part quite well. I kinda hoping they do their Phantom in 1/32 and 1/72. Anyway, I'm with you in that I want a "C" and a "D".

gary

I loved the Hasegawa F-4s back in the day, but the two things I never liked (apart from the original releases having raised panel lines and undersized stabilators, revised in later editions) was the lack of inlet trunking and compressor faces + the skinny spine.

Z-M may pull me further from 1/32 to 1/48 if the shape and inlets are markedly better. I love the optional closed-in-one and separate-for-open canopy parts. Allows for a cleaner finish whilst also providing very useful spares if you're on a series binge.

T