What's the price of gas where you live?

With the price of gas going up and up. I'd like to know what the price is where fellow ARC members are. I noticed, well in Canada atleast, when the airlines start yappng about fuel price, the markets lower the price. However, at the pumps it remains high. Right now here the gas price is $1.33 per litre. It will go up on July 1 not because of the markets but because our leaders place a carbon tax on us which goes up every July 1st. :wub:

Something like €1.60, €1.62 per litre regular 95 octane here. Beat that! :wub:

(That's $2.19 in Canadian money, btw)

Edited by Pete

If I shop smart, I am paying ~ $3.40/gal. I can live with that, I have a pretty easy commute to work. However, I am down to 1/4 tank of fuel oil and need to place an order pretty soon. That is going to hurt.

On the plus side, the oil companies all seem to be making good profits these days.

Here's the thing: oil is a finite resource. As more and more people all over the world use more and more of it, the price *is* going to continue to go up, and probably faster than it has before. China is using oil much faster than they were even three or five years ago. Most of the US seems ignorant of the whole idea that you don't *need* a gigantic SUV to cart your kids to soccer practice, so we keep using more and more too. I think it's a situation where you'd better get used to it, 'cause it's as good as it's gonna be in your lifetime right this very day.

J

PS: The local price is kind of irrelevant. Every locale has totally different pricing, taxes, etc. It's really apples vs. oranges. In places where fuel is extremely expensive by the standards of another place, other factors come into play, like relative income, distances between places, etc, etc, etc.

Edited by Jennings
... Most of the US seems ignorant of the whole idea that you don't *need* a gigantic SUV to cart your kids to soccer practice, so we keep using more and more too.

:whistle: OH Geez, here we go again. To be technical, you don't NEED a car at all, or a computer, or plastic models or anything made with any petroleum products or... or... or....but of course it's those evil SUV's that's depleteing the oil and destroying good ol' mother earth. I feel so guilty.

Oh yeah the question, $3.45 Gal today. It's been bouncing back and forth between $3.32 and $3.48 or so for the last month. You can all blame me cause my wife drives a CX-9. I mean there's a big sink hole made in the ground everytime we gas that thing up....yeaaaaahawwwww.

Bill

$1.24 / litre here in Ottawa. The Queen Bee just got back form Berlin and Amsterdam and said prices were 1.50 - 1.60 Euros per litre.

Having said that, people will still pay almost double that for a litre of bottled water.

but of course it's those evil SUV's that's depleteing the oil and destroying good ol' mother earth. I feel so guilty

I guess the point is, why drive something which uses more fuel and has more emmissions when there isn't a need to?

But then, I pay nearly 3x what you pay for petrol, so the efficiency argument tends to hit home harder.

But I'm on a different side of this fence to most folks on here, so I'll keep schtum.

Edited by MattC

$3.36/gal

On the plus side, the oil companies all seem to be making good profits these days.
Net profit, gross profit, or profit margin?

A steady, predictable, return is why a lot of retirement funds invest in petrol firms.

Out here in flyover farm country vehicle needs are somewhat different from urban and suburban environments.

Edited by southwestforests

$3.63/gal for 87 octane here in Northern Vermont yesterday. I think it was about a dime cheaper when we gassed up in Northampton MA on the way to Vallecon last Saturday.

With any luck I'll get the 50+mpg bike out pretty soon and park the 17mpg truck.

/he says when there's a 12 inch snow dump in the forcast for Friday...

Edited by Grey Ghost 531
I guess the point is, why drive something which uses more fuel and has more emmissions when there isn't a need to?

But then, I pay nearly 3x what you pay for petrol, so the efficiency argument tends to hit home harder.

But I'm on a different side of this fence to most folks on here, so I'll keep schtum.

Oh I understand the point, it's been sharpened SOOO many times here before in the past. But the bigger point is what is defined as "need". As I said, you don't need a car at all. I mean the kids are going to be running around and soccer practice (apparently another evil activity that is the bane of our modern society...soccer moms = evil) anyway so why not just let them walk to practice.

Also, whereas my CX-9 (which technically isn't an SUV so I'm really venting as a previous SUV owner) may take more fuel, in the long run it probably uses less pertroleum products than the current range of Chevy Volts in their lifespan. The processes to make, in some cases to operate (depending on local power plant operations) and even moreso replace such "efficient" cars at this time are just as damaging to the environment as your average car. But it feels good to slap a "green" label on something and make the world a happy place. :whistle:

I'm sorry guys, I know that's not what this thread is about and I shouldn't get so worked up about this, I'm just a little under the weather and a tad bit grumpy. Please excuse my off topic grumbling.

Bill

Bill,

I am in agreement with you on some points there, especially the "green sticker" issue, people seem to be running around telling all and sundry that electric vehicles are environmentally friendly, and that biofuels are good for the planet, neither of which are true statements.

If (and I say IF) we wanted to reduce petrol consumption around the world, we need to change the way we think about travel. I'm not making a statement about what I think we should do, but tinkering about with the fringes of the issue is lovely for a politician as it doesn't entail anything radical or unpopular.

I don't run a car because I can't afford to, but thats mainly because over 65% of what I pay for fuel is tax.

What made me laugh the other day was a bus driving past with a sign on the back claiming that;

"If you make your journey by bus, you can halve the carbon footprint of the trip"

followed by a teeny weeny proviso;

"If the bus is carrying its full compliment of passengers"

As it was, there were 3 people on the bus. Each of which therefore had a carbon footprint roughly 10x that of a car for the same journey.

With the price of gas going up and up. I'd like to know what the price is where fellow ARC members are. I noticed, well in Canada atleast, when the airlines start yappng about fuel price, the markets lower the price. However, at the pumps it remains high. Right now here the gas price is $1.33 per litre. It will go up on July 1 not because of the markets but because our leaders place a carbon tax on us which goes up every July 1st. :sunrevolves:

In Woodstock (SW Ontario) it was $1.21 a litre this morning. Knock on wood, it's been hovering there for a few days. It was $1.23 a litre a few days ago.

Scott