How many people here used to frequent Rec.Models.Scale?

Just curious who here used to be on the old usenet newsgroup rec.models.scale? That was the original meeting place for modelers on the internet way before ARC, Hyperscale and the like......

And secondly, does anyone go there now?

I was on there from about '93 till 2001or so, got tired of the flame wars and spammers, I remember the great AOL newbie flood as well. Switched over to Hyperscale after I left RMS and then came here several years later after the flaming on HS.

Ken

Dabbled with it back in 1996-97 when I was first discovering the internet (via Netscape, who remembers that?), but was never a regular.

Netscape and r.m.s....

I posted my first message on rms in.... uh... maybe it was late '95... we used old f.rts like Trumpet Winsock, Mosaic (Netscape granpa... even tried... uh... Cello if I remember correctly).

To read the newsgroup we had a program called WinVn or something like that, then switched to Free Agent...

R.M.S was a great group... then started going downhill in the late '90s... I wa there until 2002-2003 but then there were always less and less useful posts and more spam...

Tried HS for some time but it wasn't really my bag... and the ARC. It was great to find most of the people I had met on RMS here...

By the way... I remember my first post on RMS... it was a question about Sukhoi Su-15 and I got a reaply from Ken Flanker Duffey.. Wow!

It was only 15 years ago... seems a century... uh, no... a millenium!

I hung out there quite a bit when I first got online in 1997, using NetScape and a 28.8 dialup modem. I gradually segued to the various website forums..RMS got to the point where there were several hundred new posts per day, and I got tired of trying to sift through them all. I doubt I've been on RMS since '01 or '02. The last time I poked my head in a few years ago, it was about 90% SPAM.

SN

In the day it was the only modeling forum. Advancements have rendered it worthless. Why post to a forum platform that has no easy way of sharing images in such a visual hobby? It is filled with spam and hackers. In its day it was the best bulletin board as were others on different topics to communicate, but today...I never visit it anymore. Still have access through Google, but don't read nor post to it at all. Too many other better choices now available to communicate with fellow modeling geeks.

Yup, former RMS participant here, too. From something like 96 though maybe 00-01ish, until HS and ARC became the more useful venues to share info. Haven't been on RMS in years, and I still used Netscape until a couple of years ago for most general browsing and email functions. It worked for what I needed, so there was no reason to change...

Got onto it in '97 on my blazing fast 28.8 modem and was amazed at how absolutely cool it was to swap info so easily with fellow model geeks from all over the world. I know nowadays we take this all for granted but back then, it was really novel and exciting. Lots of good info and people on RMS but like everyone else, I eventually migrated to other internet sites.

Also spent a great deal of time on rec.flightsim.pc or something like that. Back when flight simulators were actually popular, that was also a great resource.

Good memories...

Just curious who here used to be on the old usenet newsgroup rec.models.scale? That was the original meeting place for modelers on the internet way before ARC, Hyperscale and the like......

Spent quite a bit of time there back in the day but as others have mentioned, newer forums have rendered it obsolete.

Now, here's another one. Who used to frequent the Plastic Model Forum on CompuServe? I was a member there before discovering RMS.

I still have old, faded printouts of info and tips from both.

Cheers,

Eric

Used to go there along with several SciFi and Monty Python rec groups. as well as the JMS B5 and a few others.

Back in the old BBS Days.

an Atari 520st and my Amiga 500

Then moved to a Dauphin DTR1 (Blazing fast 486sx 25) and a 9600 modem.

Updated to a 14.4 when I bought the DTR1.

I think this was 91-95

Back before true web browsers.

When you could spend 5 - 10 minutes downloading 5 pictures to view on a 480x640 screen

Aint been on them since my ISP canceled the Usenet service about 3 years ago.

William G

Ah, the good old r.m.s, I read and posted on it from 1995 to 2007. I learned a lot there, and I still regularly search the weekly 'dumps' I made.

Rob

You guys remember the flame wars revolving around Paolo Pizzi? Was he real, cause you (at least I) sure never hear the name anymore. :-)

Max Bryant

Yep, as well as Dave Merriman's disdain for anyone who didn't build everything from scratch and make their own photoetch parts, and whatsisname who swore up, down, and sideways that there once was a 1/72 injection-molded C-5 Galaxy that inlcuded scale, funtioning retractable landing gear...