Please help me decide on my next model

Hi Guys,

As my F-4E build nears completion in a few weeks after 14+ months of work, it's time to turn my attention towards my next project. As many of you know, I like to throw a lot of aftermarket stuff at my builds and these items often take quite a bit of time to accumulate, so I may as well get started now. Since I enjoy doing WIP threads for all the feedback, advice and "pressure" if you will, to do a good job with close-up photography, I'd like your opinion on which model should be my next victim- "Kicked up a notch", as usual, in terms of detail. I have a number of candidates in mind that I want to build one day (all 1/32 of course!), so here they are in random order with my thoughts on each one.

1) 1/32 Tamiya F-15I Ra'am. I've got the kit, the Isradecal decals (VERY hard to find) and the Wolfpack resin kit, so this would be the easiest start since I think I have everything I need.

2) 1/32 Tamiya F-15C Aggressor. I've got the kit, decals and I've taken about a hundred pics of the real deal at Nellis, so reference pics are not an issue. It would be the older blue splinter scheme, since I hate the new one.

3) 1/32 Tamiya F-16 Aggressor. Same as above (I have both block types), but I like the brown scheme for this one. My only reservation with the F-16 is that there are so many fantastic F-16 builds out there that I'm not sure I could do this one justice in comparison.

4) 1/32 Academy F-18A or F-18C Aggressor. Same as above, but I think it's way too soon to start another F-18 build since my last one was the same kit.

5) 1/32 Tamiya Spitfire Mark IX, RCAF 401 Squadron. My late father was an airframe mechanic on "Spits" during the war in this squadron, so I need to make this model sooner or later. The research and other information I would have to dig up might be fun, much like I did with my late uncle's build of his 1/48 Lancaster.

6) 1/32 Tamiya P-51D Mustang. Also sooner or later, I HAVE to have a Mustang on my shelf in new metal finish. The only negative is that I know squat about Mustang's, but I'm pretty sure I could find a lot of help here along the way. As with the F-16, there's also a ton of other fantastic P-51's out there, but I think I could do a really good NMF on this one.

7) 1/32 Trumpeter A-10 Warthog. I've got the super rare Cutting Edge cockpit and airframe kits (with engines), but Jake Melampy's new Hog book isn't due for months, which I'd really like to have for reference.

Edited by chuck540z3

I vote Hog.

Save this one

5) 1/32 Tamiya Spitfire Mark IX, RCAF 401 Squadron. My late father was an airframe mechanic on "Spits" during the war in this squadron, so I need to make this model sooner or later. The research and other information I would have to dig up might be fun, much like I did with my late uncle's build of his 1/48 Lancaster.

For the upcoming Living History GB!

Chuck,

I think you're actually the one putting "pressure" on the rest of us 1/32 builders everytime you post a WIP update. :)

I voted for the F-15 Aggressor because I don't think I've seen the blue splinter jet built yet.

BTW, have you consider building non-US jets?

Cheers,

Terry

Thanks so much for the feedback Guys! Right now I'm sort of leaning towards the P-51, because as as TOPGUN and Brian suggested, it might be a nice break from jets and I'm keen to try the new NMF skills I learned on my F-4E.

Still, I have all these pics to use and they are still calling me! (Feel free to copy/paste)

F-15C Aggressor

F-16 Aggressors

But then again, I'd also love to build a Spitfire in my father's RCAF markings- and it can be dirty too, unlike the Aggressors! I also think I need to wait for Jake's new Hog book before I attempt this beast.

Edited by chuck540z3

Chuck,

I think you're actually the one putting "pressure" on the rest of us 1/32 builders everytime you post a WIP update. :)

I voted for the F-15 Aggressor because I don't think I've seen the blue splinter jet built yet.

BTW, have you consider building non-US jets?

Cheers,

Terry

Heck no, your builds put pressure on me!

Although I love the Sukhoi fighters and maybe even the Mig-29, I'm not quite ready for that stuff yet because I want to build the other models mentioned first.

Edited by chuck540z3

I picked the A-10, there is reference material for it available while you wait for Jake's book to come out. Some late additions to your list could be Trumpeter's 1/32 TBM Avenger, maybe in RCN markings or the F-8 Crusader. Since Tamiya came out with their P-51 i think may be a flood of Mustangs out there, especially if you plan to enter your next project in a contest.

Jari

I voted for the A-10. You really don't see too many of them being built these days. Also, if you contacted Jmel about references like Scott Wilson has done in your F-4 build, he might be willing to help you out. So, I naturally chose the Hog.

RYAN.

Edited by caudleryan

I know it's not on your list but I really like the way you did that SEA cammo. So..... my personal pick would be a 1/32 A-1J Spad in Vietnam-era colors. That way you can really work your magic with weathering the SEA scheme.

Not sure that one is even out yet but with the Navy version released, it should be a pretty easy conversion.

Just my $0.02.

I know it's not on your list but I really like the way you did that SEA cammo. So..... my personal pick would be a 1/32 A-1J Spad in Vietnam-era colors. That way you can really work your magic with weathering the SEA scheme.

Not sure that one is even out yet but with the Navy version released, it should be a pretty easy conversion.

Just my $0.02.

Sorry to be a pain Chuck :D but how about a Trumpeter 1/32 F-105D backed dated to early NMF scheme. Or if you want to go props, a Revell 1/32 He-111 or Ju-88?

Jari

Aaaaaaaaaah! I'm so confused now!!!!! :unsure: I've also got a "Dambuster" Lancaster in the stash calling out to me!

While those choices are appealing, I need a Hog and a Mustang first, so here's how I'm leaning right now.

Notwithstanding Jake's request that I build an A-10C, I have the older Cutting Edge cockpit which is really nice (and $$$$), so I'm sort of stuck on the A-10A version.....

01.jpg

I also have the airframe update set and some rare Cutting Edge decals....

01.jpg

However, I think I really NEED Jake's new book before I start this project, which will likely take me a year or more to build (as usual), so I'm thinking of doing the P-51D for the next 6 months or so while I wait for the book. I just ordered these P-51D decals from Zotz, because I really like the "Thunderbird" version of P-51D-10-NA, 44-14570 flown by Capt. Ted E Lines, of the 335th FS 4th FG...

http://www.zotzdecals.com/reviews/Zotz32042/zotz32042.htm

I realize that there are a zillion Mustang builds going on right now, but I don't have one- yet!

Edited by chuck540z3