"High Flight"

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth

And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Sunward I’ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth

of sun-split clouds,  and done a hundred things

You have not dreamed of  wheeled and soared and swung

High in the sunlit silence. Hov’ring there,

I’ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung

My eager craft through footless halls of air....

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue

I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace.

Where never lark, or even eagle flew â€â€

And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod

The high untrespassed sanctity of space,

- Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

RIP Mr. Armstrong. :salute:

fighter pilot then test pilot then to go on to the greatest adventure anyone can imagine. Truly one of the great Reluctant hero of our generation has ever seen and never will see the like of again. RIP Mr Armstrong you lived a good life, one most of us can only dream of.

Godspeed on your next Giant Leap, Neil.

The Apollo 11 landing is the first world event I have any memory of (I was five.) Being raised on Star Trek and Lost In Space, my brother and I really didn't quite grasp how incredible the achievement was at the time.

If you get the opportunity, I heartily recommend a visit to the Neil Armstrong Museum in his hometown of Wapakoneta, Ohio.

SN

This news has me stunned.

As Real Space is my main interest in this hobby, I've read as much as I can about the Apollo missions and the astronauts. And I think of these guys as being in their 30's ... as being forever young ... I just expect them to go on ... and on ... and on.

When they landed on the moon, I sat in front of our black and white TV, on that hot July afternoon, with my Revell models, ab-so-lute-ly entralled! ... and Excited!

What ... an ... achievement!

I've done one Lunar Module per mission, and one as Apollo 11 ... due to its complexity, it's special to me. And now, it's that much more special.

LMCutaway-doneFront.jpg

Godspeed Mr Armstrong ... and thank you!

Pete

Its a shame. Most people under the age of 30 don't know who he is. As a matter of fact, there are some idiots who think it was all faked!! :rolleyes: I remember watching the live moon landing in the summer of '69. Its gonna be a long time before the world sees heroes like that again. :(

So long Neil :salute:

Edited by mike_espo

Hey Mr. Moderators. How `bout you guy`s create a special smiley icon for this guy! "milestone smiley" "reaching for the stars"or something of that nature...now wouldn`t that just be what this guy deserves from us?