Great Wall Hobby 1/48 MiG-29 all new tooled

Just saw over at Cybermodeller, price is $89.95!! That's friggin ridiculous sorry I ain't gonna pay that much.

MSRP =/= Real price. Atleast if you buy smart. Take a look at MSRP for this P-61 for example:

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/gwh/kit_gwh_4806.shtml

96 USD! *Starts running in circles* :tongue-in-cheek: Real price however, 61:

http://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/skduzgezgcphuy8ta43s.html?t=1348818096

From there it is easy to calculate roughly the price MiG-29 will be....

MSRP =/= Real price. Atleast if you buy smart. Take a look at MSRP for this P-61 for example:

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/gwh/kit_gwh_4806.shtml

96 USD! *Starts running in circles* :tongue-in-cheek: Real price however, 61:

http://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/skduzgezgcphuy8ta43s.html?t=1348818096

From there it is easy to calculate roughly the price MiG-29 will be....

BTW the MSRP on the P-61 kits are $105!! Yes Hobby Easy et al do have great price but shipping to the states can off set those prices with shipping is up to 33% of the kits price. However I must admit some of the shipping options at hobby easy aren't that bad :-)

Please understand I mean NO disrespect to GWH!!! They have the right to charge whatever they want and whatever they think the market will bear. I wish them all the luck! Just when I saw that MSRP I was a bit shocked, and expressed my opinion.

P.S. I will repeat my self from another thread if you all will bear with me :) How is Hobbyeasy to deal with?? how is there shipping speed and all the good stuff? Thanks in advance!!

Please understand I mean NO disrespect to GWH!!! They have the right to charge whatever they want and whatever they think the market will bear. I wish them all the luck! Just when I saw that MSRP I was a bit shocked, and expressed my opinion.

The MSRP published on Cybermodeler is given by DML USA, not GWH. If you don't want to pay the distributor (... but HK Post instead :) ), order from China.

The MSRP published on Cybermodeler is given by DML USA, not GWH. If you don't want to pay the distributor (... but HK Post instead :) ), order from China.

Again I'm led to wonder why anyone with access to a credit card or paypal WOULDN'T order it from the far east? As I never tire of saying "It's a global market people, use it!"

Besides, imho, this is static models, not some diecasts with moveable parts.

Agreed. That's sounds like a toy-like feature where you'd have to open the engine nacelles or something to be able to remove them. But, they did say that the engines are undersized anyway; I wonder how much exactly? 5%, 10%, 25%?

R-77 wasn't used on 9.13. It could be used on 9.14, but that was never put in production. So this smells like SMT or something even more evolved...

Yes, but it was supported on the 9.13S variant, though they say less then 50 were built and I presume some if not most of those were exported. Supposedly, the Russians sold most if not all of their R-77 stocks built before the Soviet Union collapsed (around 200?) to India?

Yes, but it was supported on the 9.13S variant, though they say less then 50 were built and I presume some if not most of those were exported. Supposedly, the Russians sold most if not all of their R-77 stocks built before the Soviet Union collapsed (around 200?) to India?

Yeah, i did have figures somewhere, but iirc, not all were sold to India, but most of them. And yes, around 200 were built.

$89.95 seem just about right to me, plus it right in line with the current MSRP of the Hasy 1/48 Tomcats and Hornets, as well as other recent fast jet kits... (including the Eduard profipak Mig29 and Su27) If the kit is a nice as the CAD drawings and test shots suggests, I think were in for a treat.

For a brand new 1:48 Mig-29, $89.95 sounds reasonable on the cheap side, since this is a very risky project from a business perspective. The Mig-29 is a Russian subject which is not a very popular choice for the amateur modeler, and there is already the Academy 1:48 Mig-29 out there. I assumed the new GWH kit is aimed for the niche market, for mature modelers who appreciate the accuracy of Russian subjects over price. It saves you money from buying the correction nose cone, exhaust, missiles, wheels etc, and gives you an accurate, detailed representation of the Mig-29. The build is easier too which saves me precious time to assemble a model with so many other things going on.

i don't agree with you, my experience shows me that HK post was one of the cheapest/reliable post service in the world... (in opposite, Colissimo from France was the most outrageously expensive postal service i ever experienced)

every time i do the addition of HK prices +HK shipping, it's way cheaper than any US or Euro retailer prices!

and also never experienced any fuss with HK post ever, from AIR or Surface, i've try them all.

plus, i've always have a great service from HK based retailler.

also, by the way, HK is not China, not in the real world... try buy from China mainland (china post) and you'll find out it is very expensive shipping (i did for Haneto's canopies)

Edited by mingwin

Please read again my post. I've never said that HK PS is lousy.

i never pretend you said they where lousy... i said that you pretend that you'll pay HK post instead of your local distributor.

which is not true, as your local distributor mostly charge way more than what its worth...

I pretend, that most of the time, HK post, will cost you half, of what your local distributor will charge you... (for HK or Chinese goods)

i never pretend you said they where lousy... i said that you pretend that you'll pay HK post instead of your local distributor.

which is not true, as your local distributor mostly charge way more than what its worth...

Exactly. You pay (less) HK PS instead of paying (more) the distributor for the same service (well not really: either you have to go to your favorite shop or you have to pay again for national shipment). Anyway. In general, whenever I want a product from country A, I buy directly from country A: kits, books, whatever.

So I have two questions for you guys who are in the know.

First of all: Can this version be built from the GWH kit?

_dsc3549.jpg

Second: Are those markings available as decals somewhere?

As for the Polish MiG-29A "commemorative scheme" decals, I gathered enough reference photos and info to make a start on drawing the artwork for those decals and fully intended to produce them, but I was informed by one of my reference providers that another company had already started making them. However that was a few months ago, shortly after RIAT and well before anyone knew that the G.W.H. kit was coming.

I do hope that those decals will really appear as otherwise I'd be disappointed for not being able to build that model AND having missed out on having a potentially well-selling product...

I(Caracal Models) just announced my "Heroes of Kosciuszko" series of two new Mig-29 sheets, which will cover these specially decorated Polish aircraft. I have been working on them for the last couple of months or so.

They will be available in early December.

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=255667

Again I'm led to wonder why anyone with access to a credit card or paypal WOULDN'T order it from the far east? As I never tire of saying "It's a global market people, use it!"

Never was a truer word said.

Funnily it's and not being insulting modellers from the States who seem to have been the slowest to pick up on this.

How many posts do you see people complaining about the prices of Asian kits in the LHS.

To many to mention.

Maybe it's that the USA is used to being self sufficient and reliant providing in the past quite well for there own.

I'm not sure what the reluctance is to switch to buying from the horses mouth and saving LOTS of money.

I have one EBay trader who offers outstanding service from China and even after shipping prices 30/40% less than Australian retail including shipping which means 50% off US prices as we get our Asian stuff generally better than the States excepting Japan.

Many Aussie shops charge outrageous retail prices in line with US prices seemingly in complete oblivion to the internet.

As someone else said don't bother with non Japanese manufacturers at places like 1999 and HLJ the import taxes mean its way cheaper from H k and China. Likewise Revell is extremely expensive in Japan.

If you look around you can pay almost half price and shipping is very reasonable.

Use the global market to your advantage rather than being ripped off by importers gouging the market who still seem reluctant to buy direct.

Never was a truer word said.

Funnily it's and not being insulting modellers from the States who seem to have been the slowest to pick up on this.

How many posts do you see people complaining about the prices of Asian kits in the LHS.

To many to mention.

Maybe it's that the USA is used to being self sufficient and reliant providing in the past quite well for there own.

I'm not sure what the reluctance is to switch to buying from the horses mouth and saving LOTS of money.

I have one EBay trader who offers outstanding service from China and even after shipping prices 30/40% less than Australian retail including shipping which means 50% off US prices as we get our Asian stuff generally better than the States excepting Japan.

Many Aussie shops charge outrageous retail prices in line with US prices seemingly in complete oblivion to the internet.

As someone else said don't bother with non Japanese manufacturers at places like 1999 and HLJ the import taxes mean its way cheaper from H k and China. Likewise Revell is extremely expensive in Japan.

If you look around you can pay almost half price and shipping is very reasonable.

Use the global market to your advantage rather than being ripped off by importers gouging the market who still seem reluctant to buy direct.

Agreed... plenty of internet options out there. I've had zero issues purchasing direct from Chinese, Japanese, Russian, etc suppliers, including some very small outfits.

It's always good to support your local hobby shop but if you can't handle the costs, you do have other options.

Agreed... plenty of internet options out there. I've had zero issues purchasing direct from Chinese, Japanese, Russian, etc suppliers, including some very small outfits.

It's always good to support your local hobby shop but if you can't handle the costs, you do have other options.

I haven't had a local hobby shop for twenty years anyway, so the only way to buy most things os through mail order. FOr 5-6 years after my local closed I would telephone my orders from a very few retailers (Hannants, E.D. models etc). Back in 1997 or so I first used HLJ to order online (including having to phone a Japanese number to provide my credit card as at that time Japanese law prevented CC details being passed online!) and since then have moved to exclusively online as the market has been revolutionised. Interestingly the only confirmed issue from online ordering has been the unpleasantness with the Big H a couple years ago, so it was a local (relatively speaking!) issue.

These days the ease of shopping from abroad online means that it only really registers that I'm ordering from source in discussions like these! Otherwise they are just my retailer, and location means nothing. People say "what happens if your local importer goes out of business?". . the answer is, to me, nothing, as I don't use them anyway.

That said US residents do seem to suffer more than many countries from importer's markups. The kinds of prices I see from Stevens in the US make my mind boggle! I couldn't conceive pf paying what hey ask for Trumpeter kits when it takes me exactly the same time and procedure to order it from the far east!

IMHO, buying Chinese manufacturers' product through Japan based retailer is a bit foolish. The price is already inflated by a few fees and taxes and there is always shipping charge.

Agreed,much easier to go to Luckymodel or hobbyeasy.As Drewe said its a global market.

Hi delide.

Pretty harsh for a first post on ARC. It seems to me that the demonstration you're trying to do isn't too convincing.

- http://smg.photobuck...zps15d1ffeb.jpg isn't quite sharp and pitch may not be the same

- http://smg.photobuck...zps1f7ac88b.jpg isn't too great: different pitch, optical distorsion (depth of field ?)

- http://smg.photobuck...zpse6001003.jpg is very poor: look how the front of the intake looks like... very different roll

Believe me I know how it's difficult finding the proper photograph to demonstrate a point (shape and proportion accuracy are important to me). Yaw, pitch, roll of the subject, optical distortions need to match. Perhaps you could outline the subjects and overlay them ? The windshield angle may be slightly off but I doubt that the photos you kindly provide can show that the angle is 5° off.

I've looked at other photos and I agree with Delide on both points: The lack of bulging at the rear of of the real canopy is more obvious in other photos. The too steep kit windscreen angle is visible in the same way in all photos.

Both errors however are probably within what could be cut/sanded/scrapped/polished away...

Robertson

Sorry for being silent for a while, mates.

Busy with other things with Fulcrum such as decals, packages together with my own daily work and family service. :wacko:

Anyway, here comes the good news that formal production sprues arrived today.

I think you guys must want to see the "details" at first, right?

Now it's time to show you! :banana:

Still want your old Fulcrum kits with tons of hard-to-deal resin stuff?

Your out of date buddy! :coolio:

Here we go! (with my narations, sorry. :rofl: )

And sorry for my poor camera, an old I am a spammer, please report this post. D5000.

First comes the legendary, also the most deadly Russian AA missile,the R-73 a.k.a. AA-11 "Archer"

There will be 4 photo-etched little fins to be attached at the buldges on the nose.

03.jpg

04.jpg

And don't miss the big R-27 AA-10 "Alamo" family.

All of them are hole-drilling free, yes!

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

And the most advanced R-77...sorry, a little teaser here.

Pls check it yourself in the kits on the shelves. :wub:

Edited by haneto