Pirates attack US Navy frigate, with predictable results

obviously there was little communication between pirates since their last encounter with the USN......Here we go again, it's Navy 2 Pirates 0. They're lucky some sharpshooters didn't pick'em off at about 500 yds. A little pre-emptive caution. Wonder how long it took that skiff to sink. 30 secs or less.

At what point, after they fired their first rounds, did the pirates sphincters suddenly clamp shut, with the realization that the situation had just gone way, way south.

damn these guys make johnny depp look like a smart pirate...

you'd think as soon as they saw a grey ship by now they'd know not to go after it. kinda reminds me of the scene in the john lovitz movie high school high "its called a book, and it opens like this....wow"

I'm waiting for the Navy to resurrect the idea of a q-ship to take out some of the pirates. Take a fast, relatively light freighter or yacht and fit it out with a big gun, some .50 cals and a Seal team. Park her off the coast of Somalia and let the situation resolve itself.

Maybe these pirates should invest a couple of their hard-earned blackmailed dollars into a copy of this book:

0004722116.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Or at least follow one simple, golden rule:

DON'T ATTACK GREY SHIPS! :thumbsup:

:woo:

Or at least follow one simple, golden rule:

DON'T ATTACK GREY SHIPS! :jaw-dropping:

:lol:

Now I think the next step in 'Having Fun with Pirates' would be to convince all the shipping companies to paint their ships grey!!

Yea, doesn't seem to be an abundance of IQ points with those guys. Now I have to go search YouTube to see if I can find a shot of those FFG7 class 76 mm guns in rapid fire! I can just imagine their surprise when the Simpson turns to unmask her gun...

Or, wonder if they might of said, I wonder what a Phalanx will do to one of those pirate skiffs!

Smart pirates, indeed... but maybe they didn't want to fire at the frigate, they probably planned to ram it :thumbsup:

Note for pirates: a grey ship with a big mast in the middle, a helipad on the stern, guns here and there and no sign of a single container, usually IS NOT A CARGO SHIP.

Think they should be charged for stupidity more than for piracy...

Well, if they are going to attack a frigate, that class would be the one to attack. It is not very well armed or armored. Nice looking though. Having a helo det helps FIG 7's alot. If I were a Perry class captain, I would not want to square off against, say,a Kashin, which is also classified as an FFG, but is a much more robust vessel.

Well, if they are going to attack a frigate, that class would be the one to attack. It is not very well armed or armored. Nice looking though. Having a helo det helps FIG 7's alot. If I were a Perry class captain, I would not want to square off against, say,a Kashin, which is also classified as an FFG, but is a much more robust vessel.

How well equipped are the helo dets' situated to deal with ASM? Do they have Penguin missiles or something else they carry? Or are they just over-the-horizon pointers for the frigates missiles?

How well equipped are the helo dets' situated to deal with ASM? Do they have Penguin missiles or something else they carry? Or are they just over-the-horizon pointers for the frigates missiles?

I was making a general "situational awareness" comment. Indigenous air assets of any sort are priceless, IMO. I don't know what the current helo armament is. I know at one point there were some tests with the Penguin. If they aren't equipped with it or something similar, they should be.

I don't understand why we put up with this pirate situation, spending millions of dollars patrolling this area instead of taking strong action. They should put out the word that any vessel identified as a pirate will be blown from the water on sight, and then do so. Survivors should be tried and hanged if guilty. That's how you handle pirates. They should identify who is financing the pirate activity, offer a large reward for their capture and then hang them too when caught. Too me piracy on the high seas is something which deserves a special set of laws, otherwise it's only going to get worse.

We need another man like Marine Lt. Presley O'Bannon. US Navy and the Barbary Pirates

480px-PresleyOBannon.jpg

I was making a general "situational awareness" comment. Indigenous air assets of any sort are priceless, IMO. I don't know what the current helo armament is. I know at one point there were some tests with the Penguin. If they aren't equipped with it or something similar, they should be.

Hellfires. Penguins are too large and inefficient for a helo (I know they were tested as the AGM-119). USN has started arming the SH-60 family with a navalized version of the Hellfire.

Jon

Edited by Cobrahistorian