1/48 Su-33 Sea Flanker

The decals will be printed by Cartograf.

:cheers:/>

I would like to understand why all kits manufacturers focus only Cartograf to print your decals. I have unpleasant experiences with Cartograf decals, all those always turn yellow over time.

I have several old assembled kits and others still in the boxes with useless Cartograf decals. :(

I would like to understand why all kits manufacturers focus only Cartograf to print your decals. I have unpleasant experiences with Cartograf decals, all those always turn yellow over time.

I have several old assembled kits and others still in the boxes with useless Cartograf decals. :(/>/>

My experience has been the complete opposite. I'm from Asia and because of the humid weather and constant rain, decals from several manufacturers ( eg Tamiya, Hasegawa, Begemont ) tend to yellow quite quickly. I can only slow down the yellowing by placing them in zip-lock bags and placing them next to those oxygen absorbers that you find in food packages.

Cartograf ( and to a lesser degree, the newer Microscale/Superscale decals) are the only ones that can withstand the humidity and outlast the others. I have yet to have Cartograf decals turn yellow. I will admit, however, that some of the older Cartograf decals have a bit of "mold" on the decal surface if I have been keeping them for about 10 years. But the mold can easily be wiped off and the decal colour is still bright....unlike yellowed decals which seem to be a complete discoloration and will involve several days of "sunning" to get the yellow out ( and even then it's never fully "un-yellowed" )

Sorry for thread sidetrack.

Sorry if already asked, but will there be also a Chinese J-15 ??? IMO it's highly likely that in the end even more J-15 will be build than real Su-33 it would be a nice option.

Deino

Schemes_1_sm_zpsb147c009.jpg

Great progress Chris - love the artwork.

What colours are you recommending to match ???

The reason I ask is that I am currently building Zvezda's new Su-27SM in the new bright blue colour scheme - and the colours match the two blues on your Su-33.

Cheers

Ken

What colours are you recommending to match ???

I'm not certain how the colors will be called out on the kit instructions, whether they will be FS numbers or specify model paint colors.

For these color charts I've been picking my own colors in Photoshop for each scheme. The schemes posted here are small, but if you look closely each is slightly different.

Personally, I usually mix my own colors for my builds, something I'd recommend everybody at least try. Yes, model paints are expensive but when you consider how much we spend on kits, aftermarket, decals, etc., even if you screw up mixing and spend a little more for paints, the end result is worth it.

I'd give my recommendations for the scheme you are doing, but I've been out of the building/painting game for so long now that I don't have any idea what's available out there. My only worry with using something like the Akan colors is that if I don't like the color do they have something I can mix with it to get the color I want. In this case you might need to add some brighter blues.

Here's another scheme:

Schemes_2_sm_zpsb7c4859e.jpg

:cheers:

Edited by Zactoman

You do not know how excited I am to see this kit being finally produced! I have been waiting for years for a 1/48 scale kit to be done, I love these planes and I cannot wait to get my hands on the kit.

Whoah! Seems someone has missed something veery important.

That someone is me and the important thing is this thread - and the awesome kit that has been announced here. Wow, some seriously great work Zacto et al.! Great corrections as well. This is exactly how accurate kits should be developed -always! Naturally this ain't my scale, but the Eduard Fishbed already got me thinking. This gets me thinking even more! Give me that (purely speculated) Su-34 and I might be all over it!

Once again, GREAT work! This thread made my day. Now that I finally noticed its existence!

Yes, I understand that it's too late, modifying that part would probably require changes to other parts directly related. As you said, the error is not that big anyway and detail-wise the part looks excellent.

But how about skin panel lines and access panels, are they willing to make some corrections? Please study the examples below.

04_zps7ea7b6b5.jpg

05_zpse68b53c4.jpg

youre comparing apples to oranges. a picture shot of a surface at an angle is just not reliable to use here.... the lerx is at a hugely shallow angle........ so its going to distaort the shape at this angle

Do you have an idea what this kit might cost?
...is there a release date yet?

No news yet...

I'll post the details as soon as I know!

Whoah! Seems someone has missed something veery important.

That someone is me and the important thing is this thread - and the awesome kit that has been announced here. Wow, some seriously great work Zacto et al.! Great corrections as well. This is exactly how accurate kits should be developed -always! Naturally this ain't my scale, but the Eduard Fishbed already got me thinking. This gets me thinking even more! Give me that (purely speculated) Su-34 and I might be all over it!

Once again, GREAT work! This thread made my day. Now that I finally noticed its existence!

Welcome aboard! :beer4:

Happy to hear that you like what you've seen so far!

More good stuff to come... :clap2:

youre comparing apples to oranges. a picture shot of a surface at an angle is just not reliable to use here.... the lerx is at a hugely shallow angle........ so its going to distaort the shape at this angle

A whole bunch of changes were made to the 3D model, including many that weren't pointed out on this or other forums. Of course there will be a few minor details that may have been missed, but I think everyone will be quite pleased with the plastic when it's released.

It's now in the hands of the tool-makers. There have been a few complaints about it being too intricate and detailed, but I have full confidence that they will do a great job with it.

:cheers:

A whole bunch of changes were made to the 3D model, including many that weren't pointed out on this or other forums. Of course there will be a few minor details that may have been missed, but I think everyone will be quite pleased with the plastic when it's released.

It's now in the hands of the tool-makers. There have been a few complaints about it being too intricate and detailed, but I have full confidence that they will do a great job with it.

:cheers:/>

Thanks for the update Chris! Super excited about this release.

• 1 month later...

Yes, I understand that it's too late, modifying that part would probably require changes to other parts directly related. As you said, the error is not that big anyway and detail-wise the part looks excellent.

But how about skin panel lines and access panels, are they willing to make some corrections? Please study the examples below.

04_zps7ea7b6b5.jpg

05_zpse68b53c4.jpg

Do you happen to have a comprehensive list of inaccuracies that includes no pilot on said list?

Just wondering.

What kind of weapons loadout will be included with the kit? Any chance they'll include the buddy-refuelling pod the 33 uses?

I am gonna take a chance and assume it is ok for Chris that i publish this. I could have sworn that i have seen renderings of the buddy-refuelling pod, but i cannot find them. So maybe they never existed. Otherwise things included will be:

R-27 (two types)

R-73

Kh-41

ECM pods

And all the pylons of course.