EA-18G Growler - Op.Odyssey Dawn

Hi guys!!! My name is Carmine, I'm Italian modeler.

this is my last work, the EA-18G Growler, Bu.No 166894, based at Aviano AB during Odyssey Dawn.

I started from Hasegawa kit, plus some aftermaker...And big big big thanks to my friend Patrick from Belgium for the decals!! :thumbsup:

-Aires cockpit and wheel bays

-Rhino seamless intake

-Olimp exhaust

-Quickboost ECS pipes

-Brassin AIM-120C

-Eduard exterior PE

-Northstar Model resin wheels

-Afterburner Decals / Fightertown Decals

The kit is basically an F/A-18F Block 26+ (future Hasegawa relase?), but requires some works for correct conversion to EA-18G.

New panel lines on nose (filled and rescribed), cannon vents filled on bottom fuselage, wingfold fairings without vents, etc... :485c3a61:

I tried to reproduce the texture of composite material on fuel tanks...sanding paper 320, without water B)

JHMCS sensor and arrestig hook structure, are scratchbuilded

Some correction on Afterburner Decals...when this Growler arrived to Italy, have only Battle "E" and the WSO name are "CAPT CHRIS SHAY DEPUTY" on right side and "CAPT TOM SLAYS COMMODORE" on right side.

During Odyssey Dawn, this bird received the Safety S and some repainting...the name on right side, was deleted and on left side has been changed to "CAPT CHRIS SHAY COMMODORE".

On the left side, appeared the marking kills, 3 AGM-88 shape.This is a custom decal, printed on BareMetalFoil sheet

Thanks spotters! :D

Also, some stencils have been modified.

Stencils like "WARNING STAY CLEAR GUN SCAVENGER DOOR", "GUN ELECT. SAFETY SWITCH" and "GUN HOLDBACK INDICATOR" has been removed and the liquid coolant symbol has been moved

Few maintenance stencils are Afterburner, other Fightertown (idraulc gauge, radome screw, triangle on DFIRS module...)

Ok, I've bored you :unsure: it's time for pic! :thumbsup:

WIP photos here

10952264164_76a0d765b0_b.jpg

10952335073_aebb5ca285_b.jpg

10952167396_896e04dfc6_b.jpg

10952300394_e5ffa34a81_b.jpg

10952176006_6a31a32dc8_b.jpg

10952350903_2661565452_b.jpg

10952133815_5f69321700_b.jpg

10952138395_9269cb2901_b.jpg

10952383693_3867f6ba17_b.jpg

10952120565_cbc0a002dc_b.jpg

cheers

Carmine from Italy! :)

Absolutely Incredible :woot.gif: :wub: :worship:

10952155195_f89d7175df_b.jpg

Love the texture of composite material on your drop tank. The data plate is a nice touch too :thumbsup:

Very Cool!

Steven L :wave:

Edited by FAR148

Beautiful work you've done on a beautiful a/c 271.gif !

Re; The pilot's call sign; That's probably the biggest bummer of a call sign I've ever seen w00t.gif !

I can see this scenario:

Someone asks the stud fighter jock, "What's your call sign?"

The tall, good-looking, muscular, ring-knocker, and top of his class fighter pilot says in a soft, barely audible voice, "Um....:coughs:......um......Jenny."

What a wonderful build. Thanks for sharing it. Can you tell us how you did the instrument panel screens? There is a dark purple color to them, but it does not look like it is painted, is there a layer of clear plastic card or something? If so, what is the color underneath? They look very cool.

Edited by Janissary

Outstanding !! Just a fantastic build with a equally fantastic paint scheme. And your weathering is absolutely 1st class. Everywhere I looked in your pictures, the small details were all weathered to perfection. The bottom of the fuselage with the loads out and tanks are very well weathered, especially with those brownish oily streaks.

Joel

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys!!! :cheers::worship:

Can you tell us how you did the instrument panel screens? There is a dark purple color to them, but it does not look like it is painted, is there a layer of clear plastic card or something? If so, what is the color underneath? They look very cool.

for the MFD I used an old photographic roll film ^_^

• 4 weeks later...

This is amazing work, the cockpit is outstanding. I was stationed at Aviano during OOD/OUP and worked in the 510th. The Navy parked this aircraft in one of our HAZ's and used it for a make shift fuel barn, since the real fuel barn was full. Needless to say, our guys tagged it with some inappropriate drawings and the Navy Chief wasn't happy, that will teach him to park is jet in our hangar <_< .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have this kit and decals in the stash, can not wait to start building it....as soon as i finish the 3 i have started right now haha.

Also love what you did with the film for the screens, ill be doing that little trick when i do mine. What did you use to glue it?

• 4 weeks later...