Ju 388- Planet Models 1/48 Resin

Thanks, guys! :)

On thing I should clarify is that I laminated two strips of stock together when making those inner frames. You can see it in the pics, but I just wanted to make that clear.

I do have to rescribe the panel lines at the nose (again!) that got filled in with Miliput. There's also a raised strip that with go along the canopy sides and fair things in even better. I'll have to make a pattern for that and do it with furnace tape- no biggie.

Again, I much appreciate you reading along- cheers!

chuk

• 4 weeks later...

So Chuck, how and where do you excel from this point on? No, seems like you`re just about where you need to be at...in modelling heaven! Can`t think of any manufacturers that has higher pricetag`s than Planet Models...are you a millionaire or what ;-) i have this kit (388 K/J)in 1:72 scale from special hobby and i think this is a gem of a model kit. One question Chuck...where on earth did you find that MIO-012 panel tip scriber set from Mission Models? Been wanting one all my life..will not consider anything else.

388_285.jpg

Great work as always Chuck! :thumbsup:

Here's a tip that might help you out with those pesky small and irregularly shaped windows. Rather than use masking tape for the interior of each window, which takes forever to cut properly and apply, use liquid mask instead. Here's a pic of a how it looks on a 1/48 Lancaster I built a few years ago. It worked great and there was no over-spray under the tape, because the liquid mask seals the edges perfectly....

Canopy1.jpg

Great job Chuck. I look forward to every installment.

Quick question - what to you use as the back side for your circular punches that allows you to get the tape to cut? I've tried putting the tape down on my cutting mat and just pressing with a similar set of punches that I have, but they never cleanly cut the tape into such neat little circles like you keep getting. Could you please share your secret?

Thanks

Mike

Nice going, chuck! :worship:

Was wondering about your airbrush though..

I noticed the "teeth" at the tip of the AB nozzle, how come they are filed to different lengths?

Thanks, Aigore! I carefully shaped my crown tip by dropping it a couple of times when the brush was brand new- ouch! The mis-matched points don't seem to affect the spray pattern, so I've just learned to live with it.

Thanks, Breadneck- if you read my intro post you'll see exactly how I came into possession of this nifty kit. Me, a millionaire? Not hardly, bub! ;) I got those scriber tips at The Military Shop in Long Beach back in day. It's gone now- and reports aren't very positive for Mission Models as well. :(

opies, Chuck- cheers! I'm afraid that at the rate I build, liquid mask is basically useless to me. It hardens up and is the very devil to remove. Tam ya tape, on the other hand, remains viable for months. My schedule only gives me so much time on weekends, and deadlines can keep me from the bench for weeks at a time.

My thanks, Keeto and bdt13- cheers!

Mike, I use a simple cutting matt. I press down and twist to cut the tape. It usually takes a few tries to get a usable mask.. I also have an Olfa circle cutter and a small beam-compass cutter.

9911.jpg

nt-circle-cutter.jpg

I've managed to get the frames masked off Tuesday- I had to take poor little Andi to the vet for a nasty "hot spot". She's doing fine, and I used some spare moments to get in a little prop for this weekend's paint session. Here comes the camo!

Edited by chukw
  • 3 weeks later...

Great work, as always. Question on the paint scheme - I know nothing about the -388 but I thought it was a late war aircraft and as such, did they still use 74/75/76 in that time frame? Or is your model a "what if"?

No worries either way, just curious.

Regards,

John

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, guys! Sorry to have left this post abandoned for so long- Been on vacation, etc. John, this is a whiff scheme- and late war Junkers were still getting the grey treatment. Call it a plausible scheme!

I didn't have time to make up a whole post for the Ju388, but here's a sneak peek of where she stands, The insignia are all painted on- Miracle Masks are the best! Mirable Paint Masks

299438_10151149474222906_1148223074_n.jpg

Thanks, guys! Sorry to have left this post abandoned for so long- Been on vacation, etc.

Did Pfennig approve, or was he responsible for it?

Great work as usual

Jim

Edited by JimE