What do you guys think of the Buy/Sell forum?

I see a lot of people really like to use our forum. I'd really like to thin out my stash and I am getting tired of eBay.

Perhaps my biggest disappointment with eBay is impatient buyers and the speed at which eBay/PayPal issues refunds.

Three times I have shipped kits without tracking and three times within a week a buyer has opened a case. Two have been to overseas destinations (Poland & Philippines) and the third to the US (during the Xmas rush).

Each buyer wanted the cheapest shipping (surface) and understood this could not include tracking. Canada Post did include $100.00 insurance but for me to get that Protection I required the buyers cooperation. Once they had their refund they no longer cared. They were gonzo Alonzo.

eBay could fix this by allowing a longer waiting time for packages to arrive. They should also track who is making these claims and how often they make them.

Canada Post has fixed one loop-hole, they now offer tracking on just about every form of shipment for a small increase in shipping cost.

For the record I don't feel any of my packages were lost. I no longer ship to Poland or the Philippines. The Polish guy made his claim three days after he paid, which was about 12 days after he won the auction! I wonder if eBay looks at the payment date too? Or did they think the buyer had waited 15 days already?

So what is the general consensus for the forum? Should I stickm with ebay or is the buy/sell forum better?

eBay doesn't listen nor do they provide feedback on their decisions.

To make a long story short, I'd rather buy and sell amongst a community of people I know. A group of people who know shipping between countries takes time.

I see a lot of people really like to use our forum. I'd really like to thin out my stash and I am getting tired of eBay.

Perhaps my biggest disappointment with eBay is impatient buyers and the speed at which eBay/PayPal issues refunds.

Three times I have shipped kits without tracking and three times within a week a buyer has opened a case. Two have been to overseas destinations (Poland & Philippines) and the third to the US (during the Xmas rush).

Each buyer wanted the cheapest shipping (surface) and understood this could not include tracking. Canada Post did include $100.00 insurance but for me to get that Protection I required the buyers cooperation. Once they had their refund they no longer cared. They were gonzo Alonzo.

eBay could fix this by allowing a longer waiting time for packages to arrive. They should also track who is making these claims and how often they make them.

Canada Post has fixed one loop-hole, they now offer tracking on just about every form of shipment for a small increase in shipping cost.

For the record I don't feel any of my packages were lost. I no longer ship to Poland or the Philippines. The Polish guy made his claim three days after he paid, which was about 12 days after he won the auction! I wonder if eBay looks at the payment date too? Or did they think the buyer had waited 15 days already?

So what is the general consensus for the forum? Should I stickm with ebay or is the buy/sell forum better?

eBay doesn't listen nor do they provide feedback on their decisions.

To make a long story short, I'd rather buy and sell amongst a community of people I know. A group of people who know shipping between countries takes time.

I like ARC waaay better than Ebay, and only shop EBay if its an incredible deal, but usually ARC beats Ebay anyway. I can also communicate with like minded people on ARC that is much better than Ebay. If I have a problem I PM them, problems are And I prefer our "good seller/bad seller" forum to ebay feedback as well. ARC doesn't take a cut either. :thumbsup: And you can arrange trades.

Think the only positive of eBay over forums is that on eBay, if someone wins the auction, they will usually follow through and buy it (not 100%, but more likely). On the forums, sometimes people string the seller along, saying they'll take it and then not following through with the payment, or haggling about the price of the kit or shipping after they agree to buy.

Won't do e-bay any more. Tried of the complaints like you had and being ripped off.

Trading here is the way to go. Best of course is person to person as I do all the time with Don G, Elmo and others. By post when I feel the person is trust worthy. But that of course can be hit and miss too. Letting a person become well known enough here helps.But even here nothing is 100%.......Maybe high 90s which beats the crap out of e-bay.

I prefer to use the forums here as I feel I'm dealing with fellow modelers. I had no problems with transactions (aside from the odd no show). Use the Good/Bad Trader alerts and deal with guys that have been around a while ... so far it's worked for me.

David

I too have spent and made a lot of money on here. Be smart with your transactions and do a little research on the people buying and you'll be fine.

Same goes for eBay though. I've long since stoppe selling internationally on eBay. Too many hassles.

As a whole though I've ony had two bad experiences in over ten years and 300 transactions or so on eBay.

I have done 90% of my model building and trading right here on ARC since the early 2000's My advice is to go through the bad traders forum, get to notice certain names, don't do trades/business with them. Some of the guys on the good guys board are so good, they are unreal.

Best place to build a stash or find what you are looking for, and if you can't find it, just ask, 99% of the time a member will step forward and sell you what you are looking for, and at a hell of a discount.

Ric

I have had nothing but good experiences on the buy sell forums here. I use causion when dealing with people that have recently signed up or have a "bad history". Most names you can recognize as being "one of the guys" and I have not had any problems dealing with them.

Well I have had good success on Ebay and equally good trading and buying here on ARC. Honestly I prefer to buy and trade amongst fellow modelers keeping it in the family , as it were. But sometimes not everything I need is offered in the forums , lets face it, as model builders we are also model hoarders. But I will use the forums first , and if I can not find what I seek in the forums , then I will scroll thru EBay.

I've done both. eBay is ok but buying/selling/trading here is way better to me. Feels more like family because you're doing business with like minded people. Besides, where else can you see pics of the models you've sold once they're completed.

ARC and eBay are two very different things: I'd always try here first, buying or selling -unlike eBay, you can 'trawl' for stuff here if it isn't already listed in the Buying/Selling forum, and there is no charge for listing stuff for sale!

There are some...unusual cases, shall we say? :blink: However, I've not encountered any, and the names will likely be flagged up by other members who have had difficulties.

Give it a shot -you may be glad you did!

Just be careful, the payment reversing thing, is not an Ebay thing but a Paypal thing, buyers who pay you using Paypal on this forum (unless I am mistaken but I doubt) can also ask for reverse payment for non-receipt of goods...

They are however a lot more "exposed" here than on Ebay if they do such things...

I've been about 50/50 on the forum vs. eBay. I've had things that didn't move at all on the forum that sold immediately on eBay, and vice-versa. I've never been able to figure out what the difference is. I guess it's all about timing.

For the most part, I prefer ARC for selling kits. My primary reason is that it is simpler and takes far less time than eBay. Here, you just post of list of kits and your sales criteria. I prefer PayPal for payment and insist on tracking. This has never happened to me but my understanding is that if a buyer files for reversal of payment, all you have to provide PayPal is the tracking info as proof that you shipped the item. Most buyers on ARC are prompt with payment and easy to work with. I've had a couple of buyers that will want a kit but take a couple of weeks to pay. I don't mind holding onto a kit as long as they tell me. This is my perspective and not a slam on anybody here… while I'm not expecting to make my money back, it often seems that many buyers here are looking for great deals.

I used to sell quite a bit on eBay but it takes time to photograph the kits, write up a description, and post the listing. Also, eBay gets you with fees on everything. They were taking 15-20% on what I sold, including Paypal fees. Now, I only use eBay to sell hard to find kits or rare aftermarket items. I feel that I get more money on eBay for these items.

Bottom line - I've never had a problem selling on ARC and my preference is to sell here.

Rodney

I refuse to sell on eBay since they changed the rules for sellers. It's just too risky for the average modeler that doesn't move a lot of product to cover their losses. There are just too many flakes out there that push the limits to see what kind of a scam they can run. eBay wants to be like Amazon where their sellers are businesses and not the individual selling from home with the small stuff.

Too bad they have a patent on the online auction software, I'd love to see another site for the individuals with the protection for sellers they use to have.