Presenting the Shelf Queens!

Hi everyone this will be my second group build after I participated in the Grumman Iron works GB which I enjoyed. I'll be finishing the Trumpeter 1/32 F-105D, I started it about 10 years ago, as it's such a big and time consuming model my interest waned and also I had some problems with the kit, such as the main gear snapping off. Still to be done is finishing the painting, weapon load and the decaling. Picture below:

2015-01-12185108.jpg

OK- I'm in! Enough time lurking. Great idea to start the new year! I need this beast off of my shelf!

This is the first time I am participating in a group build, rules look pretty obvious but please let me know if I need to change anything up!

My shelf queen- 1/72 Hasegawa B-47E. I started this kit back in December 2008. During the 6 years since starting it I have had three concentrated efforts to build the kit which have all stalled just due to getting burned out on the overwhelming work that needs to be done to make the kit look nice.

I have decided on a compromise on finishing the kit. Not going to detail it as planned. My current plan is to build it as a decent 3' model that will look nice in my collection of 1/72 aircraft.

I have the True Details resin wheels, the Pavla seats (cockpit was already in before Pavla came out with thiers) and Wolfpack Decals.

A week or so ago when I first saw this GB, the model had the fuselage and wings all assembled with the roots filled and puttied. The engines were all assembled and sanded smooth and the wheels, landing gear, etc all had been trimmed and prepped for primer.

I got excited about this queen again and have since done the following:

1) gave the kit a thourough dusting and washed the surfaces

2) re-scribed the engine pods from the sanding as well as the wing root areas.

3) primered everything

4) painted wheels and landing gear

5) painted the insides of the gear bays and basic kit cockpit

6) painted the external fuel tanks the day-glo orange color

7) painted the fan blades on the engines and masked over those so the pods can be painted

8) started final surface prep for the white paint to be followed by the NMF aluminum on the top side.

I will figure out how to post photos this week and get some up here to show my progress!

I'm continuing the model I started in this thread, it's a MiG-29.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=277570

I'm going to reattach some parts, paint it, mask it, paint it some more, coat it, decal it, and keep the weathering to a minimum before I satin-coat it.

I started it in July 2014 but I had a painting accident and stripped the paint off.

I put the MiG on hold because of school, there was just no time.

I'm in I suppose. All of these kits haven't been touched in at least 2 years except the F-5F It was in the Bad Guys BG and never got finished. The only thing that has been done to it since the end of the GB is me playing with the base. The EA-6B has a huge amount of AM and the others are out of the box. they have all been shelved due to being frustrated, overwhelmed, and my airbrush being out of commission. The F-5 might not meet the time line but its the closest to being done so I will start with it.

After its done I will turn my attention to the A-1H Skyraider and move on from there. I don't see the Prowler being done in time because of the amount of work that has not only been done to it so far but also the amount of work still needing to be done on it. I'm not sure where the build threads for everything are but the only one that doesn't have an in progress is the C-17. Please let me know if I don't qualify because I have failed at numerous other GB's in the past. Thanks guys.

20150119_230524_zpsf6c2f3a0.jpg

Decided to attempt a second kit for this GB the 1/35 Dragon M270 MLRS. I normally do aircraft and found this kit a bit of a struggle, particuarly the tracks. Also in the time i've had this kit the decals have disintegrated so hopefully I can get some new ones from Dragon.

2015-01-23%2015.48.27.jpg

I'm really close to finishing the first shelf queen, so I'm starting the next one. It's the Dragon 1/72 Sd.Kfz.181 Ausf.E Tiger I mid-production with Zimmerit. I started it in 2006 and have been working on it on and off (mostly off) since then. The last thing I did was the attachment bar for the side skirts last spring.

The problem that made me put the model away was with the tank treads. It turns out that sunlight turns the flexible Dragon tracks into hard, brittle, unglueable, useless things. The tracks that came with my 1/72 Hummel are a total loss (and the kit is out of production and Dragon has no replacements, so all the work I did on that was wasted). Only an inch of both of the Tiger tracks are this way, but it already broke twice and it will be a trick to make it work.

7ejb6gt.jpg

I did major surgery to the gunner's door at the top of the turret because it was molded on backwards and far too tall. I added grab handles, scratchbuilt some details on the hull, and did a lot of work on the commander's copula. The fit between the top and bottom hulls is unimaginably bad - it's like they are parts for different kits. It took a lot of cutting to make them fit. I believe the current Dragon 1/72 Tigers are a lot better.

The gun barrel is a metal replacement from Aber. I have the KMY photoetch set, but I didn't use any of it except to measure my scratchbuilt constructs.

This will be done in a single color tan scheme.

After a chat with Corsairman, I'm in.

I went through the stash last weekend and pulled out all the 1:48 kits that were started on and sell off the rest. Changing scales.

Anyway, I ran across a Hasegawa F4U-4b I started rescribing many moons ago. Too far along to include in for sale pile so I decided to use it for a paint mule.

It was about 95 percent rescribed and got put back in the box and forgotten. No idea why. It actually looked pretty good. So I glued the wing on it and began planning out a non correct paint scheme for it.

The vitals

Kit: Hasegawa F4U-4B (raised panel lines)

Year started: about 1996 or 1997

Left to do: Scribe horizontal stabs and clean up work, paint.

Why stalled: No idea, probably related to ADD, OCD or both.

I'm not going to bother much with the rest of the scribing since I'm using it as a mule. Toying with a modern wildish paint job consisting of skulls, fire, reapers, etc over black.

Maybe not a popular decision with some but I gotta do what I gotta do. I've always been more into the painting anyway.

I have a high end vinyl cutter and have been doing custom masks for about a year now, so it's time to do some testing.

Here is what it looked like when I started fitting masks. This is not in any way the final layout. Pretty much just seeing how far I can push the detail in the masks in this scale.

timesup00001.jpg

I have since primed it and will get a pic of that today. Right now I'm off to pick up some paint I need for this project.

I was just looking at some kits in the stash today. I pulled out my Tamiya 1:32 F-4J Phantom. It was made in 1997, I bought it 1997, and started it in 1997. It's almost 20 years old, I can't believe it. No wonder the detail painting in the cockpit was sharper. I was 20 years younger, and could see.

After a chat with Corsairman, I'm in.

I went through the stash last weekend and pulled out all the 1:48 kits that were started on and sell off the rest. Changing scales.

Anyway, I ran across a Hasegawa F4U-4b I started rescribing many moons ago. Too far along to include in for sale pile so I decided to use it for a paint mule.

It was about 95 percent rescribed and got put back in the box and forgotten. No idea why. It actually looked pretty good. So I glued the wing on it and began planning out a non correct paint scheme for it.

The vitals

Kit: Hasegawa F4U-4B (raised panel lines)

Year started: about 1996 or 1997

Left to do: Scribe horizontal stabs and clean up work, paint.

Why stalled: No idea, probably related to ADD, OCD or both.

I'm not going to bother much with the rest of the scribing since I'm using it as a mule. Toying with a modern wildish paint job consisting of skulls, fire, reapers, etc over black.

Maybe not a popular decision with some but I gotta do what I gotta do. I've always been more into the painting anyway.

I have a high end vinyl cutter and have been doing custom masks for about a year now, so it's time to do some testing.

Here is what it looked like when I started fitting masks. This is not in any way the final layout. Pretty much just seeing how far I can push the detail in the masks in this scale.

timesup00001.jpg

I have since primed it and will get a pic of that today. Right now I'm off to pick up some paint I need for this project.

i LOVE those masks!

i dont know if i'll submit, but mine is the trumpeter 1/32 F4U...

THE KIT:

got the aires cockpit, engine, and a bunch of eduard stuff, and other fiddly bits...

i have NEVER worked with resin before and know nothing about it, but i wanted it to look as good as possible

THE DETAILS:

i was trying to make it for my dad for his birthday as its one of his favorite aircraft (besides the P 51)... i spent alot of time on the engine, scratchbuilding and when i did the dry fit, the kit cowl doesnt fit right... its too small or i have too much crap on the engine...

Picture044.jpg

Picture002.jpg

THE STALL:

the aires cockpit was a bear and im still not sure its going to fit as well as i would like... also the engine whats-its listed above...

and, since it was warm (spring and summer came and went 3x) i started back on my 1:1 1976 AMC JEEP CJ5... THAT takeas a lot of time too...

Picture002_zpsab9cfe63.jpg

20140520_223445_zps94d073e6.jpg

grabber_zps97157a24.jpg

DSC_5283_zps36675866.jpg

i have since picked up the corsair, and the jeep is on hold until i get some stuff back for it... and it warms up some... and if i ever get my detached garage built

Edited by TexasBlues

I've started back, but have a busy sched (excuses...I know)

I will tRY to get it done in time... I have until June, so maybe i'll be ok

i'll keep you posted....

should progress pix go on this thread or in 'in progress'?

I SHOULD be getting my 1:1 engine back this weekend... looking forward to finally dropping it in the frame, so I can set the tub and make some progress

• 2 weeks later...

Okay I'll join in and make yet another attempt at finishing my CH-178 (Mi-17V-5).

I started this in August 2011 using the Hobby Boss 1/72 Mi-8 kit, got stalled in the early going, tried to resume it for the Bad Boys GB, got stalled again, and haven't touched it since January 2014.

Here's where things are at this moment:

F8QNuwD.jpg

As mentioned, I'm using the Hobby Boss 1/72 Mi-8 kit, along with Pavla troop seats, Eduard interior and exterior etch, CanMilAir decals for CH-178 in Afghanistan, and a lot of cutting and sheet styrene.

The initial thread from 2011 is here: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=224103

and the build thread from the Bad Boys GB is here: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=268878

As you can see there is still a lot of work to do, but I think I will be able to close it all up pretty soon; hopefully once the fuselage halves are together things will proceed at a better pace.

1) The Model (as much detail as possible, some shots of the current state of completion would be great)

14183364168_4c0e15008b_b.jpg

Phone is there for the Modeler's Allaince Shelf Queen II build, I finished one model, but this was one of the entries that didn't get done.

2) Year/Month started

I started this in September of 2010?! It was yesterday wasn't it!? :jaw-dropping:

3) When the project stalled and why

This is a what if, and it was supposed to be like the Russian T-10 prototype (but in Tomcat form)

T-10-1_04.jpg

it stalled for a lot of reasons, I ran into some PSR difficulty with the new fins, I moved to another state, the whole thing just kind of fell behind and out of sight out of mind. The other aspect that delayed it was the Prototype idea just kind of fell out of favor, So I was at a dead end as to what to do with. Its hard to finish something you are not excited about, and I am terrible about needing a final plan to make progress, so without one progress stops. I think a new scheme will jump start this (the two tone just wasn't doing it anymore), but I don't know what yet! Just something exciting, still Russian.

4) What is left to do

New fins, adjusted shape on the Horizontal Stabs, masking the canopy, the alpha probe, Landing gear, picking a final scheme (there is more but I've typed enough!)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I'd like to join with one of my long-time shelf sitter

Italeri 1/72 Su-34 Fullback

It was started about three years back, but I somehow stalled when I saw all the small and big modifications necessary to turn it into an accurate replica...

Now I will soon have more beautiful shelf space and more finished kits are needed to go behind the nice glass doors. So the Su-34 shall be one of them.

I will keep the build quite simple tho, mostly OOB. A few small tweaks here and there as I go along but I don't wanna get lost again...deadline in the summer sure sounds feasible for now.

Looking forward to all your builds as well guys!

Cheers, Andy

2015-02-26%2021.48.12.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Joining the party quite late but, believe it or not, I do have "some" shelf queens :rolleyes:

I will be humble and only join with one to give myself a chance to complete it ;) It will be a Hasegawa 1/72 Super Hornet from VFA-213 I began a while ago, see thread here: My link

It will be built in flight.

Cheers,

Arnaud

• 1 month later...

Still May the Fourth here in Hawaiʻi and as the Star Wars GB closes, I'm jumping into the Shelf Queen GB with my one and only unfinished project. Honestly. I've seemed to avoided the stash bug and only have a few kits sitting in boxes at any one time. Think there are maybe five kits in my modest stash right now.

Every other model I've blasted through even if it took a complete new paint job or ordering replacement parts. But this one, could never put in those last few hours/weeks/months.

IMG_20150503_103017_715.jpg

The AMT/ERTL Cut-away Millennium Falcon. Started the kit in 2007 and quit just a few weks in. Decided early on to add LEDs/fiber optics to jazz it up and it all got too complicated/daunting. No more work on it for 7 years where I blasted through and painted the interior. After that nothing.

No longer.

Painting is bascially finished on everything, though will need to do the maroon and dark gray panels on the exterior.

IMG_20150503_103158_072.jpg

Now its just drilling, running thread, cable management, soldering, and testing for light leaks.

IMG_20150503_104610_293.jpg

Sure there is still a little scratchbuilding and some little fiddly bits to deal with but with some work (and luck) I'm hoping to get it all finished up by July 1. Glad to have some peer pressure to get stuff done. Realize that finishing by July 1 may be optimistic but this GB will certainly bring me closer to the finish line.

Will deefinitely be done before the Falcon returns to the big screen this winter.

I would like to join this GB with a Revell SR-71A, (original 1969 kit, not the rekitted Monogram 5810). I started this project in September of 2013 and worked on it for a little over a month. October saw it get pushed aside in order to work on some other projects and it is still collecting dust on a remote shelf. See, http://www.arcforums...=blackbird&st=0 for the work in progress topic. I still have to add various details, join the top and bottom fuselage halves, paint and add decals.

This is my original issue Airfix C-130K/ Hercules C1. Got it to this stage after many battles with lifting paint and broken refueling probes and props. Then could not bring myself to decal it due to all the walkway decals (that are yellow/red) and making sure they were oriented correctly.

Started this one in May 2013 and last touched it Jan 2014.

So it is time to get it finished.

C-130K_38_zps26f01190.jpg

C-130K_39_zps9efa988c.jpg

C-130K_43_zps4917071a.jpg

What is left to do?

Some touch ups, decalling, adding eziline HF antennas and tidying up the stand along with a final flat coat. Could know it over in a couple of sittings if I put myself to task.

Edited by Trojan Thunder